Is this progress?

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I wrote a few new posts to my last thread but maybe the length scared everyone away
I'll try to be more concise in a new thread

Patches was hanging outside in the landscape yesterday in the afternoon sun, so I used the opportunity to spend some time with her. We played the food trail game. She totally understands door open/closing means I'm out with food so I went out with a handful of food and sat by the front door. She made her way on the path, saw me, sat down. Then I threw some kibble, she ate it, and basically threw them closer to me each time. She happily gobbled them up and got to be about 2-3 feet from me!!! I did this in the afternoon and then again in the evening when she was just sitting on the welcome mat waiting for more food. It made me really happy...

She would get about 2 feet away, then go trot a bit farther away to keep her distance, but she'd always follow the path of food to come back to me and didn't really seem scared. Is that a sign that she may socialize well???

If we trap her again with a Havahart trap, will that destroy this growing bond..? Is it better to try getting her to go in a cat carrier on her own? I am not sure if that would happen...

Also, would it be better to socialize her in a spare bedroom or in a finished basement (that has a bathroom where we could isolate her first?) Our finished basement has a stinky stink problem right now - you can read more about that in my other thread, but I worry the smell might encourage potty using in the wrong place. There's more background in the other thread as well.

Thanks anyone with any feedback!!!

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, I will go back and read your other posts. Just in my few years experience I think that is a wonderful sign. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Trapping is something that is a necessity to get her inside. She will more likely be afraid to begin with until she becomes familiar with the smells and sounds of inside. Give her time to adjust to the change.

Keep a routine to take care of her needs at the same time each day.

I suggest the bedroom. She can smell and hear better from the bedroom than being isolated in a basement away from the routine house activity.

You are giving her a wonderful gift. Much luck.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

Hi, I will go back and read your other posts. Just in my few years experience I think that is a wonderful sign. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Trapping is something that is a necessity to get her inside. She will more likely be afraid to begin with until she becomes familiar with the smells and sounds of inside. Give her time to adjust to the change.

Keep a routine to take care of her needs at the same time each day.

I suggest the bedroom. She can smell and hear better from the bedroom than being isolated in a basement away from the routine house activity.

You are giving her a wonderful gift. Much luck.
Absolutely - trapping is the way to go. She'll be scared - but she'd be just as scared being moved into a new territory no matter the method.

I also agree with the bedroom. Being able to hear and smell all the new things going on is important.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!!!! We borrowed a Havahart trap - it's sitting in the corner of the porch now. She came for dinner but no food-trail game tonight - she just sat in the landscape and didn't budge until I left. I think she remembers what that trap means... But hopefully tuna will do the trick again.

We're not going to set the trap until I have things squared away for emergency vaca time at work etc, but we are getting ready.
I think it feels right now - I wasn't quite sure a couple months ago.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leave the trap outside for a while and just ignore it. Feed her closer and closer to the trap, and when you are getting ready to trap her, strap the opening of the trap open with a twist tie and feed her inside of the trap for a few days without causing it to trip. Once she is settled into that routine, remove the twist tie and trap her. If she won't go for the food you set out, you might try some Kentucky Fried Chicken - original formula with the skin and bones removed. Cats go wild over it for some reason.

I agree with others - having her in a bedroom where she can hear and smell things in the house will benefit her more than being far away in a basement.

As far as losing trust after you trap her: I find that they fear the trap and not the person who set the trap. She'll be happy when she is freed from it and won't associate it with you.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!!!

Question - we usually feed her around 7:30/8pm. She has been outside in the mornings though but not as consistent. If we trap her at night, she'll be in the cage 12+ hours before she gets to the vet. Is that ok? Or the other option (which may not be as successful) is trying to get her to a strict morning schedule but that might be confusing for her.

Is night trapping with the long wait in her cage ok (would put her in the spare room with a towel over the cage until the vet appointment), or should we try to do a morning trap so she gets to the vet/released from cage sooner?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by killerapple

Is night trapping with the long wait in her cage ok (would put her in the spare room with a towel over the cage until the vet appointment), or should we try to do a morning trap so she gets to the vet/released from cage sooner?
Homeless cats are used to hide even a long period if need be. Outside in a trap in the beginning cold is not nice, but indoors with a nice towel over - quite OK. It isnt at all so bad as it sounds.

Better this than stressing trying to catch her immediately before the vet visit.

Go for it, go!

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great, thanks!

One more question..

The bedroom would be up a flight of stairs and around a corner. During that carrying of kitty in cage, would fleas/ticks/etc be able to hop off and get in other parts of the house or is that a ridiculous thought? I was going to get a towel and kinda stick it under the door of the quarantine room until I know she is de-flead for good so they don't go jumping under the door and getting on our cat.

We've had a flea issue with our kitten that is finally almost resolved and I wouldn't want that pain in the butt work to get over-written. I was thinking maybe I could have her in part of the basement before she gets to the vet and gets Frontlined etc. Flea issus or what not isn't going to make me not want to take her, but just trying to make sure I don't create more issues for the other cat (and me/husband) in the transition. Hmmm...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some time in the basement wont hurt her. Especielly not the first night. It may even be better to have her somewhere where she is undisturbed.

Later on during the continued quarantene it is a good idea to have her in the bedroom, as we all already said...

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Some time in the basement wont hurt her. Especielly not the first night. It may even be better to have her somewhere where she is undisturbed.

Later on during the continued quarantene it is a good idea to have her in the bedroom, as we all already said...
thank you
I tend to over-think and over-analyze before I rush into things
thanks for your patience.

I'll keep everyone posted!

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just an update -

She is definitely getting more used to me. I can make eye contact with her through the glass in the front door and she won't run away. She ran away when my husband looked at her alone though!!

I've been going outside when I feed her when I have time and do the throw-the-food-and-make-a-path-to-me thing. Last night when I did this, I put a very large pile about a foot from me. So she gobbled her way up that close to me!!!!! I sat frozen like a statue. I did speak slowly - the first time I did that, she looked at me and walked a few steps away, but came back to the food trail. Next time I spoke softly she basically ignored me! So she got about a foot away from me. This is big progress from a couple months ago.

We're going to try to trap starting on Sunday night. Cross your fingers. She's been trapped before, so I don't know how easy it will be. (I could ramble why we didn't keep her then - it just wasn't right and it actually worked out for the best because there was another kitten outside she was taking care of anyways, which has since been trapped and rehomed.)

I'll keep everyone posted! I'm excited.
Nervous about the first 36 hours with her (the vet, etc.) but excited. It feels right now.