or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Breaking Mews › Same-sex relationships from a financial point of view
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Same-sex relationships from a financial point of view

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
The High Price of Being a Gay Couple

Quote:
Much of the debate over legalizing gay marriage has focused on God and Scripture, the Constitution and equal protection.
But we see the world through the prism of money. And for years, we’ve heard from gay couples about all the extra health, legal and other costs they bear. So we set out to determine what they were and to come up with a round number — a couple’s lifetime cost of being gay. ... Here is what we came up with. In our worst case, the couple’s lifetime cost of being gay was $467,562. But the number fell to $41,196 in the best case for a couple with significantly better health insurance, plus lower taxes and other costs.
post #2 of 12
That's a heck of a lot cheaper than raising a kid, which is an expense that gay couples are protected from (unless they actually seek it out) by the fact that the biology just doesn't work that way.
post #3 of 12
How is that any different than the cost of being a straight couple? (without kids)
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
A straight couple has the option of reducing their overall costs of living by legally marrying.
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrillblaiddes View Post
That's a heck of a lot cheaper than raising a kid, which is an expense that gay couples are protected from (unless they actually seek it out) by the fact that the biology just doesn't work that way.
Um, straight couples are not required to have children... Maybe I'm misreading what you said, but many gay people want to have a family much like many straight couples want to have a family. They are not "protected" or "immune" from the desire to have children anymore than anyone else, just like I am not obligated to have children because I'm in a "biologically appropriate" relationship. I don't really see your point regarding the cost of gay couples not being allowed to marry. As a straight person I am able to marry my partner to reduce expenses. I would not have that option as a gay person.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
A straight couple has the option of reducing their overall costs of living by legally marrying.

I guess I just don't understand what all happens when you get married.

I know that right now in my straight relationship we have a hard time surviving.


I thought gay's could get married now anyways? In some states?
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteforest View Post
Um, straight couples are not required to have children... Maybe I'm misreading what you said, but many gay people want to have a family much like many straight couples want to have a family. They are not "protected" or "immune" from the desire to have children anymore than anyone else, just like I am not obligated to have children because I'm in a "biologically appropriate" relationship. I don't really see your point regarding the cost of gay couples not being allowed to marry. As a straight person I am able to marry my partner to reduce expenses. I would not have that option as a gay person.
What I mean is, gay couples only have children if they specifically want them, because it requires a lot of legal or medical backflips (adoption, surrogacy, etc.). Straight couples sometimes end up with a kid whether they planned one or not. A gay couple living paycheck-to-paycheck is in a little bit better financial situation than a straight couple living paycheck-to-paycheck just because the gay couple knows for sure that they aren't going to have to deal with expenses brought on by an unplanned pregnancy.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomania View Post
I guess I just don't understand what all happens when you get married.
There are tax and insurance benefits to being married vs. just living together.
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrillblaiddes View Post
There are tax and insurance benefits to being married vs. just living together.
I always thought that getting married meant you sign a piece of paper that says he now owns half of your stuff.
post #10 of 12
Up here you just have live together for 6 months to get half his stuff

Those laws were written with good intensions but some real stupidity.

However I'm not so sure about those differences between being married vs. just living together, however I will confer with my Tax Lawyer (a.k.a. father). CL-hubby & I file jointly so it's pretty much the same .
post #11 of 12
Yep, consulted with my Tax Lawyer and in Canada there is NO difference if you're common-law or married even.
post #12 of 12
Straight: You can get tax breaks, deductions, claim as head of household, for example; insurance: benefits as family. Gay: none of that. Health insurance alone would be MUCH more expensive if you pay both policies in separate. Taxes, big difference when you can not claim the deductions, especially head of household. Yes, it does make a big difference... There is no commom-law for gays, where marriage is not legalized. So that wouldn't apply either - they would simply be roommates.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breaking Mews
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Breaking Mews › Same-sex relationships from a financial point of view