My Little Thief!

meowmixer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued Lily when some careless clod dumped her out one cold morning and she has been a funny albeit ornery little furball the past 6 months!

She seems too smart for her own good as she opens up kitchen drawers and steals things. (She fetches too but that is just fun!)

You can't leave a straw in a drink because she is quicker than us all and will take off down the hall with a straw in a heartbeat!

At first it was "cute" but now I fear she really needs a "Twelve Step" program as I occasionally find her "treasure trove" of straws, paper,milk rings,hair scrunchies, missing earrings,etc.

Does anyone else have a thief in the house? If so, how do you handle it?

Currently,I can't find my favorite sportswatch and I suspect Lil has it hidden somewhere in the house!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be sure to put everything valuable behind closed doors/drawers and let her have "her" toys to play with and horde. We had to put child-proof things on our lower cabinet doors in the kitchen to keep Hannah out.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TheCatSite.

You are not alone.
I have a kitty, Isis, who sounds just like Lily.

Nothing is safe from her watchful eyes.

I have caught her taking my watch, eyebrow tweezers, a spoon from our kitchen counter, chap stick, my glasses, a hair brush...
the list is almost endless.
If she can't carry it, she pushes it.
Her stash place is under our living room couch.

She never had a home until I adopted her from a shelter.
I suspect that she will forever be in a kind of survival mode and that is why she takes things.

To answer your question....
Depending on Lily's age, over time she might relax and trust that food, shelter will always be there for her.
I survive living with my little thief by putting everything away in cupboards or drawers.
When I snooze, I lose.

If I can help you with any site questions, just send a PM to my username, I will get back to you asap.
Please make yourself at home.

mmfh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your post cracks me up! I'm sorry I didn't mean to make lite of your problem its just I can relate to what you are saying.

Our Bengal loves straws and the rings off of milk jugs and can play with them until he decides to stash them somewhere and I still have not figured out exactly where he is taking everything. I have a good idea.

At first I thought he must be eating them but I watched him closely once and when he was done playing he ran off with it and a minute later he came out with out it. I think his stash is under my daughters black hole under her bed.

We have two cats and figuring they needed some more toys especially him I bought some toys for them and actually made some toys from stuff around the house and they seem to keep them pretty busy.

I don't notice straws and milk rings dissappearing anymore so I thought that was probably the fix.

So, first thing that comes to mind is does your cat have lots of toys that he likes to play with?

Our Bengal's favorite toy is a old sock with catnip inside and some loosely wadded up newspaper and the open end sewn shut and a couple of milk jug ties sewn on for good measure. Keeps him busy until he gets tired!

That helped with our thief and maybe it will give you some idea's for yours.

Good Luck!

Mm

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My missing list: earrings, a couple of necklaces, half a box of Q-Tips, three tweezers, two small pocket knives, one large pocket knife, several pens. I know where they are but any attempt to retrieve the items sends Da Magpie into a tizzy because I am stealing HER stuff. She has also swiped two hair brushes, a bra, car keys, a small mirror, a couple of make-up brushes, all retrieved and kept hidden from her. Her best attempt - caught her trying to swipe the cell phone. I have learned to keep things away from her and leave her with her 'treasures' and her toys which she mostly stuffs into the same drawer that she has claimed as her 'treasure chest'

mmfh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

My missing list: earrings, a couple of necklaces, half a box of Q-Tips, three tweezers, two small pocket knives, one large pocket knife, several pens. I know where they are but any attempt to retrieve the items sends Da Magpie into a tizzy because I am stealing HER stuff. She has also swiped two hair brushes, a bra, car keys, a small mirror, a couple of make-up brushes, all retrieved and kept hidden from her. Her best attempt - caught her trying to swipe the cell phone. I have learned to keep things away from her and leave her with her 'treasures' and her toys which she mostly stuffs into the same drawer that she has claimed as her 'treasure chest'
Now that is too funny!
At least if you are missing something you know the first place to look

Cats with that much personality are the ones you miss the most when they are gone.

Mm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowmixer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for sharing your tales of thievery!

Lily has TONS of toys I rotate to keep her interest, but she much prefers my stuff!
Get this guys..Sometimes right before she does something naughty like jump on the counter or attempt to steal something she knows she has to split with in a hurry, she will meow once and look at me.. It's like she is either asking permission or TELLING me she is about to do it! (She is much younger and faster than I am so by the time I have figured out what she is up to, all I see is "kitty rump" blazing down the hall!)

I guess I will be going to the home supply place and putting "kitty proof" locks on all the cabinets and drawers...lol

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by meowmixer

Get this guys..Sometimes right before she does something naughty like jump on the counter or attempt to steal something she knows she has to split with in a hurry, she will meow once and look at me.. It's like she is either asking permission or TELLING me she is about to do it! (She is much younger and faster than I am so by the time I have figured out what she is up to, all I see is "kitty rump" blazing down the hall!)
Lily...
fast as lightening.