Potato mucher

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never in all my life have I saw a cat that would eat a bag of potatos raw. I hope they are not bad for cats? I fixed potato soup last night and left the bag of potatos out. My cat decided to eat one.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is soooo funny. I was cutting potatoes up to fry with supper and a piece dropped on the floor. Jack grabbed it and ran and then sat there and ATE the entire piece and came back looking for more.

He's still living

foofy cat lady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This happens! My Meepy doesn't come when you jiggle a bag of food or hit the can opener.. But the sound of a potato peeler, she's on you like white on rice. It never caused her any harm - Just be careful with cooked potatoes. I tend to cook mine with garlic/onions, and that's dreadful for kitty.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw potatoes are actually toxic to cats to some extent, and should not be given to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Raw potatoes are actually toxic to cats to some extent, and should not be given to them.
What is toxic about them?

I cannot keep him away from the bag. I locked him out of the room. My potato bin is lost somewhere in the pile of junk in my house. I suppose I'll have to dig it out. He won't stay away from the bag. Its like catnip for him. The dirt on potatos can't be good for digestion. He doesn't eat the whole thing. He just bites the skin off.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Green Tomatoes, Green (raw Potatoes)

These foods are members of the Solanaceae family of plants, which includes the Deadly Nightshade, and contain a bitter, poisonous alkaloid called Glycoalkaloid Solanine, which can cause violent lower gastrointestinal symptoms. The leaves and stems are particularly toxic. (Tomatoes in pet foods are ripe, and should cause no concern)

source

http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/humanfood.htm

this is just one source, there are several more that state similar warnings.

I, too, once had a cat who enjoyed eating potato skins from the compost bucket. I didn't know at the time that they were bad for her, but I did discourage it anyway, because I don't give my cats people food. Cats bodies are very different than ours, and you just never know what's going to be bad for them.