Cat suddenly wanting to be inside?

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 6 month old cat, Minnie, has always been outdoors, and she loves being outdoors too! (At least that's what I thought) Now, when I go outside to feed her, she races to the door and meows, begging to be let in. My mom doesn't allow cats indoors, especially Minnie since she has litterbox issues. Even if she didn't, she wouldn't be allowed. Our cats (all pets, actually) are strictly outdoor and usually do fine. Minnie has been wanting in. I left the door a crack open today while feeding the dogs, and she rushed inside. I had a hard time catching her and took her back outside. I made up for it by giving her tuna lol

But now she's by the door meowing a lot and clawing at the screen. It's very unlike her since she's always been an outdoors cat and never knew much of inside since she was 3 months old. She's sitting on the porch step at this very moment, refusing to leave its spot. I'm sure though she'll get bored and leave, but now I have to be extra careful when I go out.
Trust me, if it were only me, I'd let her in. But it's my mom who refuses to let her inside. I just want to know WHY Minnie is doing this?

None of our other cats or dogs are picking on her. Everything appears normal... no change in scenery. I'm wondering if something traumatizing happened to her but I don't know what. Or is it the change of weather? Winter may be coming but where I am, it hasn't rained yet, and it's very nice outside. I'm just so confused!

Please, any advice or thoughts at all... please don't say: "Let her in! You're being mean!" because I really do want to let her in, but with my mom, it's not possible. Especially when she just discovered my little brother is allergic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Your mum wouldn't even consider letting you keep her in your room?

So sorry your mom feels that way.
My mom was once a big fan of cats but ever since she found out my brother was allergic, she wanted to get rid of them. But my brother didn't want to because he loves the cats (even if he can't be near them lol) but yeah, she can't be indoor at all. My mom thinks it's "too risky"

Also, I don't understand because she never showed interest in being indoors. When we kept her in (because she was spayed and recovering) about a month ago, she wanted to get right back outside ASAP. And now... this. She suddenly hates the outdoors for some reason.

Any way I can correct this issue?
She has left the porch step now, but as soon as I begin unlocking the door to go out, she comes running at full speed, meowing loudly.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Um - any interest on trying to educate your mom about how people with allergies can live with cats? It's done by quite a lot of people - myself included. I happen to be very allergic to cats - yet live with seven of them and my hubby in an RV.

Many of us are very allergic to pollen - but we don't get rid of all the flowers and trees.

Just a thought.

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Um - any interest on trying to educate your mom about how people with allergies can live with cats? It's done by quite a lot of people - myself included. I happen to be very allergic to cats - yet live with seven of them and my hubby in an RV.

Many of us are very allergic to pollen - but we don't get rid of all the flowers and trees.

Just a thought.
I highly doubt my mom would let me. If my brother plays with the cat, he'll get a terrible rash all over his body. The doctor told us any contact with the cat wouldn't be good so to keep the cat outdoors. Also, my mom already wouldn't let Minnie in because Minnie is hard to litter box train. I just need to know how to get Minnie to stop this behavior. It's uncalled for, especially when last time she hated being indoors, she's hardly ever been indoors to love it, and our other pets don't mind being outside. :/

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Just a thought.
I'm allergic to cats too. (skin rashes)

I live with 6 and I'm a cat judge and I judge hundreds on a yearly basis.

It can be done and as for believing everything Doctors say -
- is really all I can say about the Doctors opinion. They don't know about everything...

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I'm allergic to cats too. (skin rashes)

I live with 6 and I'm a cat judge and I judge hundreds on a yearly basis.

It can be done and as for believing everything Doctors say -
- is really all I can say about the Doctors opinion. They don't know about everything...
Are you saying my brother can be with the cat and not get a rash? Because if he gets a rash, my mom would just freak out. :/ He says he "can't breathe" when he is near the cat, but I think he's just exaggerating, although my mom now hates cats. I highly doubt Minnie will be let in, as much as I want her inside, but she needs to stop this behavior because nothing can really change. My cats are looking at her like she's crazy lol

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by meminikitty

I highly doubt my mom would let me. If my brother plays with the cat, he'll get a terrible rash all over his body.
There are steps that can be taken that will most likely prevent this. But if you have no interest in helping your mom understand this, then that's that.

The doctor told us any contact with the cat wouldn't be good so to keep the cat outdoors.
Obviously not a cat - or animal lover - up on the options that currently exist - both behavioral and medicinal.

Also, my mom already wouldn't let Minnie in because Minnie is hard to litter box train.
Well, given that something has happened outside to cause her enough stress to want to be inside, it seems to me that this poor kitty has a problem with stress-related issues.

I just need to know how to get Minnie to stop this behavior. It's uncalled for, especially when last time she hated being indoors...
I'm sorry, but I have a problem with this statement. Cats are emotional beings just like people are, and she's scared or upset about something. It has absolutely nothing to do with her behavior being "uncalled" for. You are not understanding it, and you want to know how to make her comfortable again in the environment she used to enjoy.

It sounds to me like Minni has issues with stress. Indoors, I have suggestions on how to help. I know none for keeping her outside. I'm sorry.

If I were in your shoes, I'd work on getting my mom better educated on how to deal with allergies. What happens to your brother if he develops seasonal allergies?

Really - to banish the cats she once loved to the outdoors makes no sense. To me. I don't think she's horrible for this - but my primary concern is for the health and happiness of the kitties.
Especially since allergies no longer prevent people from being with animals they're allergic to or being in the outdoors if they have seasonal allergies. Of course I care about your brother - but there are steps that can be taken to address his problem.

This isn't the first time I've seen you ask for advice that takes no consideration of the nature of a cat, rather just trying to figure out how to make an animal "behave" - when the problem has nothing to do with an actual behavior problem with a cat (like biting a person) - but something caused by instinct or stress.

The way to help Minnie to be happy outside is to figure out what caused her fear and address it. To sit with her and help her be calm. To be patient with her. To provide a place or space where she feels safe.

But really, this isn't an issue of correcting bad - or "uncalled for" behavior.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

There are steps that can be taken that will most likely prevent this. But if you have no interest in helping your mom understand this, then that's that.

Obviously not a cat - or animal lover - up on the options that currently exist - both behavioral and medicinal.

Well, given that something has happened outside to cause her enough stress to want to be inside, it seems to me that this poor kitty has a problem with stress-related issues.

I'm sorry, but I have a problem with this statement. Cats are emotional beings just like people are, and she's scared or upset about something. It has absolutely nothing to do with her behavior being "uncalled" for. You are not understanding it, and you want to know how to make her comfortable again in the environment she used to enjoy.

It sounds to me like Minni has issues with stress. Indoors, I have suggestions on how to help. I know none for keeping her outside. I'm sorry.

If I were in your shoes, I'd work on getting my mom better educated on how to deal with allergies. What happens to your brother if he develops seasonal allergies?

Really - to banish the cats she once loved to the outdoors makes no sense. To me. I don't think she's horrible for this - but my primary concern is for the health and happiness of the kitties.
Especially since allergies no longer prevent people from being with animals they're allergic to or being in the outdoors if they have seasonal allergies. Of course I care about your brother - but there are steps that can be taken to address his problem.

This isn't the first time I've seen you ask for advice that takes no consideration of the nature of a cat, rather just trying to figure out how to make an animal "behave" - when the problem has nothing to do with an actual behavior problem with a cat (like biting a person) - but something caused by instinct or stress.

The way to help Minnie to be happy outside is to figure out what caused her fear and address it. To sit with her and help her be calm. To be patient with her. To provide a place or space where she feels safe.

But really, this isn't an issue of correcting bad - or "uncalled for" behavior.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Sorry, sometimes I can't put my words down in the way I mean to say them. What makes you think I have no interest in helping my mom understand? I'm not going to argue with her once she's told me NO quite enough already. She means what she says, there's no way I can change her mind. If I could, I would. But I can't.

I also do understand my cat. When I said it was "uncalled" for, I guess that was the wrong word. I know my cat is scared about something, I'm just confused as to what. She has 3 cats and 3 dogs who absolutely love her outside, she's in the safety of the yard and the dogs are her guardians... so IDK what it could be.

I'm not responsible for my mom's decisions, I have to respect her wishes.

This isn't the first time I've seen you ask for advice that takes no consideration of the nature of a cat, rather just trying to figure out how to make an animal "behave"

Umm... what exactly are you trying to say? You made me sound like I abuse my animals, which I absolutely do not! I love my cats. Last time, I believe it was Minnie going after my hens. I simply wanted to know how to make her stop. Is that a crime?

Sorry for the rant but you made me sound like I don't care about my cats, when I love them to death.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry, I definitely don't think you don't care about your cats (meaning I can tell you do care about your cats - the double negative can be confusing). I also don't think you abuse your animals. I guess perhaps it's just a problem, as you said, of not finding the right words to express what you mean.

Of course you're right, you have to respect your mom's wishes. If you would like to learn about how to deal with cat allergies, this is an excellent thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204106

If your mom has no interest and the subect is closed, then there isn't much you can do. But at least you'll have the info for yourself if you have a friend, boyfriend in the future, or when you have children - and any of them are allergic.

As to how to help Minnie right now, hopefully someone with outdoor kitties or more creative ideas will be able to help you with ideas.

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I'm sorry, I definitely don't think you don't care about your cats (meaning I can tell you do care about your cats - the double negative can be confusing). I also don't think you abuse your animals. I guess perhaps it's just a problem, as you said, of not finding the right words to express what you mean.

Of course you're right, you have to respect your mom's wishes. If you would like to learn about how to deal with cat allergies, this is an excellent thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204106

If your mom has no interest and the subect is closed, then there isn't much you can do. But at least you'll have the info for yourself if you have a friend, boyfriend in the future, or when you have children - and any of them are allergic.

As to how to help Minnie right now, hopefully someone with outdoor kitties or more creative ideas will be able to help you with ideas.
Ye-eah... sorry for blowing up at ya.

Thanks for showing me the thread. I tried to show my mom but she didn't really care for it.
even though I did see some good solutions for my brother and his allergies... I guess they could be for future reference.
I'm just going to try to spend extra time with little Minnie and hope that the extra TLC will work. Just some 1-on-1 time after school..

Thanks so much for helping me out

Note* Feel free to let me know if you have any more ideas or comments

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have adequate shelters and safe spaces for your cats and dogs? I know you mentioned a fenced in area, are they protected from the road? I would be constantly worried if my pets had to stay outside all of the time.

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, definitely. They have shelter in the yard for bad weather conditions, and they cannot get to the road even if they tried! Before getting any pets, my dad made sure that the backyard was secure enough so that none of our pets could get hit by cars or get into trouble with the neighbors. Although, one tree leads to my neighbor's yard. Luckily, my neighbor adores Minnie, so she's kind of like both of our cats.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have outdoor farm cats. When winter comes around - some do anything to try to get inside - I've had one rip screens wide open. I compromise by letting the ones who really want in, into the bathroom overnight (by morning they want back out).

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I have outdoor farm cats. When winter comes around - some do anything to try to get inside - I've had one rip screens wide open. I compromise by letting the ones who really want in, into the bathroom overnight (by morning they want back out).
Really? So it's the change in weather?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Really? So it's the change in weather?
Could be that it's getting colder (here in MN they are saying a high of 39 Sunday!). She may have been attacked by something & fears for her life.

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Could be that it's getting colder (here in MN they are saying a high of 39 Sunday!). She may have been attacked by something & fears for her life.
That'd be terrible if she were attacked since she's so small, but usually the dogs and cats are pretty protective of her. Although, my dog is now 7 weeks pregnant and snaps at anything that comes too close to her (unless its me). Minnie and her used to cuddle... I'm wondering if my dog bolted at Minnie for getting too close to her tummy...

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know that you love Minnie but that she cannot live inside your home and she wants to come inside. You said that your neighbor loves her too, is there a chance that your neighbor would let Minnie become her indoor cat? You could still see her and she would be safe inside where she seems to want to be. If she can't get inside and is fearful of something outside, I am concerned she may run away. This way you would know she was safe.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought was...are you sure she's not pregnant? 6 months old is not too young, and I can't remember if you said she was spayed or not. The first pregancy usually freaks them out, and they want comfort (if they are used to humans) and a safe place to go (inside). If she's not, and if your mom is adament about not letting her in, can you get a small dog crate, covered, and sit it beside your door? It could just be the change of seasons that is making her scared. I don't know where you are, but around here the temp has fluctuated so much plus we've had some nasty wind storms that scared a lot of the barn cats.

Having a safe enclosed place close to the home, that is HER'S might help calm her down. Look in the classifieds or on craiglist to pick up one cheap. That will give her some shelter, and fill it with old sheets/blankets, etc. Also, one of your old t-shirts (dirty, not clean) would help because it would smell like you and be comforting to her.

Just spoil her rotten outside. During the winter, I buy a lot of chicken soup at the dollar store ($0.50/can) and make that with rice in it for the barn cats and feed it to them hot. Also, make sure the water you put out for her, the other cats and dogs is HOT once it gets cold. It will keep it from freezing fast, and will give them something to warm their tummies.

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, she can't be pregnant because she's spayed.
But I can see how you would think that... if she wasn't spayed I'd be wondering if she was pregnant... I believe its the change in season. This morning I was telling my neighbor about it. We agreed that she could stay in my neighbor's house over winter and we'll see what happens when spring comes by. I checked on her after school today. She seemed a lot calmer. Last night all she did was meow at the door. So I'm glad she's a lot happier, thanks for the advice guys
Although it's kind of sad I can't see her as much... but all that matters is that she's finally her usual self again. My neighbor has a cat and they cuddle together... (sigh) so I'm sure she'll be fine. Luckily my neighbor doesn't mind me checking on her all the time.