Grace the feral left Chester her baby...

mtbee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Grace is a feral Mom. 10 weeks ago she gave birth to 3 kitties. 2 calico's and Chester a white tiger baby. We caught the 2 callies and found them homes. Chester got away. I think ok = Grace needs company as the other feral's but Mom's kid Khloe(this is Graces mom who disappeared) are gone.

Grace has been a great mom to Chester and also taking Khloe as her own but as of late Grace left Chester in our barn (shelter, food, cat beds etc) and Grace hangs out in the barn across the street with Khloe. She came into our barn yesterday for a bite to eat, totally ignored Chester and after eating left. This little guy is so sad! Grace use to play with him, he seemed like a happy kitty!

Does anyone know why Grace would just tell him to stay in the barn and don't go anywhere? Chester can leave the barn to be with Grace but he will not leave the barn where his stall is. He has not been outside in 3 days and he certainly has access to go outside. (It's an active horse farm).

I feel like Grace said your on your own Son.
I feel like I want to trap him. Think he would be ok if I did that? He is feral and 10 weeks old aready. He is such a cute white tiger!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not clear on what you're asking - he's defnitely old enough and probably heavy enough to be neutered, though some vets not familiar with early-age neutering won't do it, most clinics will. If you're asking if he'd make a good pet - the answer is he is most certainly young enough to be socialized!
You can socialize ferals up to three years old - after that it's just not fair to them. The older they get the harder it can be - but as he's had no negative experiences with humans and is still very much a baby, it shouldn't be a problem at all! I mean - don't expect him to be happy overnight or anything - but if you want to adopt him or foster him to adopt him out, we have lots of socialization tips if you're not already familiar.

...and while it's a little early for mum to be pushing him away - they usually do that around 12 weeks - she may very well be telling him he's on his own now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mtbee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks LGD, it makes me sad that Grace is pushing him away. He looks so small and unable to thrive without his momma.

I am going to Hav-a-heart trap him, take him to the vet for testing and then just bring him home with me. I have 4 now and 3 of them after 4 years are still feral to outside people. They were trapped at 5 weeks old .... I am just worried that Chester would be like this for life.

Grr, still I am mad as heck at Grace! My next question would be could it be that Grace has kittens somewhere and that's why she is not putting time into Chester? She had him 12 weeks ago, could she have had another litter already?

I get so confused with what these ferals kitties are up to!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a good chance that Grace has a new family somewhere else. My dad has a feral that had 2 kittens and then she got preggers & now has five more
She was still nursing the older ones, and didn't "show", so imagine our dismay when she had the new litter
We were waiting for her to wean the older ones before we got her spayed - big, big OOPS!!! She didn't even "act" in season like she did before

catsincrisis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess you have to be clear about whether you want him to be cared for, but semiferal,or that you want to bring him in and socialize him. It is tricky when they become a house cat but no longer would care to live in a barn or colony. Jackson was tiny, but he has trouble moving completely into our world,he has his genes. I guess Iam dealing with some of the same issues, andwhat happens if you are placing them.
Sandy

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought my Beeba in at abot 12 weeks. He was born in the wild and sadly we lost his mom Spot to illness a couple of months after we brought them in. With Spot around, she kept Beeba pretty close to her. After she passed, he came around very quickly and is now the most loving cat I have ever had! He is still young enough to form a bond with you. You have a great
to take this little lonely boy in.

mtbee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well the trap is set, hopefully Chester takes a walk in to it
He is still hanging out in his stall this morning when I fed the horses. He eats well and all just seems lonely. I hope to catch him. Farley V, thanks for your comment. I just love every single cat in the world but alway felt the barn kitties were ok in their environment until now seeing Chester alone. It's odd, the ferals of the past would roam around the property. This little man stays in the barn, never to leave. I think he's scared to. At least he has shelter, food and a donkey
to hang out with!

Wish me luck on catching hiM!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The youngest feral we rescued/adopted was 10 weeks (Lazlo). Shelly was 12 weeks. Spooky was 8 months, Tuxedo was about a year... Ming Loy was about 2 months, and Flowerbelle is different, because she was in the hospital about a month before she came home, so she was just glad to be out of there.

But plenty of DSH kitties that were accidentally bred because of irresponsible pet owners are skittish and shy - and plenty of kitties born and raised by feral moms turn out to be the most loving pets ever. So yes, we can say we're dealing with "genes" - it has really nothing to do with whether those genes come from a kitty that was a feral mom or not.

Did that make sense?

for trapping Chester.

When he comes home, release him into his "own" room. He'll need the space and time to adjust to being inside - and a slow introduction to the other cats will help diffuse territory issues.

I have to run for work-related reasons, but if you conduct an advanced search of this particular forum and use the search terms

social* AND time and search for posts by LDG (me) - mixed in there will be some really detailed posts about socializing scared kitties.

Here's a great article: http://www.straypetadvocacy.org/html...feral_cat.html

...and stickied up at the top of this forum is a thread about Socializing Lucky - it's a long read about socializing a 6-month old rescued feral that was scared of people, but it has lots of good info and shows you that with a 10-month old kitty that has had no negative experience with people things should go just great!

...and plans to get the mum spayed? Does she come regularly for food? If so, she'd probably bring her new litter (if there is one) when they're around 4 - 5 weeks. But sounds like you've got more trapping on your hands if you want to stop the baby cycle!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK MTBee, here come the vibes I bet you get him sooner than you expect. Let us know asap!

mtbee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No luck last night
and I do not want to leave the trap over night (from 9PM to 6AM) because incase he is trapped I really do not want him trapped all night he would be terrified!

He was there awaiting his fancy feast chicken breakfast this morning... he said hey there, I say hey chester... he knows my voice ... I go Come on baby Chester time to eat... and he pops out of the wall (he hides behind a wall at times). So, I will try again tonight. And, I will catch him.

A run down on Mom cat (Not Grace, she is Mom cat's first kid). No, she is not a frequenter of the barn and actually I have not seen her in a long time now.

She had a first set of cat with Pop cat (he has a broken foot and has been around the barn for 10 years, way before Mom was dumped off, she actually had a pink collar on her but still, untouchable!) There were 4 kittens, Pinnihus, Cole, Grace and a Black cat. We trapped none of them and they all left except for Grace - she always stayed in the stall where Chester is now.

Then came litter #2 - Mom and Pop again, 5 beautiful white, toasted almond color and yes, another Black and B&W came, they were all trapped and found homes.

Litter #3 Mom and Pop. Mom had two babies a grey and white and a black and white... Mom took off, Grey & White stayed ... B&W left with Mom. Grey and white is still at the barn, her name is Khloe.

And, sweet little Gracie... An orange Tiger came around for a short stint, "dated" Grace and here comes 3 babies! 2 Calico's and Chester the white baby tiger! The Calli's were caught at 5 weeks old and have great homes.

Pheewwww, so that only leaves Grace, Pop (yes he is a lifer at the barn, even though he only comes and goes) Baby Chester and Khloe.

So good vibes on me catching Chester. I never worried about the babies of the barn before. I did worry about having a kitty mill but it never happened, never will either as we catch who we can and the rest just leave!

Here's to Catching the baby white tiger kitty~!

buehler740

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thats pretty much it he is 10 weeks old and all parents make them learn on their own so they dont become depandant, best thing is to get that kittie used to you , he has what he needs and the parents make them learn on their own and they ignor them so they will do so , its normal even indoor kitties that have kids push them away so they will become independant , get him used to you and even used to you enough to maybe find that one a home to

Originally Posted by MTBee

Grace is a feral Mom. 10 weeks ago she gave birth to 3 kitties. 2 calico's and Chester a white tiger baby. We caught the 2 callies and found them homes. Chester got away. I think ok = Grace needs company as the other feral's but Mom's kid Khloe(this is Graces mom who disappeared) are gone.

Grace has been a great mom to Chester and also taking Khloe as her own but as of late Grace left Chester in our barn (shelter, food, cat beds etc) and Grace hangs out in the barn across the street with Khloe. She came into our barn yesterday for a bite to eat, totally ignored Chester and after eating left. This little guy is so sad! Grace use to play with him, he seemed like a happy kitty!

Does anyone know why Grace would just tell him to stay in the barn and don't go anywhere? Chester can leave the barn to be with Grace but he will not leave the barn where his stall is. He has not been outside in 3 days and he certainly has access to go outside. (It's an active horse farm).

I feel like Grace said your on your own Son.
I feel like I want to trap him. Think he would be ok if I did that? He is feral and 10 weeks old aready. He is such a cute white tiger!