Possible breeds of these puppies?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a dog in the shelter and are not sure what (dominant) breed she is either

This is the mom and puppies at 3 weeks

Mom

She is a medium size - according to the different vets she has seen and people who have seen her, Hound, Collie and a load of different breeds could be the dominant

The pups however are huge, they have grown a lot this week and are easily the size of the 6 week old German Shep / Beagle X puppies we had a few weeks ago already at 3-4 weeks (the pics are from earlier this week and they have grown lots since then too)

Any ideas?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the puppies to me look shepard /saint .. mom looks shepard / collie or lab to me

allfurlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At our shelter right now we have 2 Collie/Saint Bernard X and they look alot like those puppies, especially the tan and white.
First glance at that mom and I thought shep/collie/corgi!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its so hard to tell with puppies compared to adult dogs. I'm guessing some kind of St. Bernard or Rottie in them - they are all different so its very hard to guess at this point.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The mother is obviously VERY mixed. As muttly as they come

The tan one with a black face (in the background of the second pic) looks like a Boxer mix. The one in the first pic, the one in the third/fourth pic and the one in the background of the fourth pic look very German Shepherd-y. The one in the foreground of the second pic looks like it has a lot of Collie in it. Though it's hard to tell at that age.

Puppies in the same litter can have different fathers, too (if the mother mated with more than one male), so they might not all be the same mix.

I think they will all grow up to be my favorite breed----big hairy mutt
. They're very cute.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I think they will all grow up to be my favorite breed----big hairy mutt
. They're very cute.

That's about as mixed up as I've seen in a while. I see rottie, lab, boxer, shepard, hound and a lot more in that family.

My mom called this type of dog "Heinz 57 Variety". My dad called them "The Postman's Daughter". I call them cute.

allfurlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

That's about as mixed up as I've seen in a while. I see rottie, lab, boxer, shepard, hound and a lot more in that family.

My mom called this type of dog "Heinz 57 Variety". My dad called them "The Postman's Daughter". I call them cute.
They are the best kind
The mom looks like a sweet girl. Poor thing for having to push out those huge puppies

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mom reminds me of a dog I fostered named Annie. We never could figure out what she was other than a sheperdy mutt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Mom reminds me of a dog I fostered named Annie. We never could figure out what she was other than a sheperdy mutt.
Yeah but you know how all the shelter software makes you enter a breed?

I thought she looked like she had Corgi in her but she is bigger than that so we went with Hound / Corgi mix as they were both on different pieces of paperwork

But the puppies

They are so cute, they are at that snorty age. Unfortunately we dont have a foster for her so they have grown up in the shelter. The tan/buffish and white one is my absolute fave - he is like a little piggy

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Yeah but you know how all the shelter software makes you enter a breed?
Oh I would die if they finally made "mutt" or "heinz 57" an option!
Sometimes they are just plain old mutts!

If all else fails - you can just call them "Lab mixes".

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our regular one is German Shep X but we ran into problems with it before because our software prints our free insurance document and the vet they took the dog to disagreed with whatever breed we put in and the insurance co wouldnt pay because 'it wasnt the same dog'.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'd use a Shepherd mix for a "breed" rather then a Lab mix - they really don't look much like Labs and there are so many of those anyway.

I agree - the little (or big) cream/tan and white is my fav of the group.

autumnblueangel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The puppies look like German Shepard crosses.

The Mother looks like a German Shepard X Australian Cattle Dog.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The mom IMO looks like Shepherd/Akita/Border Collie

I'd call the puppies Shepherd mixes.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats what we originally thought (German Shepherd). However at 4 weeks they are already the size of 7-8 week old German Shepherd puppies so their size will play some part in our adoption decisions

bean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Thats what we originally thought (German Shepherd). However at 4 weeks they are already the size of 7-8 week old German Shepherd puppies so their size will play some part in our adoption decisions
I had a shepherd/husky who when she was a puppy was unusually large. The vet wasn't at all surprised. The puppies do have that shepherd look going on; as for mom... I found that you'll tell a lot from how she moves. As I'm sure you know, the different breeds have their own way of carrying themselves (angle of the tail, head, the way they jog etc). I'd have a close look at that as well as her very pretty face.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Puppies in the same litter can have different fathers, too (if the mother mated with more than one male), so they might not all be the same mix.
I think they will all grow up to be...----big hairy mutt
. They're very cute.
This was my total reply

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definitely some akita in mom, I don't see BC *maybe* ACD.

However, the first puppy looks JUST like madison who is BC x Dobi .

The dark brown one with the black muzzle looks like a mastif X

GOOD LUCK!!!

Puppies are SO hard to tell! I'd say it's better just to let them grow up, then start guessing - but that doesn't work when you're trying to find them good homes