Why does he do this??

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harley just confuses me. He's one of my 3 that is allowed to go outside but he stays around the house (we live at the end of a dirt road and traffic...is, well...just us!). He only goes outside during the day when I'm home and spend most of his time being lazy in the sun. But, after a few hours he will paw at the storm door to be let in. Once in, he walks straight to his litterbox (that I just cleaned!), uses it, and wants back outside. No stopping at the food dish and he does have water outside. What I want to know is WHY???? He has the entire 5 acres to use as his litter box! And, how does he know that I just cleaned it?? It never fails.... it's like he has a sixth sense "Oh, I sense a clean litter box...must go dirty it!"

foofy cat lady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rule #1 of cats: They understand logic, and discard it completely. Anyway, how else is he gonna show appreciation for you cleaning his box?

lvh01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

...after a few hours he will paw at the storm door to be let in. Once in, he walks straight to his litterbox (that I just cleaned!), uses it, and wants back outside...
My cat does this also! It's strange because, even though we live in the suburbs and have a garden (not that I want him using the vegetable garden as a toilet...), he will only use his litter box—especially after I have just cleaned it!

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL! Yeah, Rosalie just goes outside. Oddly enough all the kittens I've had here have used the same exact corner to go, weird.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are like kids! Outside is to play in and when they have to go potty, they go inside. Do you clean the box the same time each day? He just knows your schedule.