TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › My kitten is strange.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My kitten is strange.

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Miku's my new best friend. She's a little over six weeks, and I've had her since Sunday. She's just.. Not cat-like. She lets anyone touch her paws, even the back ones! She purrs away when you turn her upside down. She let me put antibiotics in her eye and didn't care about having her claws trimmed. She'll walk around attached to her little leash harness without any concern.

She's so strange!
post #2 of 7
Awww, it doesn't sound like she's strange, she's just getting used to everything all at once. This is the best age to teach them things like dealing claw trims, holding them on their backs (who can resist a kitten belly!), etc. It sounds like you're doing good with Miku. At this age, they are learning what they should and should not accept and you are basically her surigate teacher and it seems like you are teaching her well. Just get ready, because it will be fun once she reaches about 16 weeks.
post #3 of 7
Strange in a sweet and good way
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
Awww, it doesn't sound like she's strange, she's just getting used to everything all at once. This is the best age to teach them things like dealing claw trims, holding them on their backs (who can resist a kitten belly!), etc. It sounds like you're doing good with Miku. At this age, they are learning what they should and should not accept and you are basically her surigate teacher and it seems like you are teaching her well. Just get ready, because it will be fun once she reaches about 16 weeks.
She sounds precious! Congratulations on your new furbaby!

She's so young though, did she lose her mama?
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
She sounds precious! Congratulations on your new furbaby!

She's so young though, did she lose her mama?
She came from a barn.. The "common knowledge" around the nearby farms is that kittens are ripe for the taking at 6 weeks. It's wrong, but it's working for Miku - She got the antibiotics she needed for her eyes, and she's learning about new technology, like sleeping on my wireless router.

She's been with us almost a full week, and she's become more catlike - I think she's learned a thing or two from her new big brother, like rubbing her face on things.
post #6 of 7
Sounds like she's settling in well! I'm glad she has a big brother to teach her how to be a cat. Cats are the original copy cats, and it's great fun to watch one learn from another!

You probably already know this, but for anyone who might not, rubbing their faces on things is how they mark their environment. They have pheromones that make their home smell like them, which gives them a feeling of security and comfort. They mark with their claws, too.

Tolly always makes sure I am well marked before I leave the house each day. I have to sit still and let him rub his face all over my shoes and legs. He wants any other cats I may encounter (and I do see some)to know that I am already taken!
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
You probably already know this, but for anyone who might not, rubbing their faces on things is how they mark their environment. They have pheromones that make their home smell like them, which gives them a feeling of security and comfort. They mark with their claws, too.

Tolly always makes sure I am well marked before I leave the house each day. I have to sit still and let him rub his face all over my shoes and legs. He wants any other cats I may encounter (and I do see some)to know that I am already taken!
I love that smell-vestigation that other cats have to do when you happen upon them. It's like the feline version of checking a stray for a collar

I was wondering if she was broken because she wasn't marking anything! I'm glad she is now. I had never met a cat who wouldn't rub your hand when you put it in her face. Meeps even needs to give you permission to love on her by smelling and rubbing your hand, first.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › My kitten is strange.