Buying a kitten overseas...Need advice please!

enamored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am in the US and I am importing a kitten from Russia. Obviously, this is going to be a very costly thing, so I want everything to go smoothly. I was the one who initially contacted the breeder inquiring about her kittens and she warned me it would be very costly and to check out local breeders first. For various reasons (not important), I finally decided to buy from her and we have talked about everything so far.

As far as payment goes, of course I have to pay her the full amount before she'd even think of letting the kitten go. She went to her bank in Russia and opened a US bank account there and gave me all the information to it, including account number. I believe I am supposed to go to my bank and transfer the money into the account. BEFORE I do that, however, I want to know if there is anything I should do to save my butt in case something goes wrong.

E.g. In the case that I do NOT receive the kitten and whatever else could happen. Basically, I am more concerned about not receiving the kitten and having paid her the full amount. I would be out a lot of $$$.

I can ask her for a receipt, but I would get that AFTER she receives the money. Anything else I can do or is this just going to be a big risk and I have to trust that the breeder will do right? I have been speaking to her for weeks now via email and she is not fishy by any means (very honest), but I am a paranoid individual in general, so I can't help but think the worst of everything. Thanks!!!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you ask other breeders if she has a good reputation? We have a few Ocicat Yahoo groups and sometimes people will ask or warn about other breeders.

ETA, you can also ask judges. Many judges travel around the world, and may know of the person you are dealing with.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are pretty much completely out of luck once you pay the $$ to her. This is an extremely risky transaction... Is there a reason for it, like this breed not being available in the US at all?
I have never seen a contract that has been able to be carried through internationally. Sure, you can write whatever you want into it - enforcing it is a whole other thing. So.... All I can say is pray that you get your kitty, and good luck with that. I have seen plenty of people getting "scammed" out of their $$$ in here in the US by less than honest breeders, and the customers being left with nowhere to run for help.... Imagine in an international transaction.... Oh boy...

ETA: I am not saying this person is a scam, but IF she is, you are completely unprotected, and there is really no way to know it, IMHO.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by enamored

I have been speaking to her for weeks now via email and she is not fishy by any means (very honest), but I am a paranoid individual in general, so I can't help but think the worst of everything. Thanks!!!
Just one more thing: Anyone can be anything on the net.... especially for $$$. I do not know this person, but do not assume she is very honest when you only know her by email....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

enamored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now I'm even more paranoid
I am going to email some of the other Russian breeders to ask them. But I see that they have this breeder saved as a friend on Facebook, too, so I don't know if they're friends already. Other than that, I don't know how to get in contact with the judges.

It is a colorpoint Scottish Fold in a very beautiful color and the US does not have this color because it is not allowed in CFA shows. CFA does not believe that colorpoints are natural for folds and that they must have been bred with another breed to obtain that color... The breeder told me that all her cats have colorpoints in their genes and that they will not be allowed in CFA shows. TICA is ok with it.

It's not the price of the kitten that is expensive, it's on par with the rest of the show quality kitten prices here in US; it's the shipping that kills it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If TICA is ok with it, you should be able to find a breeder in the US, and would be much much safer that way...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

enamored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I looked everywhere for months before, but did not find a breeder that had this color. It is a silver shaded green eyed. I will look and ask around again as I agree I would be much more confident, but I really don't think I can find one. Thanks !

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I looked everywhere for months before, but did not find a breeder that had this color. It is a silver shaded green eyed. I will look and ask around again as I agree I would be much more confident, but I really don't think I can find one. Thanks !
A member here has one of those... I don't remeber if it is a fold ot a Brit Shorthair... GORGEOUS... I don't think she is in the US either...
Anyways, good luck!!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

A member here has one of those... I don't remeber if it is a fold ot a Brit Shorthair... GORGEOUS... I don't think she is in the US either...
Anyways, good luck!!
That would be me.
I have a black silver shaded BSH. And I have his son, silver spotted Scottish Fold. As you can see from my location, I'm in Finland which is right next to Russia.
May I ask what cattery are you getting your kitten from? Drop me a PM.
I've been surfing on many many catteries sites from Europe and Russia, and I can help with choosing good lines if pedigree matters to you, as I own (and soon breed) silvers and colorpoints.

I'm also importing a kitten (BLH from Germany), but we haven't yet discussed how the payment will be made. My friend is flying with the kitten so maybe I'll give the money to her and pay in cash when she meets the breeder. (And make two 'receipts' which will be signed by the breeder and on my behalf by my friend.)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Up to you to buy what you feel you want, but IMO if the cat can only be shown in one association (I don't believe that colorpoint is accepted in ACFA either), you may want to reconsider.

I'd rather buy a cat that can compete in at least 2 associations if not all of them. I think the chocolate bicolor BSH's are pretty cool, but its not an accepted color choice in CFA or ACFA and this is where I show and register.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Up to you to buy what you feel you want, but IMO if the cat can only be shown in one association (I don't believe that colorpoint is accepted in ACFA either), you may want to reconsider.
Why should the cat be shown in different associations? They may have different standards to even body built so I think that's a bit odd.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

That would be me.
I have a black silver shaded BSH. And I have his son, silver spotted Scottish Fold. As you can see from my location, I'm in Finland which is right next to Russia.
May I ask what cattery are you getting your kitten from? Drop me a PM.
I've been surfing on many many catteries sites from Europe and Russia, and I can help with choosing good lines if pedigree matters to you, as I own (and soon breed) silvers and colorpoints.

I'm also importing a kitten (BLH from Germany), but we haven't yet discussed how the payment will be made. My friend is flying with the kitten so maybe I'll give the money to her and pay in cash when she meets the breeder. (And make two 'receipts' which will be signed by the breeder and on my behalf by my friend.)
I know!!! I had found you from my thread about BSH, and sent your information to him by PM... By this time he probably already contacted you... Thank NG!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the most part, in the USA CFA, TICA and ACFA have the same standards to judge the cats. Some breeds (like Bengals) are only accepted in TICA or ACFA. Others may accept some colors but not all.

Here, you should be able to compete in all associations with a quality cat (say Persian). My Cornish Rex was a Grand Champion in CFA, ACFA and unofficially TICA. My Ocicat will be granded in both CFA and ACFA too.

Some breeders only show in one association and that is fine, but most others can take their cats to several with no problem.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You do not have to buy cats in the colors your want in order to breed those colors. As a new breeder, you should focus on type and then later work on developing the color. If you are working with a color that is not allowed in all associations, you should be aware of the fact that there will be breeders who will refuse to work with you.

I would suggest flying out to Russia to meet this breeder and if the cat is acceptable, bring it back home with you. If not. . . then at least you got to travel! I also would not want to send a cat alone on such a long international flight. Too much could go wrong, and the cargo hold can be traumatic to the cat.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

You do not have to buy cats in the colors your want in order to breed those colors. As a new breeder, you should focus on type and then later work on developing the color. If you are working with a color that is not allowed in all associations, you should be aware of the fact that there will be breeders who will refuse to work with you.
The OP has chosen a kitten whose color is accepted in all(?) associations so there shouldn't be a problem. I however have chosen color (and breed) which is only accepted in TICA atm. Even these things haven't turned any of my breeder friends away from me and they don't see it as a problem, few are actually now even more interested working with me. But maybe we are a bit different here in Europe..

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I know, the OP has chosen a shaded silver.
If the kitten doesn't have colorpoints in X amount of generations, CFA should accept it, right?

I forgot to add to my previous post that of course type is more important than color, but when you can combine two cats of excellent type but not the wanted color and the result is the color hoped for, I don't see a problem in it (i.e. silverpoints).

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

It is a colorpoint Scottish Fold in a very beautiful color and the US does not have this color because it is not allowed in CFA shows. CFA does not believe that colorpoints are natural for folds and that they must have been bred with another breed to obtain that color... The breeder told me that all her cats have colorpoints in their genes and that they will not be allowed in CFA shows. TICA is ok with it.
Northernglow, above is exactly what the OP wrote. The cat is not of a color accepted by CFA according to their post. CFA is an international organization, and thus also present in Europe. While you may be fortunate enough to not have encountered any breeders who refuse to work with you based upon the colors of your cats, I can assure you that they are out there and sooner or later you will encounter them.

I am not familair with CFA's registration policies for the Folds, but you can expect to have to have to have the pedigrees free of colorpoints, chocolates, and lilacs for 5-8 generations.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

Northernglow, above is exactly what the OP wrote. The cat is not of a color accepted by CFA according to their post. CFA is an international organization, and thus also present in Europe. While you may be fortunate enough to not have encountered any breeders who refuse to work with you based upon the colors of your cats, I can assure you that they are out there and sooner or later you will encounter them.

I am not familair with CFA's registration policies for the Folds, but you can expect to have to have to have the pedigrees free of colorpoints, chocolates, and lilacs for 5-8 generations.
Well, in the picture she/he sent me, the cat is black silver shaded, has colorpoints in pedigree though. And this cat is going to be a pet, not a breeding cat.

As for my own situation, I know there are some people who doesn't like the fact that I have a scottish fold, or that I'm importing a cat of 'forbidden' color. But these people are only familiar with FifÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] and thus are very prejudgemental about anything outside of fifÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]-world. Gladly there are lots of breeders in Sweden and Russia who I can also work with. They have had other associations besides FifÃ[emoji]169[/emoji], for long time, and are much more open minded.