Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol"

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought this book last week.

When a book is interesting, I devour it in a couple of days. In the last 6 days I've managed to read 58 pages of this book because it's so boring that I keep falling asleep!

I hope it picks up because there is no way I'm subjecting myself to much more of it unless it does.

IMHO if it makes the best sellers list it's only because his name is on the book, not because the book is a good one.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew it wouldn't be good so I didn't buy it and decided to wait and see if it goes on sale. Dan Brown's books are not too excitng for me
.I can't say I devoured his other books but I read them anyway cuz they weren't too boring. But I feel like any successful best seller writer only has 1 or 2 good books and then becomes either repetitive and runs out of ideas..thats why I didn't think the lost symbol would be good

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved Angels and Demons - The DaVinci Code was good. This Lost Symbol poop is going in the trash. I've read it, I'm done with it - BLAH!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

I hate to hear that. his other books that I have read have been good, especially Angels and Demons.
It's bloated and wordy and filled with big words that you need a dictionary to understand. So far I feel like I'm in a Physics class. I didn't understand Physics the first time around, and I sure don't understand a whole lot of what is being talked about in this book, and yet it goes on and on and on......

If you like big words, this is the book for you!

I also feel like I've been there and done that because it seems a rehashed blending of The Da Vince Code and Angels and Deamons.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually enjoyed it a lot. I love science and so I really got into it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I finally finished it! What usually would have taken me 2 or 3 days with a good book, took me almost 2 weeks!!

I skimmed through many parts of it. In this book the main character came across as more dense than usual. It was also very predictable, or at least I thought so. I figured out who the bad guy was early on, and where they would find the "treasure" purely based on the geographical location of the story.

After having read some of his other books, I expected better. I was very disappointed.

The entire story of the book could have been summed up in a single sentence. SPOILER BELOW:

You'll have to highlight the text below to read it.

"The Word" = The Bible
The sunrise and sunset over the Washington Monument = Our ascent to and decent from God = Hope.

That's the entire moral of the whole book!!

ixi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I couldn't get past the first three pages of The Da Vinci Code. I may give his books another try in a few years.
Me too. I only read it because everyone was making such a big deal out of it, but it was sooo boring. I finished it, but it was an on and off book for me. I would ignore it for weeks before reading a few pages.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code, less so Angels and Demons, and I think I'm over Dan Brown, actually, because, while he does tell a good story, I find his writing style annoying. His use of language is very LCD, not at all polished. I think I'll probably give The Lost Symbol a miss. Mind, I did enjoy Angels and Demons as a movie -- maybe they'll do this one, too, and I'd probably go see it.