Cat eating lots more?

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 5 month old cat, Minnie, is starting to eat a lot! I was once concerned that she was too skinny and she's always been such a light eater. Now, whenever I come outside to feed her, she comes running and begins to gobble everything up! I'm so happy because this might mean she'll gain SOME weight
but my trick is putting a bit of milk in her bowl, so it's like kitty cereal. When she laps up the milk, the food goes in too. I know milk might not be the best choice for cats but it seems she has no reaction to it... so would it be OK? I give it to her everyday and now all of a sudden, eating is her favorite thing to do!

Also, something totally unrelated but I don't want to make 2 threads.

Minnie was playing in the trees yesterday (she can climb up as swiftly as a squirrel and has no fear of getting back down) and I was watching her as she showed off her climbing skills lol. Then, she saw a little bird a few feet in front of her, slightly above her. She wagged her tail, and got ready to pounce. She was so excited that she made a funky little vibrating sound that came out of her lips. It was so strange! haha was she just excited or what?

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meminikitty

My 5 month old cat, Minnie, is starting to eat a lot! I was once concerned that she was too skinny and she's always been such a light eater. Now, whenever I come outside to feed her, she comes running and begins to gobble everything up! I'm so happy because this might mean she'll gain SOME weight
but my trick is putting a bit of milk in her bowl, so it's like kitty cereal. When she laps up the milk, the food goes in too. I know milk might not be the best choice for cats but it seems she has no reaction to it... so would it be OK? I give it to her everyday and now all of a sudden, eating is her favorite thing to do!

Also, something totally unrelated but I don't want to make 2 threads.

Minnie was playing in the trees yesterday (she can climb up as swiftly as a squirrel and has no fear of getting back down) and I was watching her as she showed off her climbing skills lol. Then, she saw a little bird a few feet in front of her, slightly above her. She wagged her tail, and got ready to pounce. She was so excited that she made a funky little vibrating sound that came out of her lips. It was so strange! haha was she just excited or what?
Many cats become lactose intolerant in older age despite the belief that cats love milk. The reason she likes it is most likely that it makes it kind of gravy style. Warm water will do the same thing! Cats in the "teenage" years usually eat like pigs, but make sure she is parasite free since that can also cause an appetite increase in younger cats.

The trilling noise you heard is totally normal. Very common for cats to make this sound when they're in predator mode.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

Many cats become lactose intolerant in older age despite the belief that cats love milk. The reason she likes it is most likely that it makes it kind of gravy style. Warm water will do the same thing! Cats in the "teenage" years usually eat like pigs, but make sure she is parasite free since that can also cause an appetite increase in younger cats.

The trilling noise you heard is totally normal. Very common for cats to make this sound when they're in predator mode.
So I can replace milk with warm water and she'll still enjoy it? I'll try that because I was kind of worried about the milk. She does smack her lips when she finishes with it... i don't know why... but I'll try warm water. Thanks!

Predator mode--luckily I grabbed my cat because I like having the birds around.