TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Breaking Mews › a kiss before drowning (or "how stupid can you be?")
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

a kiss before drowning (or "how stupid can you be?")

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
well i was thinking of having the title of this thread be "how dumb can you be? part 2" but in this case, stupidity hurt someone else besides the stupid....... i dont know what to say about this.

http://www.newser.com/story/71299/da...-mistress.html

Dad Let Toddler Drown in Sea as He Macked on Mistress
'We heard a plop,' father recalls
Posted Oct 9, 09 3:02 AM CDT in World, Crime & Courts
post #2 of 19
Is walking the plank an accepted punishment where this happened?
post #3 of 19
Drowning for drowning sounds about right.
post #4 of 19
I recommend keel-hauling!
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by esrandall2000 View Post
I recommend keel-hauling!
Or how combining with Mr.Blanche's idea and walk the plank while tethered to the keel??? That poor child!!!
post #6 of 19
It's a horrible thing to have happened but accidents do happen to otherwise good people.

I think this whole thing is blown up because of the fact that he not only made a mistake with his children but that he was having an affair on top of it all.

I don't think he should walk free but should be slapped with at least a negligence charge.

The fact that he was having an affair really has nothing to do with what happened. If he had been kissing his wife, would anyone feel any differently? In the artical it says that both he and his mistress dove into the water to save the kids.

Sounds to me like a bad accident gone worse, but people make mistakes and from what I can see there really isn't anymore that either of them could have done.
post #7 of 19
Could I refer you to the Dave Letterman "karma" thread?
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomania View Post
It's a horrible thing to have happened but accidents do happen to otherwise good people.

I think this whole thing is blown up because of the fact that he not only made a mistake with his children but that he was having an affair on top of it all.

I don't think he should walk free but should be slapped with at least a negligence charge.

The fact that he was having an affair really has nothing to do with what happened. If he had been kissing his wife, would anyone feel any differently? In the artical it says that both he and his mistress dove into the water to save the kids.

Sounds to me like a bad accident gone worse, but people make mistakes and from what I can see there really isn't anymore that either of them could have done.

I agree with you.

regards, Christine
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Could I refer you to the Dave Letterman "karma" thread?
How many kids a day die in accidents?

How many of those children's parents have ever been involved in something that general society would think was "bad" or "wrong"?

Would you say that every single accident is the result of Karma?

I highly doubt that anyone, anything, any idea, or any diety would kill someone's children because of one simple mistake that more than half of the people in America make every day. (Just my opinion on adultery of course).
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
I have a bone to pick with the author of the article. it says "dad LET" Poor word choice. Let means allowed.

I hope the surviving child gets the best care in loving memory of his sister. May her death not be in vain
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomania View Post
The fact that he was having an affair really has nothing to do with what happened. If he had been kissing his wife, would anyone feel any differently?
If you're talking legalities, then it perhaps doesn't matter; but I know I would feel much differently depending on the circumstances. If we take it to extremes, letting go of the stroller to instinctively push an old lady out of the path of a speeding car should not resonate the same as if he were to let go of the stroller to pay a dealer for a crack rock. The moral component of what he was doing at the time should very much affect the the judgment behind how/why his child was compromised.
post #12 of 19
So everyone in here with kids never ever let go of their child's stroller even once for anything?

To me that just seems like something that happens.

The fact is he wasn't doing anything that would normally compromise his children. (Such as dealing or buying drugs.) If he had been buying and doing drugs while taking his chidren for a walk on the pier, then I would probably feel a lot differently since drugs severly alter your mental status. And the fact that taking your children to a place where drugs are sold is often dangerous (for anyone).

This really isn't comparable to drugs. To me this was an average man who made a mistake that a lot of people make on a daily basis. Everyone makes a mistake with their kids at some point in their lives, even extreme mistakes such as when my dad dislocated my elbow when I was 3. Most everyone would think "Wow, that guy's child needs to be taken away from him because he's a bad parent." When in reality, it was his first kid who was having a bad tantrum when she was supposed to go to bed, and a big burley man is a lot stronger than a fighting 3yo.

We are all just lucky that are mistakes aren't fatal most of the time, and we move on and learn from the experience how to become better parents.




FYI: I have a hard time explaining how I feel about things so I'm sorry if that didn't make any sense at all...
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
i bet that mistress now sees the devastating ramifications of getting involved with a married man. if not, well, then i have no words. no words at all.
post #14 of 19
That's just sad!! I feel so sorry for the dad, it was clearly an accident and I feel sorry for the toddler too But I feel like I'd rather be dead than live with something like that on my conscience.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomania View Post
The fact is he wasn't doing anything that would normally compromise his children...To me this was an average man who made a mistake that a lot of people make on a daily basis.
"Average men" are out going out en masse for a leisurely stroll with their mistress, with their kids tagging along? Damn, things are worse than I thought.

So, you don't think the fact that he was doing something clearly outside the pale of what he should be doing as a parent (read: cavorting with a mistress, and letting go of the stroller BECAUSE of her) matters at all in how his actions should be judged?

You can't just say, "Well, he could have been kissing anybody, accidents happen", because that's hypothesis contrary to fact, speculative, and meaningless. He was kissing her.
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keycube View Post
"Average men" are out going out en masse for a leisurely stroll with their mistress, with their kids tagging along? Damn, things are worse than I thought.

So, you don't think the fact that he was doing something clearly outside the pale of what he should be doing as a parent (read: cavorting with a mistress, and letting go of the stroller BECAUSE of her) matters at all in how his actions should be judged?

You can't just say, "Well, he could have been kissing anybody, accidents happen", because that's hypothesis contrary to fact, speculative, and meaningless. He was kissing her.
All I was thinking of was how many men cheat on their wives, especially when they have kids. My point was that he would have let go of the stroller to kiss his wife too and the same thing could have happened, but people would be a lot less volitile about it.

It's not like the mistress pushed the stroller into the water. So I don't really see how his choice in his marriage and relationships has anything to do with it.
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1atsite View Post
i bet that mistress now sees the devastating ramifications of getting involved with a married man. if not, well, then i have no words. no words at all.
The fact that she was involved with a married man didn't kill his child.

Heaven help us if the price of cheating on your spouse is the death of your children. What happened to the good old days of just beating the crap out of your husband's mistress?
post #18 of 19
As a new mom all I can say is that I'm very sorry for the family and even the mistress. The death of a child is tragic in any circumstances. It could just as easily been him and his wife. Parent's can't be on 24/7/365... our attention falters occasionally and it's sad that on this occasion it ended fatally. So, the next time your taking a chld for a walk... remember that stroller wheels have locks for a reason!
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomania View Post
It's not like the mistress pushed the stroller into the water. So I don't really see how his choice in his marriage and relationships has anything to do with it.
As a parent, his first priority should have been the care and well-being of his children, not his own pleasure. It was selfish and irresponsible of him to involve his children in the affair in the first place.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breaking Mews
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Breaking Mews › a kiss before drowning (or "how stupid can you be?")