Questions for Cross stichers.....

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Waste canvas: where do you buy it?
2. Online supplies: got any websites that you would recommend purchasing supplies from?

3. You know towels or bookmarks, which you can x-stich a design on.... Like this for the towel: http://z.about.com/d/crossstitch/1/0...Hand-Towel.jpg Do you do anything to the back of it? To hide any messy stiching on the back.....

Thanks

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Do you have a craft store near you? I usually go and buy my threads and canvas locally.
I've never seen waste canvas in Micheals (closest craft store to me).

Originally Posted by Misty8723

I haven't done bookmarks, but the towels I did, I just was careful not to be messy on the back. I'm kind of anal about that anyway, making the back look neat too. I don't know if there's much you could do to hide it actually.
I kinda figured as much but thought I'd ask anyways
Guess I'll have to practice being neater.....

Thanks for the links, I will check em out.... I know my mom ordered from MM for her crochet supplies...but I completely forgot till you mentioned it.

In case anyone else has the same questions, I did find a couple ideas on google..... for the bookmarks, you can glue them on card stock or the like.... for towels you can sew a piece of material on the back to cover any messies.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to buy from Herschners a lot years ago. They always had good prices.

Charles Craft, who makes cross stitch fabric also sells waste canvas. If you have a store by you that carries a lot of cross stitch supplies, they should also carry waste canvas. Charles Craft is a major brand. I've never seen it at Michael's.

http://www.everythingcrossstitch.com...nt-12x-18.aspx

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

In case anyone else has the same questions, I did find a couple ideas on google..... for the bookmarks, you can glue them on card stock or the like.... for towels you can sew a piece of material on the back to cover any messies.
Or what about making it a double-sided bookmark? Do two of them in complentary patterns and glue or stitch them together back to back?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have bought some canvas printed with designs from Ebay. Otherwise blank canvas from my craft store, but there are a number of online shops.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Strange, I've bought waste canvas at Michael's before, but it has been a while.
Since I was stiching on a shirt, I got fusable interfacing and ironed it on the back of the design to protect it during washings and such. Worked fine for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Strange, I've bought waste canvas at Michael's before, but it has been a while.
Since I was stiching on a shirt, I got fusable interfacing and ironed it on the back of the design to protect it during washings and such. Worked fine for me.
You're also in the US
My local Micheals may not be as big or have as many products as the American ones

Thanks everyone for the suggestions....found the waste canvas online now
and have some ideas for my bookmarks