Spider hunter!

beans_etc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I went down to feed Iroh this morning, and he pranced over looking so smug with himself as I noticed that floating upside down and all shriveled up in his water dish was an ugly dead spider. Ew... *Heebie jeebies as she dumps it down the bathroom sink*

Does anyone else's cat hunt down spiders or bugs in the house? I've heard that some cats will bring you their creepy crawly kills as a display of affection. D: No thanks, sweetie! Eek!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wiggies is the best spider-man in our household. Although both cats haven't been munching on their big kills lately, they both tend to just swat at spiders and harrass them for a while before letting them go, and then I have to deal with them.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both of my girls attack any kind of insect in the house. They've been the demise of many a spider, roach, gecko, and beetle. Just this morning, I caught one of my girls playing with a beetle. She was not happy when I took her toy away!

My neighbor was outside this morning cleaning up a dead rodent that her indoor/outdoor cat left for her on the chair of her patio table. Her DH is sick and that's usually his responsibility. She said, "I'll do vomit, feces, urine. I don't do dead!"

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of my kitties are good little spider hunters which is just as well as I'm not keen on them! Ripley will play with the spider, swat it with her paw then look all confused when it doesn't move any more. Newt will eat them but spits out the legs (disgusting, I know
). Both of them go crazy if there is a fly in the house.

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I still have nightmares about the MASSIVE spider Jupey caught when he was about 6 months old. I remember seeing him with it's legs poking out of his mouth and I've never got over it!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jupeycat

I still have nightmares about the MASSIVE spider Jupey caught when he was about 6 months old. I remember seeing him with it's legs poking out of his mouth and I've never got over it!
"it's legs poking out of his mouth"

Isis is the hunter in our family...
no bug enters our home without soon becoming her yummy treat.

Bug breath.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ku Ku is my in-house bug-hunter/terminator.
She won't miss any - even flying ones.
While it's very convenient & economical that I don't need to purchase those roach-bait and things like that...uh...I still have to literally "pick it up" to dispose it every time she brings over to show me "the catch"...

kittyxsasha12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spider hunting is one of my cats' favorite hobbies. I'll be going downstairs to do the laundry and see them in the corner taking turns batting a half dead spider before one of them finally eats it

I figure them killing spiders is their way of earning their keep

faerian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Squirrel likes to try and hunt bugs, but he gets frustrated because I keep taking them away from him before he can catch them. XD

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Faerian

Squirrel likes to try and hunt bugs, but he gets frustrated because I keep taking them away from him before he can catch them. XD
Praise him really well when he finds bugs to chase or tries hunting them - "Aaawwww, thank you for watching it for me, baby!".
That's how I "trained" Ku Ku to be a bug hunter

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two aren't really into killing bugs but more so just terrorizing them, especially Petunia! My only is fear is that they might come across an insect one day that might be harmful to them. Especially spiders since I'm starting to see them more now that it's getting colder outside. Are they harmful to our feline friends?

lovemytrent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KKH

Praise him really well when he finds bugs to chase or tries hunting them - "Aaawwww, thank you for watching it for me, baby!".
That's how I "trained" Ku Ku to be a bug hunter
LOL That's exactly what we do with Bree. First time she saw a spider, swatted it down from the wall and ate it, I started encouraging her, gave her a treat after she ate the spider, and praised the heck out of her. We may not have mice around (I find mice cute, actually), but we have quite a few spiders now and then and I am scared to DEATH of those things. She can eat all the spiders she wants, and I'll love her for it.

My dog tries to hunt bees and flies and wasps. I don't let him do it because 1) bee hunting could be dangerous and 2) he will eat a fly and then proceed to lick my face. Ick.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LoveMyTrent

My dog tries to hunt bees and flies and wasps. I don't let him do it because 1) bee hunting could be dangerous and 2) he will eat a fly and then proceed to lick my face. Ick.

Ku Ku once tried to lick my face while I was half-sleep...I somehow didn't let her. When I woke up following day, I saw dead-roach lying on the floor - yup, she's the prime suspect. She must have carried it in her mouth as usual & tried to show it to me but couldn't do so since I was zzzzzz...

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have wolf spiders in this area as my house is at the top of a ravine. Every once in a while, usually once a year, one makes it's way into our cellar. Since we have hot water heat, one found its way up a pipe into our livingroom. Wolf spiders are BIG, black and furry. It gives me the creeps to even write those words
It was early am and Arthur my little B&W cat was carrying something in his mouth. I thought is was a mouse as it looked so big. Well......it was a wolf spider. I screamed, he dropped it and ran, I ran after it with a pile of books thinking if I lost it, I would have to move to another house! Threw the books on it, called my son to stop by and remove it as my husband was out. Sat down and cried like a baby!
Took it to Cornell Cooperative Extention for ID. Harmless. Oh Yea, is a heart attack harmless? I still get freaked out when I see one of my cats chasing something across the floor! I don't mind snakes, or mice. But something about spiders.........

clowangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually won't let Sho hunt spiders because they're such useful animals. He can feel free to kill the mice he finds though. But spiders, no, he can't kill since they hunt other pests like flies and roaches.

Sho goes absolutely nuts when he sees a fly. It's so cute because he stinks at catching them. He'll jump into the air and swat but he can never catch one. My father finds it extremely amusing.

dandi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Shady used to spot spiders or lizards and meow very loudly for me to come and "take care" of it. If it seemed like it was going to get away before I arrived, he would give it a tap or two to stop it from moving but he wouldn't kill it. Just kept meowing for me to do something about it. After I squashed the spider or tossed out the lizard I would praise him and call him a "mighty hunter". Thinking back on it, I wonder if he thought he was giving me a treat or something. sort of like "Come here Mom! I've found something for you to play with!"