Anybody know anything about bank accounts and/or insurance?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need help!

My mom died recently, and I'm trying to handle everything (but I'm kinda clueless).

The insurance question. She had a small life insurance policy that I just remembered about. The problem is that she went by two different names due to some confusion as to which one she should use. I had the death certificate made in the name that's on her birth certificate but the policy is in the alternate name she used. I got forms to fill out from the insurance company, but they don't tell me what kind of documentation they will take as proof that it's the same person. Anybody know what they might need before I go through their 800 number which wasn't too helpful the last time I called?

The banking question. My aunt (my mother's sister) had my mom as beneficiary on her bank accounts. She went there today to change them to me. Two different banks. They both told her they needed a copy of the death certificate. I'm going to call them tomorrow to find out why they would need that, but does anybody know if that's standard practice to change a beneficiary? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me - what if she just decided she wanted someone else as beneficiary?

Anyway, I'm going to sort it out tomorrow (hopefully), just thought I'd see if any of you guys have any knowledge in the meantime.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hon, dealing with estates and all that is such a nightmare! I went through it 5 years ago when my mom passed away and it took forever (most of that was my fault though). I have NO idea why the bank needs documentation for your Aunt to change a bene on her own account. That doesn't make any sense to me either, since it IS her account. But, I learned if that is what they need then so be it. I would definitely call to find out the reasoning behind that.

As for the life insurance, the only way you're going to get the info on what documentation for that, unfortunately, is to call the 800 number. Each company is different. I would think a copy of her social security card may be enough but they may also want legal documentation of why she changed her name, or a photo ID. If you didn't get much help the first time, ask to speak to a supervisor right off the bat. You may have just gotten someone newly hired that wasn't completely up to speed yet. A supervisor should be able to tell you exactly what you need to do.

Do you have to file for an estate? If so, the estate lawyer for my mom's helped a lot as did the people at the Register of Wills. In fact, one person at RoW actually took me on as a special case (think he just wanted me OUT of the system so they could be done with me!). But you or someone is going to have to talk to the companies involved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Calico. I knew I would have to call everyone, just thought I'd post last night because I was feeling frustrated and down in the dumps a bit.

I tackled the banks today. Turns out the reason they need the death certificate is that my aunt set up the account not as a beneficiary (like she told me) but as co-owners of the account. So that makes sense. I was able to fax over what they needed (hopefully, I haven't heard from either bank yet wanting additional information).

I'll tackle the insurance later. I wish I had been smart enough to have them put both names on the death certificate. Oh well, live and learn I guess. I'm sure it will all work out one way or another

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry sweetie. I don't have experience with this, but just wanted to send hugs and vibes. Like losing your mom isn't hard enough without everything else that has to be dealt with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I'm so sorry sweetie. I don't have experience with this, but just wanted to send hugs and vibes. Like losing your mom isn't hard enough without everything else that has to be dealt with.
Thanks, that's helps