Do your kitties stare?

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So Luke has a new slightly creepy bedtime habit.

He is always waiting for me when I come to bed and usually he'll just curl up by my feet as soon as I lay down. The last week or so he's been sitting on my bedside table and just starring. He'll stare at me for 10 or 15 minutes before going to the end of the bed! What is his deal!? It's a little disconcerting to have something starring at you while you're trying to sleep.

Harvey does this a lot in the middle of the night. I'll wake up and he'll be on my bedside table looking at me. But as soon as he sees I'm awake he starts purring and comes and snuggles right next to me. It's like he's waiting for permission to cuddle,

Anybody else have creepy kitty starers?

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love that you posted about this! I was wondering if I was the only one!

I had two cats before I got Rocko and they both are very vocal. But not Rocko. He stares for everything. He is slowly learning how to use his voice from the other kitties. It is super cute when you hear him meow. It is the smallest meow from this really big cat.

I woke up in the middle of the night and he was on top of my bureau, in the semi dark of the room I could see him looking at me. But not nonchalantly. Really boreing holes into me. It is absolutely creepy.

He will do it in the morning also, like your cat he will sit on my bedside table and just stare. I pop open an eyeball occasionally to see if he is still there. He usually is!
It is even more funny when he is RIGHT NEXT TO ME on the bed and he will not only be staring but then I feel a paw on my eyelid or mouth.
Good thing I find that sort of thing endearing!

Than as I get ready he will sit and wait on the bed for me to come over for cuddles...and how does he wait? by sitting and staring at me till I feel so guilty I have to go over and pet him and talk to him.

He also likes to grab me with his paws or just gives a soft touch if I am sitting near him and he wants attention.
It has made me wonder if he lived with someone who is deaf because he doesn't use sound like meowing like most cats but will use his eyes and paws to communicate what he wants. He was 9 when I got him so who knows?

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Larry will stare. He usually does it while I'm on the computer. I turn around and he's just sitting there staring. I'll say, "What're you lookin' at?"....and then he'll come over and rub up against me.

I don't think he can figure out this computer thing.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I typed the question into Google and got the following:

1. Cats do not stare "for no reason". They are very smart animals and it is likely that they are trying to learn about you, trying to figure out what are you thinking! It might not seem so, but house cats actually try hard to understand humans, and to communicate with them!

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Tigers-3675/2008/2/Communication-cats-large-small-1.htm

2. imagine living with creatures 10 times your size and weight that spoke klingon and constantly picked you up and hugged you. ya think about it. I'd stare @ them. I'd study them. I'm sure cats are just as interested in us as we are of them.
http://malaysia.answers.yahoo.com/qu...8045357AArJlyi

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

1. Cats do not stare "for no reason". They are very smart animals and it is likely that they are trying to learn about you, trying to figure out what are you thinking! It might not seem so, but house cats actually try hard to understand humans, and to communicate with them!

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Tigers-3675/2008/2/Communication-cats-large-small-1.htm

2. imagine living with creatures 10 times your size and weight that spoke klingon and constantly picked you up and hugged you. ya think about it. I'd stare @ them. I'd study them. I'm sure cats are just as interested in us as we are of them.
Those are pretty good reasons!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ginger will stare at me for hours, no reason for it, well none that I have figured out but your post, Natalie_ca does make sence!
I sound a lot like Frasier sometimes with Eddie starring at him, lol.
To my cat, if you are wondering what I am thinking, I am thinking "Stop starring at me!!!"
Can't win a starring contest with her either, those lime green eyes will burn your retnas out!
It gets a tad creepy. I tell her to go run around for no reason and stare into the ceiling like the other kitty cats.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Topaz is my starer. Especially in the morning when I won't get up when she thinks I ought to be..

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Great, imagine the notes they are comparing during their nightly pow-wow.

Mine don't usually stare at ME, they stare in the corner right behind my head or over my shoulder and sometimes switch their tails back and forth. I try to ignore them at first but then I just get paranoid that a huge spider is about ready to decend on my head so I finally look all around in that direction...only to look back at them to find them calming grooming themselves. I just KNOW they are laughing inside going "made her look again....cool....let's do it again!".

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Daisy will stare at me for the longest time. One night I fell asleep on the sofa and was awakened by something touching my arm. I opened my eyes to find Daisy with a paw on my forearm and her face about two inches from mine. She touched noses with me and jumped away. Another night, I fell asleep on the sofa and woke up with the sensation of someone staring at me. Marshmallow was standing up on his hind legs watching me. Maybe they're checking to make sure I'm okay, or maybe I do something really fascinating when I sleep.

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
our kitties sure can be creepy, to say the least! love it! I guess I'm used to my cats staring after almost 10 yrs. with both of them, but David creeps me out terribly when I am sleeping every night, and he starts digging and digging on my blankets (different from kneading), like he's trying to dig a hole to China!! I don't know what he is digging for, I'm right THERE!! then he calms down, and sleeps all squished up around my neck, with his face against mine..freak lol

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ku Ku did and does. Usually when she does that, she is waiting for me to finish off something.

Yesterday, while I was doing dishes in a kitchen, I noticed her stare.
Her food & water are by a kitchen sink just next to where I usually stand while using sink. Regardless she usually comes and goes for munchies but yesterday, she was just staring at me from a distance. As soon as I finished off washing & walked away, she dashed out to her food & started crunch-crunching. I realized that she wanted her food & was waiting for me to walk away from her dining area.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get stares everyday. When I am cooking, reading, watching TV, at the computer... I turn around and there are the unblinking eyes of my kitties. I think the only private time I have is when I am in the bathroom.

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girlie Truffles has a staring problem alsooo.

Sometimes ill be spending time with her and she will walk away from me, turn around, sit down and just stare at me with her evil little kitty eyes.

Kinda creepy sometimes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

That's a really good point. I guess I don't stop to think of things from their perspective since I treat them like children rather than four legged creatures,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

I get stares everyday. When I am cooking, reading, watching TV, at the computer... I turn around and there are the unblinking eyes of my kitties. I think the only private time I have is when I am in the bathroom.
Oh if only my bathroom time were private!!
I always have a four legged audience, usually all three!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

I think the only private time I have is when I am in the bathroom.
Must be nice! In this house, the bathroom door actually shuts, but the bottom is high enough that I always have 2 or 3 little kitty faces peering underneath, not the mention the kitty paws that are trying to reach my feet. I think bathroom time is about the ONLY time my cats even know I'm here (what'cha doing mom, huh...huh??????). Oh, and feeding time...then they ALL stare! I feel so unloved........

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kuura has started staring at me when he wants something or is waiting for me to do something. It's a bit distracting when I'm trying to put some eyeliner etc or trying to write something long.
It's hard to try to stay serious when a cat with huge eyes is staring at you and watching your every move. And he does it long time, even half an hour if needed.
He also tries to look serious or interested, but if I look back at him, he'll start blinking at me and does a 'silent meow'.
And when I'm finally finished what i was doing and get up, he'll start meowing and purring like crazy and moves to the next place to stare at me until I do what he wants (give food or attention).

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

That's a really good point. I guess I don't stop to think of things from their perspective since I treat them like children rather than four legged creatures,
Same here