Cat came in with tail broken . How?

faolteam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sister has a ginger cat and on monday it came in to the house and its tail was hanging down,

She brought it to the Blue Cross which is a charitable mobile clinic and the vet could nottouch his tail because he got very aggressive, the vet diodnt even have an painkiller injections for cats with them,

The vet said to take painkillers in tablet form and come back in a week and see how he is and that the tail may have to come off,

I have been reading in your forums about cats dislocating there tails

can anyone tell me how this may have happened at first i thought a car may have driven over it also should i go to a different vet any any help appreciated my sister is devistaed over the cat

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definately take the cat to a different vet for a second opinion.... It sounds like this vet didn't even examine the cats tail (which even if the cat is angry, they can be restrained to examine) which needs to be done in order to decide a course of treatment.

http://pethealth.petwellbeing.com/wiki/Cat_Broken_Tails

As to how it could have happened, if the cat is indoor/outdoor then someone could have hurt him, or he could have caught his tail in something and injured himself trying to get away, lots of different "maybes" as to how it happened.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would want to see a differnt vet as I would think that x-rays to determine the extend of damage would be necessary.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also think another vet might help. A bite wound can damage the nerves at the tail base. He may have an injury from some other source. There is no way to tell what happens when they are not in our care.

The most important thing would be to find a vet with the means to treat whatever is wrong.

Hoping he feels better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faolteam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

I also think another vet might help. A bite wound can damage the nerves at the tail base. He may have an injury from some other source. There is no way to tell what happens when they are not in our care.

The most important thing would be to find a vet with the means to treat whatever is wrong.

Hoping he feels better soon.
just to let you know im just back from a different vet and he said that he has a very bad abscess, he gave him injections he said that the other vet only gave him antibiotics tablets and not painkillers like he said they were,

he needs to see if it spreads up the tail ,he will decide on friday what he will do he said it is likely that the tail will have to come off ,he did ask whether we wanted half his tail off or the whole lot,

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that used to live outside.He got clipped by a car,which broke his tail,and split his hide from belly to spine.Many stitches later,and most of his tail removed and he has been fine ever since.His tail is about 3 inches long now,and he never went back outside.Glad you chose another vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faolteam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
which would be better to get the whole tail taken off or just a third

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by faolteam

which would be better to get the whole tail taken off or just a third
Generally, just to the break, or where the vet is confident he has a good blood supply.

Get too close the the back and you can have incontinence problems.