Pert Plus shampoo for fleas?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have any of you ever heard of this as a way to wash/ kill fleas especially on tiny kittens? News to me.

I still have two foster cats that belong to the rescue I used to volunteer for. I was asked to bring them to their weekly adoption showing b/c a family was interested in adopting the pair. (It didn't happen.)

Anyway - a couple of the volunteers were looking after a tiny, 3- week old kitten... found at about 10 weeks of age. The subject of fleas and getting them off a small baby like this SAFELY came up. They talked about Pert Plus shampoo and how effective it is.

I don't know.

I also noticed the kitten was wobbling and shaking and no one seemed concerned. (Oh he does that all the time, I was told.
) My first thought is it may have cerebellar hypoplasia and that's why it was an orphan foundling. Mom left it behind.

But I kept my opinions to myself. I know how I was treated when I would speak up. And I remembered one of these women as being witchy beyond all belief and opening a nasty mouth to me the last time we crossed paths.

Sigh.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
a quick google says it has permethins ( ie the active ingrediants in OTC flea stuff like hartz)

IMHO I would NOT use this on a kitten

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

a quick google says it has permethins ( ie the active ingrediants in OTC flea stuff like hartz)
WHY would a human shampoo have permethrins?!?!? Freaky.

The only safe "non-pet" flea killing soap I've heard of is blue Dawn. Even then you have to be careful to rinse it completely. I wouldn't use Pert on kittens.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

WHY would a human shampoo have permethrins?!?!? Freaky.

The only safe "non-pet" flea killing soap I've heard of is blue Dawn. Even then you have to be careful to rinse it completely. I wouldn't use Pert on kittens.
it aids in the "tingley " feeling

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geez! And these women said they "specialize" in bottle babies.

Do you think using that shampoo could have caused problems with this little guy? Like I said - the kitten was SHAKING.

I can say something, but Marian - who runs the rescue- is mad at me AND she doesn't think I know anything.

She was very dismissive of some of the stuff I told her about wet v. dry and panacur for cats, etc, because it came from the internet.

ETA: Sharky - which of the listed ingredients is the same as the OTC flea killers?

OK -I found this on the ASPCA Poison Control Web site:
"The most common clinical signs of permethrin toxicity in cats are muscle tremors and seizures."

Now I have to wonder if those witchy ladies who know everything unintentially poisoned this kitten!!!!
(They washed him with a neurotoxin!!!)

I was brave and sent this information to the rescue director ... who will likely dismiss this b/c I am not a "good volunteer" anymore and they are. That's all I can do.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's terrible. Why would anyone honestly let their ego and pride get in the way of learning, especially when it's information that can prevent harm to little kittens? Using pert plus sounds like a stupid idea, anyways. Human shampoos have all sorts of things added to them that is not good for animals, or even that good for humans.

The kitten needs a vet.

In the future, ask a vet about fleas. Mine likes Revolution for kittens, claiming that it's easier on them then the other two are (
). He used two drops, per kitten, from tubes of the kitten Revolution the other day on my 7wk-ish olds and they're perfectly fine.
For really young ones I've always combed them repeatedly and used dawn if absolutely necessary.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That's terrible. Why would anyone honestly let their ego and pride get in the way of learning, especially when it's information that can prevent harm to little kittens? Using pert plus sounds like a stupid idea, anyways. Human shampoos have all sorts of things added to them that is not good for animals, or even that good for humans.

The kitten needs a vet.

In the future, ask a vet about fleas. Mine likes Revolution for kittens, claiming that it's easier on them then the other two are (
). He used two drops, per kitten, from tubes of the kitten Revolution the other day on my 7wk-ish olds and they're perfectly fine.
For really young ones I've always combed them repeatedly and used dawn if absolutely necessary.
Re: ego and pride - already experienced it with her. Question her on anything and you get a faceful of defensiveness. It's one of the reasons I left the rescue. But I am finding the director of the rescue I joined up recently isn't much different. You cannot argue with her or challenge her in any way. She's right and you're wrong. Sigh.... I just want to find homes for my foster boys.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only thing I've heard (and the only thing I'd feel comfortable using) is Dawn's original formula. *shrugs*

aquastone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two of the vets that my rescue group use said Pert Plus was SAFE for kittens under six weeks of age (obviously it should be thourghly rinsed off) since even Revolution cannot be used until the kitten is 6 weeks old. I have fostred MANY kittens under 6weeks of age that came to me flea infested and have used Pert Plus each and every time and NONE of them ever had any bad reactions. As a matter of fact I have been fortunate enough to be able to keep in touch with several of their new forever families and not once has any of them said that their now adult cats have had any problems. It sounds to me that just maybe the original poster may be looking for bad with the group that he/she left on bad terms with.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regular Dawn dish detergent, they even advertise as supporting wildlife rescue, bathing in disasters such as oil spills. Original Dawn dish detergent is definitely safe for kittens and extremely effective for killing fleas.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AquaStone

It sounds to me that just maybe the original poster may be looking for bad with the group that he/she left on bad terms with.
In various interactions I've had with the OP, she has never spoken against any of the groups she's volunteered with. Her primary concern has always been the well-being of the cats in her care.

These boards are meant to inform. If something the OP has stated is incorrect, it would be best to make an educational post yourself (perhaps with a reference) rather than include personal remarks such as the one you posted above.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously no one, or maybe very few on here, know AddieBee in person. But on here she has proven to be a very nice considerate person who cares a lot about cats.

RE: the Pert. We get lots of people popping up on here that said they've used OTC flea treatments, sprays, and things containing tea tree oil without problems so far. But it's always a gamble against odds, and some just do not like gambling with a life..

Originally Posted by AddieBee

Re: ego and pride - already experienced it with her. Question her on anything and you get a faceful of defensiveness. It's one of the reasons I left the rescue. But I am finding the director of the rescue I joined up recently isn't much different. You cannot argue with her or challenge her in any way. She's right and you're wrong. Sigh.... I just want to find homes for my foster boys.
Certain people get drawn to or end up in certain positions for the very reason that they like telling others what to do or because they're enough of a hard-a** to carry through and organize things. No doubt running a rescue is a lot of work, but I never could understand being mean to others for the sake of it - or because the person has had a bad day.
Then again something about me always seems to put me on the end of being bullied, knowing how it feels I'll never take part of that in anyway towards another person.

I'm sorry you keep running into such willfully stubborn people.
Just know that if anyone ever crosses the line with you, and you get proof of it, you can get them in trouble...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you to strange_wings and Going Nova for sticking up for me. I PM'd this new member already.

Any issues I may have had with this rescue are far and away separate from my concern about this tiny baby.

How can I be giving bad PR for this rescue when I didn't use the name? That makes no sense to me. And the name wouldn't mean beans to anyone on here - very likely.

It makes me wonder if this is someone FROM the rescue who put two and two together and is taking potshots at me. Don't know and don't care.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

It makes me wonder if this is someone FROM the rescue who put two and two together and is taking potshots at me. Don't know and don't care.
Who knows? I've randomly come across people from here on other forums - the internet (and world in general) isn't as large as it seems sometimes.
I wouldn't want to see you, or anyone, attacked on here.

If you get any information on how the baby kitten is doing, feel free to share. I'd be interested in knowing if it really was a problem caused by shampoo, an underlying health issues, or a combination of both.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Who knows? I've randomly come across people from here on other forums - the internet (and world in general) isn't as large as it seems sometimes.
I wouldn't want to see you, or anyone, attacked on here.

If you get any information on how the baby kitten is doing, feel free to share. I'd be interested in knowing if it really was a problem caused by shampoo, an underlying health issues, or a combination of both.
Thanks. Doubt I will hear anything. The rescue director never bothered to answer my email.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is the DANDRUFF version with the permethins ... If you want a play by play of the ingrediants I will pm you..lol... the pm sent me further researching( shocking
)

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a correction- DAWN does not kill fleas- it stuns them. You have to then comb the kitten with a flea comb and kill the fleas in hot hot water. Having lost a cat to a professional groomer who used tea tree shampoo on my cat- I will never even use this product on me. I have to many cats who play in my shower stalls. The poisoning of Bartee was slow and heartbreaking to watch. He was dead 4 days after being "groomed."

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Just a correction- DAWN does not kill fleas- it stuns them. You have to then comb the kitten with a flea comb and kill the fleas in hot hot water. Having lost a cat to a professional groomer who used tea tree shampoo on my cat- I will never even use this product on me. I have to many cats who play in my shower stalls. The poisoning of Bartee was slow and heartbreaking to watch. He was dead 4 days after being "groomed."
I don't use hot hot water to put the fleas in - just a bowl of soapy water to make them sink then they get flushed down the toilet. I'd rather not risk burning my fingers or having a bowl of really hot water overturned on me from a struggling cat + my clumsy self (lukewarm is gross enough).

I'm sorry you lost a kitty that way.
I hope you speak up often on here about tea tree oil - I know I always try to point it out to people that it's not safe. I don't like dubious products in the house, either. What cleaners I have are kept in the utility room which is a no-cat zone.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

It is the DANDRUFF version with the permethins ... If you want a play by play of the ingrediants I will pm you..lol... the pm sent me further researching( shocking
)
You? Researching something? NONSENSE!!!

That's ok. I don't think they used the dandruff version on the kitten. I don't think it has tea tree oil in it either, does it?

I was using that to treat a skin problem I had and a dermotologist friend told me to stop because it can cause contact dermatitis.

ETA: You guys are the BEST