FIV and diarrhea, suggestion?

goo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi All, need help again. First the history, 15 year old male, diabetic since age 9 manage with insulin shoot everyday. Starting about a month ago he was having diarrhea and a week later I took him to the vet with concern about diarrhea and weight lost.

Blood work show that everything normal, diabetic in good control, kidney value a little high(Last test back in March is normal) but still ok and FIV +.

First time testing FIV(I think), vet said he may have born with it since he is indoor only cat.

Vet said that the diarrhea most likely course by FIV and gave him 10days of tylocin 50mg, shortly after the 10days period diarrhea stopped. And the last couple wk Leslie start gaining weight.

Leslie hated vet and it stress him out everytime i have to bring him in, he refuse to eat for a day and upset for a few days after visit.

This morning he is having diarrhea again, maybe a one off maybe not, will have to wait and see.

I am looking for some suggestion on stopping or helping the diarrhea on FIV cat, since visiting vet really stress him out.

Should I ask the vet to give me another round of Tylocin?

One more note, I usually give him 3unit of insulin a day. After the visit since he isn't really eating myself and the vet agree to reduce the insulin lvl.
day 1-2 after visit 3unit
day 3-5 after visit 1unit - eating better
day 6-8 after visit 1.5unit - poo starting to form
day 9-10 after visit 2unit -poo soften again
day 11-13 after visit 1.5unit - better again
day 14-18 after visit 2unit - perfect
day 19-22 after visit 2.5unit - diarrhea again and today is day 24 i think.

Not sure if it is related or coincident, it looks like everytime i raise his poo soften or diarrhea start again.

What are the chances of the diarrhea is insulin related and not FIV? I still using the same bottle since everything started a month or so ago.

And the reason for me to rise the insulin lvl is that he is drink too much for my like. and I know him long enough to know what is too much.

Long one but thanks for reading.

He is not vomitting, he vomit alot before the drug.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Goo

What are the chances of the diarrhea is insulin related and not FIV? I still using the same bottle since everything started a month or so ago.
I'd wonder about that bottle, too, but since his levels seem good hopefully that means nothing is wrong with it. Do make sure to ask your vet about this.

I'm curious about something. What vaccinations has your cat had? Was he ever vaccinated for FIV?

It may be worth trying a probiotic while you try to figure out what's going on and get it under control. There's been a decent thread about bene-bac recently. With his other issues diarrhea could take more of a toll on him than a healthier cat.

IMO, I think it would be best if you sat down, or had a long phone call, with your vet to discuss these symptoms and where to go next - then bring your kitty in. If you and the vet already have a plan it may make it quicker to get what tests need to be done over with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

IMO, I think it would be best if you sat down, or had a long phone call, with your vet to discuss these symptoms and where to go next - then bring your kitty in. If you and the vet already have a plan it may make it quicker to get what tests need to be done over with.
When you are visiting one of the better clinic around town and those vet pretty much agree everything I said and all they do is throw every possibility to me and suggest me to do more test and revisit every 2 wk, I will have to looks for answer somewhere else.