Approximately 1 week old kittens.

jesb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So ... we've had these guys since ... maybe a day after they were born ...

My friend called me and said 'if you don't come get these kittens, my boss is going to kill them'..

She neglected to say how young they were ...

Either way, we brought all 5 home. We've since lost one ... but ... he was the runt ...

At first all we had was goats milk and pedialyte ... the next day, they got put on Just Born ... Now I have them on the 'kitten glop' and Just Born ... right now ... about half and half ...

One of my friends should be giving us 2 cans of KMR today, as our vet was out, but hers was not.

Everyone is doing good, we've got bowel movements from everyone almost every day, although one had to have an enema at day 3. I can still feel ribs on everyone, which is why I added the gloop, hoping to pudge everyone up a bit.

My only real question is ... is it still common to have round (out the sides) bellies, even while pottying regularly?

We've got two with large bellies, one had a poo this morning, but his belly is still big (this is the one that had to have an enema). We've been dealing with a bit of constipation (pooing ... but rather thick).

I stopped giving pedialyte yesterday, and have seen a drop of in urine, so ... we're sticking everyone back on 3mls of it every feeding as I like hydrated babies.

Also, if I put them in a box with a heating pad, and cover them, and 2 move out from under the covers and lay on top, and two don't ... are the two coming out just too warm for their own comfort, and the two that are staying under comfy??

Its the smaller two staying under, and the larger two coming up.

Thanks!!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jesb

My only real question is ... is it still common to have round (out the sides) bellies, even while pottying regularly?

We've got two with large bellies, one had a poo this morning, but his belly is still big (this is the one that had to have an enema). We've been dealing with a bit of constipation (pooing ... but rather thick).

I stopped giving pedialyte yesterday, and have seen a drop of in urine, so ... we're sticking everyone back on 3mls of it every feeding as I like hydrated babies.

Also, if I put them in a box with a heating pad, and cover them, and 2 move out from under the covers and lay on top, and two don't ... are the two coming out just too warm for their own comfort, and the two that are staying under comfy??

Its the smaller two staying under, and the larger two coming up.

Thanks!!
Be very careful of the heating pads. I used a large sock full of rice and just reheated it in the microwave every few hours.

As far as the round little belly goes, as long as they are eating and eliminating they should be fine.

I raised a single orphan kitten over the summer and he constantly had a round little tummy. He would poo every other day. I read that sometimes kittens don't poo every day. So don't panic over that.

Here is my thread.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199504

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jesb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I keep an eye on the temp of the heating pad, and they're never home alone.

we have rice bags, but they don't stay warm for any amount of time ... :-/

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, you're such a sweetheart for helping these babies! Do you have any idea what happened to the mom?

As for the bellies, I agree as long as they are eating and pooping/peeing they are fine. Most of that will be worked of as they grow.

Be VERY careful of the heating pad. If you use it, make sure you have towels on top so they don't get burned. One thing my MIL does when she finds an abandonded barn cat that young is put it in a child's sock, kind of like it's own little sleeping bag. You may want to try that with the littlest ones for a few nights (don't leave them in there all the time of course...just to warm up).

Good luck! It sounds like you're in for the long haul. It's a lot of work raising kittens, but SO worth it! Keep us updated.

jesb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea ... they're starting to open they're eyes and everything now!!

Everyone is doing great now ... they're purrring when we touch them and allll that.

And yes, I cover the heating pad well ... I've got a towel on it, and it's wrapped in a couple t shirts too. We're feeding every two hours during the day, and trying for 2 every night. Some times, if they aren't awake when I wake up in 2 hours, I'll let them go for another hour, go back to sleep, and then get them all fed, more often then not I stilllll have to wake them up in the night.

Silllllly heffers!

jesb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry ... everyone is doing well ... except ... the first saturday we lost one ...

the 4 left are good ... but lately ones urine has been smelling HORRIBLE ...

as in smelling like an old porta-john does ...

He's acting fine ... with no fever ... eats ... plays ... I've been having constipation issues, and have started adding mineral oil to the mix.

He still peeees like its his job ... it just smellllls baaad ... I'm thinking I'm going to flush out his system with a mix of mostly pedialyte and a little formula tomorrow ... after I go get some plaaaain stuff ... hopefully after a day of that ... he won't stink ... if not ... vetttt calll!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PLEASE do not use Pedialyte without your vet knowing first and okaying it. It is for HUMAN babies, and some kittens cannot absorb all the minerals inside of it and come out the worst for it.

jesb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet did say to pedialyte them when they had diarhea ... but also said I could use water ... so ... for now ... we water! lol

jesb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sooo ... I have a bunch of pics of these guys now ... but I'll only post a few!

Here's an upside down Caleb ... he likes this!

Here's me and them!

Nappy time!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bottle raising kittens is such a strenuous and heart-breaking job, you should be very proud of yourselves!

jesb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea ... we lost one the first weekend ... *sad face* ... but everyone else is soooo big and strong now ... I know we aren't out of the woods yet ... but we're pretty daaaarned close!!!!!

they'll be roughly 4 weeks old tomorrow!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a cute picture of nappy time! Roughly 4 weeks....yeah, you're going to have your hands full soon. Don't feel about about losing one. Sometimes, especially with bigger litters, one just can't be saved. Glad to hear the rest are going great. Keep us up to date with all their kitten antics (and there WILL be a lot!)

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jesb

Sooo ... I have a bunch of pics of these guys now ... but I'll only post a few!

Here's an upside down Caleb ... he likes this!

Here's me and them!
Is that Red on Caleb? Are you sure he is a he?

jesb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Red?? where? annnd he's most definately a big ... boy lol

jesb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahhhh! Gotchya ... No matter how I try, some times they are just brownish. We've tried baby wipes ... actually baths ... Rub downs with wet towels. He's just rusty some times. IDK why ... the vet didn't seem to think anything of it. He is definately a boy tho. :p

Side note ... All but Beast are eating off of plates. And almost anything I give them. Pork, chicken, broth ... goats milk ... bread soaked in goats milk ... and even kitten food allll soaked to softness. Beast ... she's stubborn ... what a brat! lol ... nooow for potty training!

jesb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, here's some more pictures.

A few weeks ago, I got a picture of the 2 we're keeping. I guess I never posted it.

Sebastian and Mittens!

And, 2 weeks ago I got a couple more good shots of the babies!

Here is the stubborn Beast (last one to finally give up on the bottle) saying "DO NOT WANT THAT. .. DO WANT MILLLLKIES!"

(pay no attention to the slice in there, I was eating one, and it sent their little noses into a sniff fit, so I gave them a piece to sniff!)

annnd here we have Mittens in the front, Caleb in the back.
Mittens says "Imma poly...whaaat?"