Worried about the little girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pink was born bigger then Mango but she's now SIGNIFICANTLY smaller then her brother (like almost half the size :S). She's maturing properly but just doesn't seem to have the mass. With only two kittens there is no way she's not getting enough food from mom.

They do have dry food all the time now too & she got wet today too but I think mom ate most of it.

Any suggestions?
Ideas?

She seems healthy if not a little quieter then Mango.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suppose you do weigh them now and then (preferably every day). Does she gain weigh?
If she gains weigh it is probably OK after all. She will perhaps be a rather small she-cat, like many she-cats are.

kitkat5505

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Of my 4 kittens, the 1 boy is practically double the size of the 3 girls. Don't know how normal that is, but they all seem to be fine so I haven't worried about it.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
old kittens, Fetty and Bubblelicious (Bubble for short) are so different in size. Fetty the male is almost twice the size of Bub. She is well proportioned, just a dainty female. I wouldn't worry as long as she is eating and acting normal. Girls are smaller than boys in may instances.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's probably what it is!

She's just a little fur-ball too so she doesn't look so small until you wet her down!
I think she's going to be a medium-long hair.

Thanks guys, I'll weigh her to make sure she's gaining but that really settles my fears she wasn't doing well

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nope there is something wrong. She's definitely getting lighter. I know you can normally feel kitten's ribs, but hers are protruding too much.

What can I give her? They got wet food last night but she wasn't interested (which is funny because she was the one chowing down on it at 2/3 weeks!!). KMR?? Is there any point she's getting milk from mom?

What else can I give her that is nice and fattening?

She is NOT dehydrated or she'd be on her way to the vet. Both kittens are certainly producing enough yellow-ish poop

I'd like to deworm her, what about dio-earth because that will be gentle on her system? How young can I use that? They are almost 5 weeks now.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really know, but if she was eating well, and now she is not interested, I would take her in to the vet. At that age, they can't afford to loose too much weight. I don't know much about worming or diamaceous (sp?) earth. But to put my mind at rest I would consider taking her in. for all.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'm a bit of a worry wart though

I went upstairs right after I wrote that and she's got Mango pinned

I just need to get her eating something & I won't have to worry!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know - I think I'd still call the vet - maybe they could suggest both some food and some de-worming options. But, hope she's actually started chowing down like wild by now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. If you do afford, do go to the vet with her. Or at least, do phone. Asap.

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

if she's loosing weight go to a vet asap, little kittens don't have the reserves and if somethings wrong you have no time to loose at all. By time she's showing signs of weakness in addition to the weight loss it may be too late to do much against it.

She could be harbouring an infection, in which case she would need antibiotics asap.

regards,

christine

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she's actually losing weight I'd deff, at least, call the vet. Could be worms or a few other things. Hopefully it's nothing serious but better safe than sorry, at least they could direct you in the right path. Good luck!

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You guys are right.

I'm going to weigh her tonight (bought a new kitchen scale) and I got some really tasty treats at the grocery store (like those pouches of wet food I swore I'd never buy!!!).

If I can't get her to eat or she weighs even a gram less tomorrow she's going to vet! She's definitely alert & happy she's been wrestling with Mango all day

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's 200 little grams. She was 202 this morning. I'll weigh her again tonight.

I couldn't possibly tell you how big Mango is, it's hard enough just weighing Pink and she'll actually sit still

I didn't see her eat any of the wet food at all (I tried to hand-feed it to her but no interest), although she certainly got lots of milk from mom. Where as her brother is now chowing down on dry food.
I know every kitten is different but originally it was pink that was eating all the real food and Mango that wouldn't try it. I guess it's just like human babies, sometimes they try new food then decide they like mom's milk better.

I'm probably worrying about nothing at all!
Just the size difference is UNBELIVABLE. If there were more kittens and they were all different sizes I think it would be easier to accept, but there are only 2 and one is giant and one is tiny!

On another note... hubby asked me last night how young we should get Mango fixed

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kittens can't usually have a pediatric spay until they are at least 2 lbs. (i don't know what the conversion in to grams) The weight may go up or down a little just by when they last ate and whether or not they've had a bowel movement. If you suspect worms, most vets will allow you to come in without the kitten to pick up some Strongid wormer. It clears up most roundworms and whipworms and is safe to use in kittens. It's easy to give in liquid form. If nothing else, it won't hurt, and might even help.

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nes

She's 200 little grams. She was 202 this morning. I'll weigh her again tonight.

I couldn't possibly tell you how big Mango is, it's hard enough just weighing Pink and she'll actually sit still

I didn't see her eat any of the wet food at all (I tried to hand-feed it to her but no interest), although she certainly got lots of milk from mom. Where as her brother is now chowing down on dry food.
I know every kitten is different but originally it was pink that was eating all the real food and Mango that wouldn't try it. I guess it's just like human babies, sometimes they try new food then decide they like mom's milk better.

I'm probably worrying about nothing at all!
Just the size difference is UNBELIVABLE. If there were more kittens and they were all different sizes I think it would be easier to accept, but there are only 2 and one is giant and one is tiny!
Um,

200 grams? Really? You haven't made a mistake weighing her?

A kitten should weigh between 80 and 120 g at birth and then gain circa 10 g per day, if your other kittens are trying out solid food they must be at least 3-4 weeks old. Was she much smaller at birth or did she not keep up with her growth (in comparison to her siblings?)

How do you know she's getting enough milk from mom? You should seriously consider bottle feeding her in addition if she doesn't gain weight.

Originally Posted by SamhainBorn

Kittens can't usually have a pediatric spay until they are at least 2 lbs. (i don't know what the conversion in to grams) The weight may go up or down a little just by when they last ate and whether or not they've had a bowel movement. If you suspect worms, most vets will allow you to come in without the kitten to pick up some Strongid wormer. It clears up most roundworms and whipworms and is safe to use in kittens. It's easy to give in liquid form. If nothing else, it won't hurt, and might even help.
Quite frankly with such an underweight kitty I wouldn't deworm her without the vet checking her out first.

regards,

christine

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a mother (a rescue) cat who is nursing kittens, they are 3 weeks old today. There were 9 kittens total, 2 have died, and I am bottle feeding one ( These ones were much smaller than the others, and listless) The vet gave me an antibiotic, some immunity booster (a vitamin) and told me to watch for them being dehydrated, or lethargic. As of now they all seem to be doing well. The one I am bottle feeding, is slowly catching up. He was on the brink of death. So we named him Warrior, because he is a fighter. I will post pics when I get the chance.

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmamiof4

I have a mother (a rescue) cat who is nursing kittens, they are 3 weeks old today. There were 9 kittens total, 2 have died, and I am bottle feeding one ( These ones were much smaller than the others, and listless) The vet gave me an antibiotic, some immunity booster (a vitamin) and told me to watch for them being dehydrated, or lethargic. As of now they all seem to be doing well. The one I am bottle feeding, is slowly catching up. He was on the brink of death. So we named him Warrior, because he is a fighter. I will post pics when I get the chance.
... you seem to have a good vet who's given antibiotics strait away to try to save them.

Good luck with your little fighter

regards,

christine

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cjh27

Um,

200 grams? Really? You haven't made a mistake weighing her?

Yes it's quite possible I made a mistake weighing her! I had to put her on a pie plate on a small digital scale. If that seems so off I can try again (maybe I read it wrong and it's not set to grams??)

I will try again!!

I don't suspect worms at all, I haven't seen any, just if your cat isn't gaining weight, you worm.

I'm POSITIVE she's getting milk, she little nose is all dirty and I've seen her feeding off mom & clearly getting something in her belly.

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At nearly 4-5 weeks old she SHOULD weigh about 368-453grams (13ozs-1lb) so she's deffinately WAY under weight (weighing about what a 2 week old kitten would weigh) and I'd call the vet right away. Could be something simple as worms but, as I said before, better safe than sorry.

Here's some sites I used to do the conversions and a table of what they "should" weigh
http://www.metric-conversions.org/do...calculator.htm (at the bottom where it says weight)

and here's the weight chart
http://www.kitten-rescue.com/bottle_feeding_kitten.html

Good luck and I hope that everything is ok with Pink.

Status
Not open for further replies.