Help! Im clueless!

crazypoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank god Ive found this site! I have a kitten..I dont know how old so if anyone could tell me how old he looks I would appreciate it!

He was found in my cousins woodpile- his litter mates were crushed by a log and mom was found dead not too far from there. He came out of it without a scratch but very cold and hungry. Her husband was going to "take care" of him and I couldnt bear the thought of that after all he had went thru already so I took him home.

I got him 5 days ago and Ive been feeding him Just Born Kitten Formula with a tiny bottle. He is able to eat canned food-I tried giving him a little and he was messy but he ate it ok. He eats about 3-4 full bottles of milk a day and Ive been giving him 1 tsp of canned food every other day. Am I feeding him enough??

Also he has been having issues with pooping. He didnt poop for the first 24 hours I had him but he pooped for my cousin. I read online to rub his butt so I did while giving him a bath in the sink. He went a little. And since then hes only gone 2x. Is that normal??? It seems like he is eating way more than he poops out! He is peeing just fine.

The last problem Ive been having is-he was very docile and sweet the first 3 days I had him-very cuddly ect..but for the past 2 days he has been hissing-biting-clawing-and not wanting to be held as much. I would say 90% of this behavior is playful-like it seems like he wants to play? But at times he seems really upset..could he be sick??

Thank you all in advance for your responses!!! Im already in love with the little guy and Im anxious to provide the best home possible!! By the way his name is Houdini because he is an escape artist! These are not good pics-I took them with my camera phone and my little cousin could barely hold onto him! LOL Hence the name Houdini.

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a cutie! I'd say, maybe, around 6 weeks old? As far as pooping, sometimes it takes an adjustment period and 24-48 hours, I'd say, is fine (took Rosalie about 2 days before she went after I brought her home). He's probably wanting to play. A lot of what you're saying is probably behavior he'd show with his siblings/mom (playing) so he's looking to you for that type of activity. I'd take him in to the vet for a check up and shots, just to make sure everything's on the up and up. Good luck and congrats on the new kitty. And welcome to the site!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a cutie!! Sounds like he's already responding to your care. I would mix in some of the formula with the wet (canned) food to make it a thick soupy consistency and see if he can eat that better than just plain wet food. I'd probably try to increase the canned food to a couple of times a day. At his age, I'd feed him as much as he wants as many times a day as he's hungry. He's going to need all that nutrition to get healthy and grow.

Have you taken him to the vet? If not, he needs to be seen by a vet for an initial check out to make sure everything's fine with him. He's likely more energetic because he's getting good nutrition and is in a safe environment. As for the pottying issue, you might need to continue stimulating him.

Bless you for rescuing this little ball of fur!

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congratulations, thats a good thing you did.

Originally Posted by P&R

He's probably wanting to play. A lot of what you're saying is probably behavior he'd show with his siblings/mom (playing) so he's looking to you for that type of activity.
I was thinking the same thing. Our Taz did the same thing when he was small.

One thing I did with Taz when he was little was to supress the thought of wrestling with him with my hands (a "guy thing", I think). It may be cute as a small kitten but Taz is now a big, 19 pound cat and it wouldn't be cute, now

He used to hiss at me and want to fight, he is now a very affectionate and social cat so I think this kitten behaviour you describe will likely pass as he grows.

Originally Posted by P&R

I'd take him in to the vet for a check up and shots, just to make sure everything's on the up and up.
I would second that trip to the vet, I would be doing that ASAP if I had him.

I wish you well and hope he will be a good companion for a very long time.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a cutie!! You are doing a great job.

The vet check up is a great start. The vet will give a good estimate of age when he is weighed. He will be checked for fleas and probably given a worm medicine.

This might be helpful.... www.kitten-rescue.com

Keep posting his progress. There are many helpful and experienced people here. Wishing you and Houdini the best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazypoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your advice and well wishes! This is such a wonderful site!

I have a trip to the vet scheduled for next week. I live in a rural area and the closest vet is always very busy! (I have 2 dogs as well). I did give him some de-wormer from Walmart-a woman at the Humane Society told me to do that but then when I called the vet he said to throw it out and never use it again because its not safe. I felt awful! My poor little guy! And now that I think about it-thats when he started having problems pooping. I am anxiously awaiting the trip to the vet.

I wake up 3x a night to feed him and hold him. He loves to cuddle under my chin and LOVES to lay on his back in my arms and have his belly rubbed-puts him right to sleep! Hes just absolutley adorable and I feel weird saying this about a cat- but I never thought I could love an animal this much!! I think about him all day when Im at work and school (im a nursing student with a very hectic schedule) and while Im gone my aunt "babysits" him but I call home 4-5x a day to check on him. I feel so silly!

Thanks again for all of your feedback!!! I look forward to many more conversations!!!

crazypoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and thank you Skimble for that link! That was actually the first website I looked at when I got him-it has alot of great information!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's old enough that you really don't need to be getting up to feed him; he can eat dry cat food on his own. I'd guess he's about six weeks.

If he's never been around humans, he will have a little trouble getting used to it. The hissing, etc., may actually come from him feeling better.

To be sure he's litter trained, keep him and his food and his low-sided litter box in a small area, such as a small bathroom. It usually only takes a day or so for them to catch on. After that, you may want to put him in there after he eats. Do NOT let him get in the habit of using any corner as his bathroom!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to you both on TCS! I would say he is not quite 6 weeks, but kittens can grow at slightly different rates. It is good he has a vet check coming up - and you now know what many of us learned the hard way - never use any OTC products like dewormers and flea treatments but get them from a vet, or at least a qualified pharmacist. They can be really dangerous, especially for young kittens. Good luck with him and we will see you around the site, I hope.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the litterbox, use regular clay litter, nothing clumping, and consider using aluminum pie plates or a cake pan with a low side for his litter box so he can get his short little legs over the sides. Nothing like trying to climb the side of a litter box to go potty for a little guy!

crazypoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good Morning!

Ive been putting him in a litter box since the day I got him and Im using unscented clay litter. The box is about standard size-the sides are about 3 inches high? The first 2 days I had to pick him up and take him out but now he climbs in and out like a champ. He is also climbing the screens, curtains and anything else he can get his little claws into. Grr!
I bought him a scratching post and he loves that too. It may be time to invest in a cat tree??? Problem is he tends to fall alot-off the couch-bed-tables and I dont want him to get to high and fall and get hurt...I know cats are supposed to land on there feet but I think he missed that memo. :p

When I called the vet he mentioned getting him fixed and declawed. Now the 2 cats I had before were declawed in the front but I remember how miserable they were after the surgery and I hate the thought of him being in pain. Is declawing nessecesary?? I really hate the thought of him having surgery for something thats not life or death? Now getting him fixed is something different- I think its the responsible thing to do because if he ever gets out I dont want him impregnating a bunch of other cats. Im feeding 7 ferals on my deck as it is! Anyway-any opinions on declawing would be appreciated!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The official stance of this site is to discourage declawing. Would you cut your children's fingers off at the first knuckle joint to keep them from picking their nose?

It's possible to trim the claws and avoid a lot of the damage that those little needs can do.

crazypoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
MrBlance-I never thought about it quite that way before and am now firm in my decsion not to declaw him. How horrid! Thank you for your input!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would hold off on the cat tree until he's a bit more coordinated. Kitties are like small children who are learning to walk...very uncoordinated at times.

Yes to the fixing. NO, NO, NO!!! to the declawing.

crazypoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Houdini or "dini" as Ive started calling him is doing great! I think. LOL He seems to have blossomed overnight....is much much more alert, playful and alot let wobbly while walking. He pounced for the first time today! He isnt eating as much as he did the first few days I had him..dont know if he was just catching up for lost calories then and this is just how much he would normally eat or what...its a guessing game but on average he was going thru 8oz of KMR a day. Today and yesterday he only ate about 5-6oz a day so Im a little concerned but will keep a close eye on him.

Thanks for the advice on the cat tree! I was going to run out and buy one tommorow but I think I will wait a bit like you suggested. He isnt very coordinated yet...he leans over to lick himself and falls over. Its so cute!

Another question (thank you for being so patient with me!
) He has been very clingy today- follows me everywhere and if I leave the room he meows like crazy. When I let him run around my room he plays for a minute and then climbs up my leg to sit in my lap or curls up next to or lays on my foot and meows if I try to move him. Is this normal? Could he be sick?? He was always very cuddly but this is new behavior for him.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazypoh

Houdini or "dini" as Ive started calling him is doing great! I think. LOL He seems to have blossomed overnight....is much much more alert, playful and alot let wobbly while walking. He pounced for the first time today! He isnt eating as much as he did the first few days I had him..dont know if he was just catching up for lost calories then and this is just how much he would normally eat or what...its a guessing game but on average he was going thru 8oz of KMR a day. Today and yesterday he only ate about 5-6oz a day so Im a little concerned but will keep a close eye on him.

Thanks for the advice on the cat tree! I was going to run out and buy one tommorow but I think I will wait a bit like you suggested. He isnt very coordinated yet...he leans over to lick himself and falls over. Its so cute!

Another question (thank you for being so patient with me!
) He has been very clingy today- follows me everywhere and if I leave the room he meows like crazy. When I let him run around my room he plays for a minute and then climbs up my leg to sit in my lap or curls up next to or lays on my foot and meows if I try to move him. Is this normal? Could he be sick?? He was always very cuddly but this is new behavior for him.
He is absolutely adorable
! What a tragic death of his siblings and mother, but he couldn't have a better foster mom, and you have a best fuzzy friend for life!
He is going to test your limits, just like he would with his siblings and kitty mom. It is sooo important to understand this and how you respond to his antics makes all the difference. Example, climbing up your leg, very disrespectful. As much as it seems cute and they are desperate for attention, this would never be tolerated in the pride or from kitty mom. It is ok for them to be clingy, desperate for attention and comfort, but not ok for them to disrespect and inflict pain in the process. When he starts crying for attention, running around, stop him from climbing up your leg, you can try vocal assertion, hissing or shush, hand gesture blocking him. If he is curled up on your foot but seeking attention, but cries if you attempt to pick him up, try scruffing him. They often instinctively look for this as comfort and reassurance.
I hope any of this helps

crazypoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Cheylink! I will admit its hard for me to discipline him, hes just so tiny and I feel bad when I tell him no. God help me if I ever have human children! LOL! I will try your suggestions and hopefully keep him from turning into a monster when he gets older. Thanks for your help!

crazypoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LMAO!!! Yes...I will say this is wonderful birth control! Those first few nights where I had to get up with him 3x a night were TORTURE! I do love my sleep and am defintley rethinking having babies of my own after this experience! So much work!

Dini's worth it though- one look into his little face and my heart just melts. He started doing this little kissy thing with his mouth where he will nuzzle my lips with his mouth and nose like he is giving kisses- and I got so Awwww about it I decided I just HAD to Twitter about it! LOL