Heaters

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any suggestions for good, inexpensive, efficient heaters?
We have a furnace (that burns oil) and it's fine when it's going but as soon as it shuts off the house is freezing. It's 39 degrees outside today and I am SO cold! I have a few of those oil radiator heaters (that plug in) and they seem to do really well but I don't know how much they hike up the electricity bill. Any suggestions?

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a wood stove that we use for our heat and then a back up oil furnace that we try and avoid using at all cost because its so expensive to fill and Bf has oil heat in his garage and thats just too much to fill both tanks. We got a space heater for the bedroom and it works just fine. I havent noticed a major hike in our electric bill however we only use it at night. I dont think it will be horrible if your only using it in one room at a time and its at a reasonable setting.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
but we use kerosene for supplemental heating in hard to heat areas. You have to be diligent with kero. I never go outside and leave them running. I turn them off 45 minutes before we go to bed to be sure they are cool. I even made a guard out of hardware cloth to put around them in the kitties room. Yea, when you turn them off, you smell the kero, but I just am used to it and there are worse smells in the world. They throw alot of heat quickly. We also use fans to distribute it from room to room. I hate to see winter coming as it gets so crazy trying to keep the house warm without turning on the furnace. Still have not used it. It was 57 in here this am, but the kero warmed us right up. Then, we put in the wood fire and have been nice and toasty 75 degrees all the rest of the day. It is a real science!

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well if you are just trying to heat one room then it will be better on your electricity than heating the whole house with your furnace, no matter what type of heater you use.

My sugestion is a newer space heater that you can buy for between 20$ and 50$ at the store. There really isn't one that's better than the other, it all depends on your personal preference and how many gadgets buttons and gizmos you want it to have.

For me I have a simple oscelating floor heater that managed to heat up our entire studio apartment (except the bathroom) and kept us very warm through the winter. And even through the winter, by relatively only heating one room, our electricity bill only went up about 10$ a month, and we kept it running constantly when we were home.

I don't recommend kerosene heaters. They just seem really dangerous. The newer ones have an automatic shut-off if they are tipped over or get too hot. Wherease kerosene heaters are the source of many house fires. Only because people are negligent. But accidents happen and one less thing to worry about it A-Okay with me.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

Does anyone have any suggestions for good, inexpensive, efficient heaters?
We have a furnace (that burns oil) and it's fine when it's going but as soon as it shuts off the house is freezing. It's 39 degrees outside today and I am SO cold! I have a few of those oil radiator heaters (that plug in) and they seem to do really well but I don't know how much they hike up the electricity bill. Any suggestions?
I like that radiator style of heater. When I was living in a trailer, my furnace was out for an entire Winter and I used two of those for heating instead. They did a decent job and I really like the fact that they don't get hot to the touch. I think the price of heating oil is more volatile than electricity so if you're using the space heaters more and the furnace less, I wouldn't expect you to come out much worse price-wise.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got a 22 $ bathroom safe one at wal mart well it is good and covers a 20*20 room quick and easy ...

also have the comfort zones ( awesome and about 1.50$ )