Taking Care of your cat on Halloween

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not worried about any of mine. I'm concerned about my neighbor's two brothers. They come over to my yard a lot, and just cross the street back and forth a lot in general. With the weather turning cold that means more parents will be driving their kids around.

Their cats are strictly outdoor only front declawed - who knows why.
Suggestions on this one when I don't know how the neighbors would react to being suggested they keep an eye on their cats?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't get many trick or treaters, but we more/less confine the cats to the basement for a few hours around supper time and right after so they don't try to get out. Only one to worry about as she trys to escape once in awhile is Ling (and she is black & white).

Keno (our lab) loves to greet the kids.

This Halloween we won't be home - we will be in Sioux Falls at a cat show

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have alot of kids in my building, and they're very noisy as they're trick-or-treating, so there'll be alot of noise and the doorbell ringing alot. Larry will spend the evening under the quilt, hiding. I know he won't come out at all, so there's no danger of him running out.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know there's numbers of kids in my neighborhood but I didn't get any trick-or-treaters last year at all.
Ku Ku usually runs away & hides if somebody knocks on the door anyways.
I am not too worried.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll be taking the cat out on his harness with me to see how he likes the trick or treaters. ^^

he is otherwise a basement cat so I hope he likes the company.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

I'll be taking the cat out on his harness with me to see how he likes the trick or treaters. ^^

he is otherwise a basement cat so I hope he likes the company.
He'll probably be scared silly. If you really intend to do that, then please ensure the harness is very snug on him and that he cannot get out. Bijou is like Houdini if the harness is not really snug. I'd hate to see you lose your kitty on Halloween.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to put Cammy and Abbey in their room. Cammy loves trying to bolt outside and Abbey love following big sister.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

He'll probably be scared silly. If you really intend to do that, then please ensure the harness is very snug on him and that he cannot get out. Bijou is like Houdini if the harness is not really snug. I'd hate to see you lose your kitty on Halloween.
Well he is a people friendly cat and I always make sure his harness is snug for going outside.

The cartrip we had to take across the country got him used to being outside in strange places surrounded by strange people.

If he gets stressed out at all, I'll be sure to tuck him away in his favorite nappy place and give him lots of loves and his favorite stuffed animal.

I would never presume to assume that I could take a high strung or easily spooked kitty outside on such a busy night, but I know that he is more curious than afraid, and I like any excuse where I can get my grandfather to be okay with us bringing him out of the basement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Bumping this up.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if your cat is a "people cat" - they can freak out with people in costumes. Personally I would not take a cat or dog on a leash to watch the kids coming and going.

A freaked out cat on a leash is very hard to control and you could easily get hurt in a panic.

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Although we don't get many trick or treaters, we do live next to a bad area so we will all be lying low with the curtains shut and the letter box sellotaped! We also have fireworks going off night after night and my dog is terrified of them, I hope our newest arrival isn't going to be too bothered by them.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Even if your cat is a "people cat" - they can freak out with people in costumes. Personally I would not take a cat or dog on a leash to watch the kids coming and going.
That's true. I know that most of my cats get freaked out at anything that changes my appearance/silhouette.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in a two-family with separate entrances for each apartment. We get pretty many trick-or-treaters, so we hand out candy from my downstairs neighbor's front porch. That way nobobdy goes to my front door and the kitties aren't disturbed.

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We don't give out candy and Sasha is an inside cat. When we used to have strays and ferals we would get as amny as we could in the cat house and shut them in for the evening.