A Mass Escape!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i do not want to live through today again. I was sweeping the kitchen floor this morning when my hedge cutter Chris burst through the door shouting that the cats were out! He and I had been going in and out for tools and cups of tea etc, the front door is a bit sticky, and the cats had taken advantage of a moment of carelessness by one of us, probably me. There are three doors between them and the outside, but unless they are locked, Wellington can open them.

So out I rushed, to chaos in the yard. Fortunately Biscotte was scared enough to run right back in, but the others were having a whale of a time. And it was made worse by the three who are allowed out - Wellington, Ellie and Bonaparte, who thought it wonderful that their friends were joining them and decided to have a big game of chase. So I decided that the first thing to do was get those three back in, which was relatively easy. It got a bit calmer then, and ten minutes or so later I was able to get Dushka and Persil. But where was Milo?

Chris could not remember seeing him, but that was not surprising. I checked inside thoroughly, just in case he had slept through it all, but no, I was sure he was out. We called and called, searched the garden and walked round the fields. Then Chris had to go and I was left to ponder.

Two hours later and there was still no sign or sound. I got a cage and put Ellie in it in front of the house, hoping that might attract Milo. An hour later I switched her for Wellington. A bowl of food had no effect. Then I suddenly saw him emerge from under some very heavy bushes to the side. He ran for the front door, but stupidly I had closed it and he ran round the other side of the house. At least I then knew he was still on my land and wanted to get home, so I felt a lot better. I went and locked all the cats in my bedroom, came out and opened the front and kitchen doors, and sat and waited where I could see both doors. Another hour went by, and then there he was, standing by the front door. I went and closed the kitchen door in case he just went through the house and out again, and followed him inside. He was shaking, so glad to be home, and after a feed and using the box (the first thing he did!) he had a long purring cuddle and went to sleep. Tonight he is back to fighting as normal with the others. I am a nervous wreck.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh gosh, Jenny - your post had the fevered pitch that I'm sure you felt when it was happening. I'm sure glad all of your little Houdinis are back inside and safe after their adventure.
to all of them!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sure got my heart thundering. What a sigh of relief - especially for poor Milo, who apparently couldn't conceive of using dirt as a litter box!

Well - ESPECIALLY for Jenny!
Has your heart stopped racing yet?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Sure got my heart thundering. What a sigh of relief - especially for poor Milo, who apparently couldn't conceive of using dirt as a litter box!

Well - ESPECIALLY for Jenny!
Has your heart stopped racing yet?
OMG, Jenny, what a day!! Hope things -- especially heart rates! -- are returning to normal.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a couple of them were afraid, but that several others were probably saying "What's wrong with you mom? We are just having fun!"

Naughty kitties. You scared your poor meowmy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today has been really boring compared to yesterday, all cats behaving well, weather good so no excuse for not working in the garden, but I am feeling a lot better, thank you.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
been there, done that!! Poseidon used to take a lot of pleasure in tearing out my screens and one time I came home to a bunch of kitties waiting for me in my driveway
I quickly herded them up, did a quick head count and realized Hades was missing- he didn't come for a week
I was frantic, so I know exactly how you felt when you couldn't Milo- at least he didn't stay out long