urgent: swollen stomach, not eating, but not fip

ms99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,
Unfortunately first time poster in this difficult time and I appreciate any input.

Our almost 14 year old cat (his name is Sylvester) has a swollen stomach so last week we took him to the vet.
He did x-rays but because he had so much fluid nothing showed up

Then after reading these forums, people suggested to test for FIP which we did on Saturday and yesterday test results came back showing no FIP.

The cat has not eaten much over the weekend (in fact I would say has not eating anything).

Right now doctor is telling us that it's either:
1. heart decease (and explain that it would be possible for his stomach to be swollen as a result)

2. Liver

3. Tumor

He is suggesting ultrasound which is $500, or another round of x-ray (but taking some fluids out first) or blood work.

The price is a bit of an issue because we've already spent $150 on x-ray, $150 on FIP tests, $80 on visits and I just don't want to do random tests and while while cat is suffering.

Certainly the doctor says this is a serious issue (and we very much know this given the fact that he is not eating) and that is why i wanted to hear from fellow friends what they think we should do.

I would welcome any input please and thank you in advance.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have the tests done to see if you can save your cat. He is obviously suffering. It may turn out to be something easily treatable but they really need to be able to do further tests to find out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ms99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks AlleyGirl, but my question is which one so that the cat is not suffering?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you done a bloodpanel? That might point you to which direction/which tests to do next.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First off, there is no test for FIP- so I would ask for my money back on that one.
Generally, when they are that old, unless they are running free and unvaccinated or living in crowded conditions, FIP shouldn't even be considered.

I would suggest that they drain the fluid and run more films, that is the least costly procedure and might give them answers. You may not like what they find, but it is up to you and your vet to determine the best course of action from there-

Wishing you luck-

MA

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would say do the bloodwork first. If it's a liver issue, you'll know then. And of the ultrasound/x-rays/labwork it will be the cheapest and definitely a good next step.

If he's already taken rads, what is he hoping to see on an ultrasound or more x-rays? Just to see if the fluid build up is increasing, or an abnormality in the liver/kidneys/etc.? If it's the later, then definitely the blood work first. Usually if you can see abnormalities in the liver or kidneys on an x-ray or ultrasound, the numbers will be pretty high.

bfish29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WOW! I am very surprised they did not drain some of the fluids immediately, at least to make him more comfortable until they do find the problem. I have had two cats in the past that had fluid build up, and that is one of the first things they did to give some temp. relief. Best of luck
to you and Mr. Sylvester!

Bobby and the Gang

ms99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks hissy and CatNurse22

Altough i can't get money back fro fip tests, i will ask the vet why he has done x-ray without taking any fluids out.

Basically when he showed me the film, it was just big white space, and only now he is talking about taking draining the fluids.

So if he won't charge me for another x-ray, i don't mind paying for taking fluids out and doing that option first.

He says that with xray he might be able to see problems with liver and tumor.

If he won't go for it, then i think blood work might be a better option.

Shouldn't problem with liver and tumor show in blood results?

ms99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Bobby and the Gang; yeah, I was surprised as well.

How did your two stories end up? What kind of tests did you do? did they find any serious problem?

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ms99

thanks hissy and CatNurse22

Altough i can't get money back fro fip tests, i will ask the vet why he has done x-ray without taking any fluids out.

Basically when he showed me the film, it was just big white space, and only now he is talking about taking draining the fluids.

So if he won't charge me for another x-ray, i don't mind paying for taking fluids out and doing that option first.

He says that with xray he might be able to see problems with liver and tumor.

If he won't go for it, then i think blood work might be a better option.

Shouldn't problem with liver and tumor show in blood results?
Liver, yes. Tumor, probably not. If he rules out liver issue the only way to really tell if there is a tumor is with rads. And with the fluid build up it'll be hard to see. Sometimes even fluid free bellies are hard to distinguish tumors on, especially is he has not so up to date equipment.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If this were me, I'd actually consider going to another vet. A vet that says they're testing for FIP is not one I'd trust. And not including a blood panel to begin with is - to me - another red flag. I'd ask for a copy of the file and I'd go somewhere else.

Of course - doing exactly this saved the lives of two of our cats.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Laurie about seeing another vet. My vet will generally do blood tests first, then x-rays, then ultrasound as needed. I'm really surprised that he sent you home like that without doing anything to help with the fluid. Also, since he is not eating this is an urgent problem.

What other symptoms does he have? Has he been vomiting or anything?

This site has some other symptoms along with possible causes. http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/...r/c_ct_ascites

I would take him in to see someone else first thing in the morning, unless you have an emergency vet who could see him tonight.

bfish29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ms99

Thanks Bobby and the Gang; yeah, I was surprised as well.

How did your two stories end up? What kind of tests did you do? did they find any serious problem?
Both of my cases were due to enlarged hearts. My dear boy, Dancer, a black persian who was 13 at the time, lost his battle about 3 days after the diagnosis, which was 6 years ago. The other was a BIG (21lb mix breed!!), Shadow, abandoned by his family at the age of 14 (dropped off on the stoop of our local shelter!!!!!!!!). I had him about 2 years when he began showing problems, even after losing 4+ lbs. He had began showing improvement after a complete diagnosis(ultra sound, EKG,etc) and heart med's, but ended up having a heart attach on my bath floor and passing away in a matter of minutes. At any rate, on both situations, the VERY first thing my vet did was drain the fluids so they could get proper x-rays.