First time cat owner -- new kitten!

beans_etc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been lurking around these forums for the last couple weeks doing some pre-cat adoption research and the big day finally came! I just adopted a 2+ month old male kitten from my local humane society this weekend! I named him Iroh. I'm so in love with him~

Iroh settled in to our house really quick -- he wasn't timid at all when I brought him home and wanted to play and eat, and right away he was using his litterbox which was a huge relief. We started off with him in a kitty "safe area" penned off in our basement -- but after the first night found out he could easily climb out of it so we ended up just letting him wander freely around the basement. ^^; Every day or so we're going to let him explore a new part of the house.

He's so sweet -- both very playful and other times extremely cuddly. Even my boyfriend likes to cuddle with him, and he's not a huge cat person. Iroh's not especially talkative except I found when he wants to complain about something (the kitty WAS NOT impressed with the car ride home, his poor pathetic little mews from his box in the backseat were like "LET ME OOOOOOUT~") He'll play with practically anything (including your hands if you're not careful, tsk) and then once he wears himself out is content to snuggle up on your chest and fall asleep. The biggest issue we're having so far is trying to keep him off things like the table; we tried laying tin foil out across the surface but he's apparently not a cat that cares about foil at all. We've resorted to the spray bottle for the time being and it's working a bit -- he definitely seems more hesitant to wander on the table top because each time he does his backside mysteriously gets wet. Hee hee hee.

I love this kitten!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my gosh.....
Iroh is adorable.
No wonder he won your heart.

Congratulations.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! He is a cutie!

Your boyfriend not a cat person?
.....no, just not "another persons cat person"!
It is somehow different when they are your kitty and they look to you for companionship and snuggles.
Those photos of him snuggling is adorable.

His markings are awesome! What made you name him Iroh? I've never heard of that name before?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beans_etc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

His markings are awesome! What made you name him Iroh? I've never heard of that name before?
Iroh is a name of a character on a show, Avatar, we watch. I think it's Japanese or Korean or something, though I don't know what it means. I just thought it fit him~ My boyfriend likes to just call him Super Puss though. ^^;

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beans_etc

The kitty is gorgeous! Though I must admit, I'm more than a bit concerned about the presence of a headless human.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beans_etc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keycube

The kitty is gorgeous! Though I must admit, I'm more than a bit concerned about the presence of a headless human.
Hahaha, I know, one of my friends pointed that out when they saw the picture. Not sure what happened there.

Iroh: "I like to feast on them starting with their heads." *Evil kitty laughter*

I feel a LOLcat coming on.

lvh01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a little cutie! Congratulations on the addition to your family. <3

A suggestion for keeping him off of the counter/table/etc:
If water isn't working, try a can of air (the kind that you can buy for cleaning out keyboards, etc.). This worked well when Tetley and Pekoe were little.

allfurlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beans_etc

Hahaha, I know, one of my friends pointed that out when they saw the picture. Not sure what happened there.

Iroh: "I like to feast on them starting with their heads." *Evil kitty laughter*

I feel a LOLcat coming on.
thats perfect! congrats on your new little man, and welcome