Possible surgery

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
(hope I posted this in the right place)
I took Kiki to the on base vet today and she recommended that I have Kiki's tail removed. Kiki came to me with a broken tail. The vet said personally she would remove it because there is no way of knowing how much pain it causes her. I would have to take her to a vet out in town for this procedure as the military vet can't perform surgeries here. What do you guys think? Should I remove it and if so how much would something like that cost? She has already been spayed so there isn't a "kill two birds with one stone" opportunity here. I don't want to cause her pain either way.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Will they have to remove the whole tail or just part? Either way it's a pretty easy surgery and if your vet thinks that's best, then go for it. They'll just cut slits down the tail to remove whatever part and suture it back. Some tail injuries get to a point where all the tissue dies and it'll basically fall off, so that's definitely worth considering in your decision. Gross, I know.

Just a ballpark estimate is $300-$500. That's after all the pre-anesthetics, antibiotics, pain meds, etc.

Keep us updated and good luck!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above poster. I think your vet is giving you good advice, can she recommend a surgeon?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

Will they have to remove the whole tail or just part? Either way it's a pretty easy surgery and if your vet thinks that's best, then go for it. They'll just cut slits down the tail to remove whatever part and suture it back. Some tail injuries get to a point where all the tissue dies and it'll basically fall off, so that's definitely worth considering in your decision. Gross, I know.

Just a ballpark estimate is $300-$500. That's after all the pre-anesthetics, antibiotics, pain meds, etc.

Keep us updated and good luck!
Her tail would have to be removed right at the base of her back. After removal she would look closer to a Manx than a bobtail. This is what the vet wrote: "Tail broken twice. Cranial break not fused. Still have crepitus. Recommend removing tail"
Originally Posted by otto

I agree with the above poster. I think your vet is giving you good advice, can she recommend a surgeon?
No she can't b/c she isn't from this area. She is on loan to us from another base two days a month.