Possible sleep apnea

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I finally had my "annual" physical today. (I put quotes on annual because I haven't had one in 3 years) I talked to the doctor about being tired all the time & the fact that I can sleep about 20 hours on Saturdays. She said it's not normal. So she did a thyroid test to check that. Then she suggested that the amount of time I'm sleeping is more than would be related to a thyroid problem. So I need to get a hold of a local sleep center, but I took a look at some photos of a CPAP machine. I'm not sure I ever want to put one of those things on. I'm 35 & single, I guess I associate that kind of thing with old men. I know it's stupid, but I'm thinking who wants to wake up next to a woman with one of those crazy looking things on? Anyway just had to vent my concerns about possibly having sleep apnea.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got sleep apnea, and wear a CPAP machine. If you have sleep apnea, trust me, you'll forget about how silly you feel once you start feeling functional again!

And while it's good to wear it every night, with a new relationship it wouldn't hurt not to wear it initially
Then once you're comfortable, you can just turn it on right before you fall asleep and you or your partner won't even notice it.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I've got sleep apnea, and wear a CPAP machine. If you have sleep apnea, trust me, you'll forget about how silly you feel once you start feeling functional again!

I still fall asleep instantly and sleep all night without moving much. You won't notice how unattractive it is.

Any new partners - just let them what a bitch you are if you skip a night - since waking up all night will do that to a person. They should beg you to wear it next time.

Also - there are other treatment options besides the CPAP. It works and is instant, that is why it is a go-to device. I suggest you at least start treating yourself then down the line consider other options. ( I did, but am still on the CPAP by choice).

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that you should look into other treatments for it before condemning yourself to something that you wont ever be happy with.

A lot of people suffer from sleep apnea and just don't know it. Whether it's so mild that it's never brought up, or that people just aren't educated enough.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only got diagnosed last year and have been suffering for many years I daresay - I had no idea it wasn't "normal" to feel that tired all the time!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I know it's stupid, but I'm thinking who wants to wake up next to a woman with one of those crazy looking things on?
If the person truly cares about you they'll be concerned and make sure you have it on.

I wish I could convince my DH to get checked out. He snores loudly and, though it's better lately, still does that little thing where he stops breathing for a moment then gasps or snorts. If he did have to wear a cpap I wouldn't mind, especially if it stopped the snoring.

Good lucking getting and getting through your sleep study. It may very well be that you have a lower grade of it and not enough for a doctor to prescribe a cpap.
Or maybe something else is going on in your sleep? Some people will have sleep issues that pull them out of REM but it's not apnea.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

If the person truly cares about you they'll be concerned and make sure you have it on.

I wish I could convince my DH to get checked out. He snores loudly and, though it's better lately, still does that little thing where he stops breathing for a moment then gasps or snorts. If he did have to wear a cpap I wouldn't mind, especially if it stopped the snoring.

Good lucking getting and getting through your sleep study. It may very well be that you have a lower grade of it and not enough for a doctor to prescribe a cpap.
Or maybe something else is going on in your sleep? Some people will have sleep issues that pull them out of REM but it's not apnea.
I second everything Strange_Wings said.
I also will add if someone is freaked out about you wearing a breathing device while you sleep to avoid possible death, would you really want them in your life anyway?

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You might have leg movement disorder too or instead. I met someone who woke over 100 times from it during his sleep lab and didnt know it. I have that + apnea. (It is restless legs while I'm awake. I dont know if it always is a sleep prob too; has a different name though for some reason).

Sleep labs regardless are not a bad idea. It could be a whole bunch of things.

I kinda like the CPAP b/c I like white noise. Helps me sleep

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I wonder if it is the cats, but then what. If I lock them out of the bedroom they will wake me up anyway. Well I guess I will find out. I made an appointment to pick up something called the Apnea Link next Tuesday.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gary has sleep apnea. I wish he could use one of those machines. But you have to sleep for a sleep study to be done - and he has enough trouble sleeping at home let alone in a strange bed. He hasn't been able to complete one.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too worried about the mask and how it looks. 7 months later I could care less!!! I love feeling like I had a good night sleep!
Even my DH doesn't mind the mask.
He hated when I would stop breathing and gasping for air. I guess I scared him a few too many times.

This is the mask I use and I even convinced my mother to give it a try and she loves it.

http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/sleep-...LT-for-Her.htm

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Gary has sleep apnea. I wish he could use one of those machines. But you have to sleep for a sleep study to be done - and he has enough trouble sleeping at home let alone in a strange bed. He hasn't been able to complete one.
So you're both certain he has it but because he hasn't been able to complete a study a doctor won't prescribe the cpap? With all of his health issues he needs good sleep, lack of it could be making everything else a lot worse. Can you not get a doctor to realize this and prescribe a cpap for a trial?
I know of another person that her apnea was only showing up as lower grade in a sleep study and that she didn't sleep much during the study either - she pushed her doctor into getting her set up with a cpap anyways.
Unlike any sort of medication, there's no harm or risks if it doesn't help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I'm not having a full study right off the bat. I am picking up some sort of device that I will use at home. I would think something like that might at least let them know it was sever then maybe they would see it is a real problem.

I went to bed at 9pm last night, got up at 6 am & I've still been tired all day. I guess this may turn out to make me happy. The question now becomes if I get a CPAP, will the cats leave it alone?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The question now becomes if I get a CPAP, will the cats leave it alone?
Hmm. Probably best to get some bitter apple spray or find ways to cover things if you get one. That would be an expensive chew toy for a cat...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm not having a full study right off the bat. I am picking up some sort of device that I will use at home. I would think something like that might at least let them know it was sever then maybe they would see it is a real problem.

I went to bed at 9pm last night, got up at 6 am & I've still been tired all day. I guess this may turn out to make me happy. The question now becomes if I get a CPAP, will the cats leave it alone?
You mean like something that monitors you while you sleep? Really? I haven't heard of ANY options like that! He's been to two different "sleep" doctors around here - and everyone refuses to do anything without the study!

And I am POSITIVE the lack of sleep is contributing to all kinds of problems! His immune system is shot and he gets sick all the time.
...he's able to get a scrip for oxygen - he gets huge tanks with on demand delivery! So a forced-air machine hardly seems like it should be a problem! Gotta figure out how to find someone that will write a scrip for it!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH has been using the CPAP for over a year. I admit, at first it kind of freaked me out (I called him Darth Vader
and he just wanted to show me his "light saber!
) but I got used to it very fast. Now, I find it very soothing. Now his breathing sounds like the ocean instead of a malfunctioning chain saw that keeps breaking. Sometimes I would stay awake for hours just shaking him every few minutes to remind him to breathe.

I will say he feels 100% better, more rested, more alert, more energetic, then he did before so it must be working.

As for being single and thinking it a turn off...I agree, a night without it shouldn't hurt you, but if it's going to be a constant thing you need to let whoever it is know that you NEED this on a daily basis to function.

As for the cats...that depends on your cats. We only let 2 in our bedroom and they don't bother it at all, but they are older. Of course, they had to sniff it, inspect it, approve of it, etc. But they don't mess with it when DH puts it on. No one has really tried to play with it, but we keep it drapped over the headboard so it's hard to get to.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

This is the mask I use and I even convinced my mother to give it a try and she loves it.

That looks interesting, I might have to give that a go - my mask feels so big and clunky.

I have been having problems with wearing my mask lately, and have been exhausted. Due to that and various other things, I've been having 2 hour "naps" in the middle of the day! I managed to wear my CPAP for maybe 2-3 hours last night, and felt sooooo much better today - no nap needed! Just a couple of hours of quality sleep makes such a difference.

It amazes me what a difference it makes.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

I too worried about the mask and how it looks. 7 months later I could care less!!! I love feeling like I had a good night sleep!
Even my DH doesn't mind the mask.
He hated when I would stop breathing and gasping for air. I guess I scared him a few too many times.

That is the kind of mask DH uses. Well, I guess it's not really a mask, more just a nose piece. It took a night or two for him to get used to it, but now he's fine with it. I even tried it one night just to see what it feels like, and it's not bad. Aside from having irritated nostrils sometimes (mainly in winter) he really likes it. He had the option after a year to go to the full mask and decided against it. I just think that would be too bulky and akward to sleep in.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

(I called him Darth Vader
and he just wanted to show me his "light saber!
) but I got used to it very fast. Now, I find it very soothing. Now his breathing sounds like the ocean instead of a malfunctioning chain saw that keeps breaking.
I shouldn't have read that while drinking...
And I think you're right! A broken chainsaw would be a pretty good description of how my DH sounds some nights.

Originally Posted by LDG

So a forced-air machine hardly seems like it should be a problem! Gotta figure out how to find someone that will write a scrip for it!
Keep trying.
Surely you have one doctor in the bunch that'll listen... or that you can twist their arm until they agree with you.

BTW: cpap masks wear out and need to be replaced occasionally.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

You mean like something that monitors you while you sleep? Really? I haven't heard of ANY options like that! He's been to two different "sleep" doctors around here - and everyone refuses to do anything without the study!

And I am POSITIVE the lack of sleep is contributing to all kinds of problems! His immune system is shot and he gets sick all the time.
...he's able to get a scrip for oxygen - he gets huge tanks with on demand delivery! So a forced-air machine hardly seems like it should be a problem! Gotta figure out how to find someone that will write a scrip for it!
Actually, when DH went to the sleep clinic, he was worried about not being able to sleep too. They told him after a few tries if he still couldn't sleep they could come and set up the equipment at home so he could sleep in his own bed to get the readings. They realized not everyone can sleep in a strange bed. But, they did insist he do the sleep clinic first, and luckily he was able to sleep (with multiple things stuck to his head and chest...don't know how he did it!).

Maybe some do offer one to take home with you. It can't be that hard to stick a few things to your chest and go to sleep and let the machine take the readings. Might be something to look in to.