TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Parsley?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Parsley?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I have quite a bit of this in the garden and we are supposed to get our first frost tonight. I had initially thought of making parsley pesto, but made so much basil pesto yesterday that I will never use it all.

Anyone have ideas or recipes to use up a lot of parsley?

Thanks!
post #2 of 14
I think parsley will be ok with a light frost, my boss has her parsley in the ground still and they've had frosts, aside from it being eaten by deer it looks fine.

You could always hang it or lay it in the oven and dry it
post #3 of 14
I've also heard that a good way to save extra herbs is to trim and clean them, then tuck them into ice cube trays, fill with water, and freeze. Then when you need some, you just pop out a cube!
post #4 of 14
I have a really lovely recipe for chilled cream of parsley soup. Not surprisingly, it uses quite a bit of parsley. If you're interested, I'll look it out for you later.
post #5 of 14
I would freeze a whole lot of it. Chop it up first and either freeze it just inside those freezer bags, or in ice cubes. I've done the freezer bags and it works fine but it will dry out if you don't use it up in say 2 months.
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47 View Post
I have a really lovely recipe for chilled cream of parsley soup. Not surprisingly, it uses quite a bit of parsley. If you're interested, I'll look it out for you later.
Yes please. Thank you.
post #7 of 14
I always freeze mine, but it can stay in the ground through most anything. In Bosnia, where the temperature can go down to minus 22C in winter, they leave it for two or three years and then eat the roots, which are delicious, a bit like a peppery parsnip.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyranson View Post
I always freeze mine, but it can stay in the ground through most anything. In Bosnia, where the temperature can go down to minus 22C in winter, they leave it for two or three years and then eat the roots, which are delicious, a bit like a peppery parsnip.
Wow!! How interesting!
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47 View Post
I have a really lovely recipe for chilled cream of parsley soup. Not surprisingly, it uses quite a bit of parsley. If you're interested, I'll look it out for you later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbysMom View Post
Yes please. Thank you.
OK, here goes...

1 large bunch of parsley
3 to 4 cups chicken broth
2 cups light cream
2 egg yolks
Salt and pepper
4 drops hot-pepper sauce
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Whipped cream to taste, or minced chives

1. Wash and dry parsley. Chop fine, stems and all. Add to chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

2. Strain through a fine sieve and add light cream beaten with egg yolks. Beat with a wire whisk over low heat for 2 minutes. Romove from heat.

3. Add salt and pepper to taste, hot pepper sauce and minced parsley. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.

4. Serve cold, garnished with whipped cream to taste or a sprinkle of minced chives.

Makes 6 servings.

And as I recall, when I did this I would have needed more than 6 servings, so I probably doubled the recipe. It's been a while, but it was very well received. Enjoy.
post #10 of 14
i froze mine.
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
I made two parsley soups last week. They both came out pretty good. Fran, we decided yours is better for warmer weather and the other one I made (a hot one) is better for cooler weather. Thanks for the recipe.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbysMom View Post
I made two parsley soups last week. They both came out pretty good. Fran, we decided yours is better for warmer weather and the other one I made (a hot one) is better for cooler weather. Thanks for the recipe.
More than welcome. I'm not surprised by that verdict.
post #13 of 14
I absolutely love parsley!

I once had a parsley salsa in my burrito once - it was SO good! I wouldn't know how to make it though.
post #14 of 14
The only thing I use parsley for is to give to lactacting queens when they have mastitis
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Parsley?