What do you do for work?

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgive me if this has been posted about recently. I just thought it would be interesting to know what people do for work? Feel free to also state what you WISH you were doing if its not what you are doing now.

I work in a dental laboratory. We don't see patients, we make the crowns, dentures etc. I work in the office. It is an interesting field of work. Always learning something new. My organizational (read: perfectionism) skills are coming in handy. Technicians focus so intensely on the work at hand they forget other things like due dates.
I like conversing with our clients. You get to know them quickly and some of them are a real hoot to talk to.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work with special needs children. I love it. It doesn't pay enough to live on though, so I clean houses and offices to make ends meet.

I wish I didn't have to do the cleaning work, because it is heavy labor and my body is beginning to break down. I have arthritis, which is getting worse, and Fibromyalgia.

I may have to consider other work in the future, though I hate the idea. I love working with my girls so much.

Your job does sound interesting. what kind of training/education did you need for that?

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work retail. If retail paid well enough, I'd stay in it... I enjoy where I am now. It's a very creative environment.

I am back in school working slowly toward an MFA in Creative Writing. I'd love to teach at the college level and write in my free time. And get published...

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I work in a pub as a barmaid and i love it i wish i had more hours though, once we get our money worries sorted im going to go on a pub management course so i can then manage them aslo

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am at this point semi-retired, and in the process of tryingto become a student again....having a few issue's.

However up until October of last year i was an office manager who over-saw the running of two office sites for a semi-large franchise distributor. I spent 17 years doing that then due to some issue's regarding time, health, and just being sick of being on-call 24/7 I decided to move on....

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a labor and delivery nurse, and also a photographer. I'm taking courses in web design, although I doubt I'll ever make that a profession...it's driving me crazy at the moment!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a Registered Nurse working in a surgical area. Previously to that I did all kinds of jobs from hospitality/restaurant to office, with the last one being as a Paralegal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
otto: I have FM too! Not a club ya wanna be part of eh?
I really feel for you doing house cleaning. My Mom raised us 4 girls on her own doing house cleaning. It can be really rough on the body. But I think it is great you work with Sp-ed kids. My neice is in Sp-ed. From speaking with my sister the best sp-ed teachers are the ones who really enjoy it and enjoy the kids. They can be characters!

I got lucky with this job. I was working retail and needed out. They said they would train so I went for the interview. They actually didn't hire me as first choice...which I don't let them live down.
The guy they hired never showed for his first day, never even called. Well, his loss my gain!
I've been here for 8 yrs and still not bored. I don't have any college exp., I only have my GED under my belt. I had to leave high school because of the FM.
It makes me concerned if ever I would need to find another job. I don't have any of the usual software exp. most people have who work in offices. I'll cross that bridge if I come to it I suppose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

Farmer, which means I am doing about the same as everyone else here - looking out the windows and cussing the weather because harvest isn't completed.
What kind of farm?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll never guess what I do.
Have you guessed yet?
Ta Da! I am a welder

I weld the housings that are part of the generators that airlines use.
Right now, I am off work due to injury though...

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a PD adjustor for an insurance company. Specifically auto adjusting.

I don't know what I wish I was doing. I might go back to school once DH makes alot of money and we can afford it

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I teach English as a foreign language, mainly how to translate from German into English, and also do some translating on the side.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

Farmer, which means I am doing about the same as everyone else here - looking out the windows and cussing the weather because harvest isn't completed.
I know exactly how you feel. My aunt and uncle work on a farm in a small town called Dinsmore (about a 3 and half hour drive north west of me). They've done a bit of everything. They started with wheat and then went to barley. They're the co-founders of Golden Grains barley flour. Then they did grass seed for a while and now are doing canola.

As for me, I'm a prison guard. It's a decent job if you can stand the guards spitting and urinating on you
but it's good money($100,000+ per year for 3 days of work a week), full pension package, and benefits. But it's not what I want to do for a career. I'm in school training to be a vet.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work in a call center, specifically a Student Loan center. I take calls from borrowers but mostly from other reps who have a question or want me to look up something. I also take the dreaded supervisor calls. These are the ones that 1) the rep gave them wrong info and they are mad. 2) the rep gave them correct info and they are mad. 3) They didn't pay their bill and now they are mad and whining about their credit report. 4) The actually want to compliment a rep.

Right now I am training someone to do what I do. I get to sit back and listen to her on the calls. (I had 4 hours vacation time today to take DH for his Dr's appointment. Don't have to be in until 1pm)

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I work in a mini market/deli.. Its just a really small store in my town, we have basically everything there lol. The only thing is, I REALLY hate it there.. The thing is, I hated it so much, that I left.. & I was working at a pizza place down the street from my house, and I absolutely LOVED it there. But, the owner is a real hothead, and I made him mad one night, and got fired. There really is no work around my area.. But, guess who was hiring? Yes-my old job. Luckily, my boss took me back right away. I never knew how popular lunchmeat is until I started working there.. Especially around here, nobody around here cooks, and there is an unusual lunchmeat obession lol. This place gets so busy, and there is only 1 person working.. So it puts a lot of pressure on me, and I usually leave there in a really crabby mood. My boss' house is attached to the store.. So, the best part of the job, is actually not the job at all.. She has 5 parrotts, and a cockatiel. I spend some of my free time with the cockatiel.. And, she has a cat that kind of adopted her, he lives in her back yard..I like to go out and give him loves and feed him...

As far as what I would LIKE to be doing.. It is my dream to work with animals! I would like to be a vet, but I'm not sure I could handle having to euthanize..I would be a wreck. I really want to work in a zoo with the big cats. That is my ultimate dream <33

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work in a daycare center with infants 9 months to 18 months old. I have been doing this for 16 years, since I turned 16 years old. I love my current job.

I'm also a Certified Nursing Assistant, but my body can't handle working nights (I get HORRIBLE insomnia when my days are flipped) and every entry position in that field is nights, so I'm stuck working daycare and making much less money.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

I work in a call center, specifically a Student Loan center. I take calls from borrowers but mostly from other reps who have a question or want me to look up something. I also take the dreaded supervisor calls. These are the ones that 1) the rep gave them wrong info and they are mad. 2) the rep gave them correct info and they are mad. 3) They didn't pay their bill and now they are mad and whining about their credit report. 4) The actually want to compliment a rep.

Right now I am training someone to do what I do. I get to sit back and listen to her on the calls. (I had 4 hours vacation time today to take DH for his Dr's appointment. Don't have to be in until 1pm)
Ah student loans. Fun, fun (NOT!)
I had to chat with the financial aid office at my school. I've currently got a loan out. I had dropped out of one program (nursing school) and applied and got into another. In the meantime, the loan I had outstanding came due, and instead of bumping up credit hours (which I was going to do), I just paid on it for 6 months. Becuase it's an unsecured Stafford and dh didn't want to have 6 more months of interest on there (but it just would have been easier to add a 2 credit PE class to be part-time. Whatever. Didn't want to argue with him).

Well, I started nursing school again full-time in August, tried to get the loan defered for the time I'm going to be in school (24 months) and I got this letter in the mail saying that I was defered- for ONE MONTH! ARRRGGGHHH. So I went back to financial aid- and I think it's finally straightened out. The last letter said that my first payment will be due in June 2011, and I graduate in May 2011.

I'm 2 months into a 22 month diploma RN class. The LAST diploma class the hospital's offering, they were approved for a BSN program right before I started.

I have my 1st clinical experience starting next week, and it's in an oncology/hemotology unit. And no- I don't know what to think..........

Cheryl

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
fifi1puss - grain farm, right now it is a mud and snow far. I also have a bit of haylad - enough that I get 30 bales for myself most years. Now 30 bales doesnt sound like a lot unless you know the bales are 1500 pounds

Tiger - there is more crop still in the fields up north. Whassisface on the radio said it is even wetter around PA and area.