Question of the day Oct 11th.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Morning all a little late getting here this morning. We in the middle of a horrible wind, rain and dare I say it snow storm. The power has been flipping off all morning.

My question for today is the:

How do you react to the first storm of the winter season.

My reaction this morning was to roll over cover my head up and go back to sleep for a awhile. Now I am just grumbling because there is no way I going outside today it's way to nasty. I guess I would have to say it takes a few weeks to get use to it.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate cold weather. I've been in mourning for the summer for the last month.

We were supposed to have flurries last night. Of course I slept thru it, but I did keep the covers pulled over my head extra late this morning.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we rarely get snow of any significance here, I have learned to react the way the natives do - stay home until it goes away! Seriously, an inch of snow can shut down the entire city.

Back on January 19, 2005, Raleigh received an unexpected snowfall of less than one inch a few hours before the 5 oâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]clock rush hour. The temperatures leading up to this day were persistently cold, creating ground temperatures at and near freezing and allowing the melting snowfall below motoristâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s tires to freeze into an icy sheet on the roadway. Just about everyone out and about that afternoon immediately had to drive with extreme caution as traffic jams and gridlock befell the entire city and surrounding area. As darkness arrived the air temperatures dropped and further solidified the scenario that many Raleigh residents wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t forget. Many people became captives of the slick streets and roads for hours.
http://raleighskyline.com/content/20...lyzed-raleigh/

I grew up in the snow belt, so it's pretty funny, but it's serious too when the other people out there don't know how to drive in snow, and when 1/2 inch of snow can cause people to have to spend the night in their cars trying to get home (it took me an hour and a half to drive 5 miles that day), I have definitely learned to stay home!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love to see the cats reaction with it, so the first thing i do is open the curtains and the blinds so they can see it and they go crackers on the windowsill trying to catch it

I hate having to go out in it though
but that's the beauty of my office only being 3 minutes from home now instead of having to travel into town

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First
then
then I move on to
and more

Yep, it's definitely on its way.

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh...I love, love the winter! I just wish we would get some good snow storms, but I don't think it happens anymore around here.
We might get a dusting (a teasing), but that's about it.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was just having this conversation with my Mother.

It seems like people who live in warm places like snow. People who live in cold places don't like it so much.

Probably because in the warm places it's a treat that doesn't last more than a day. Up here it goes on for months.

When it snows I stay home. If I wake up and see it snowing I call the boss and then go back to sleep.

It's pretty to look at it you don't have to go out in it.

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

i wished a snow storm around here....
check my forecast...

http://weatherbug.myway.com/World/My...&city_id=70243
I do love the snow, but I have no sympathy for you!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mexico! No matter where I go in Mexico (yes, I've been in some rough parts too) I just can't stop grinning! Love the culture, love the people, love everything about it!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish it would snow here sometimes. It is extremely rare to have snow fall here that actually sticks. But on Jan 25, 1999, we had 3 inches of snow. The city about shut down! My boss at the time called and told me not to attempt to come in. DH called his work since we couldn't get the garage door open because snow had drifted against it.

I love a good rain storm as long as I am not out driving in it. I love to watch lightning too. We really need rain right now, it is so dry!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I love the first snow fall . Then it can go away.

I have to admit that since moving from Wisconsin to Texas, I kinda do miss the very first snowfall: I've only seen snow once since moving here.

But after that, I can do without!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just hope it was light enough we don't have to go shovel.

We're going to go get snow tires this year - not all weather tires. We're hoping that if we do that it'll be a mild winter. You can BET if we don't, it'll be the winter from the coldest, snowiest hell there is.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well,
about covers what I have been saying every time i step out the door and the white
is still falling........and it's not even the end of October, AND we had no summer, just winter, some kinda warmish season starting mid-May and now back to winter.........

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems like the local news here makes a bigger deal out of the first storm than what it really is. When the first rain falls, I make sure I slow down sooner at red lights (to avoid surprise oil slicks on the road) and make sure my wipers need or not need to be replaced.

I
the snow too! I've been snowshoeing in -15F (yes that is negative 15 degrees!) in Wisconsin, snowboarding in slight winds in the Sierras and Canadian Rockies and have driven in snow too.

Oh, I also get out my flannel pj's and warm fuzzy slipper socks

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lynsey

Oh, I also get out my flannel pj's and warm fuzzy slipper socks
Yes!
We might not have the snow, but at least it gets cold enough to enjoy these! And I also love flannel sheets! They remind me of my Mom! (RIP Mom...I love you & miss you so)

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My philosophy on snow is this, I like to go visit the snow, like skiing or for fun stuff and then I can leave, I don't like it to visit me and my home for any amount of time!