We just moved, Izzy ran away, please help

bunnybee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I just moved with my 2 cats from Durango to Carbondale Colorado (5 hour drive). Izzy, who has only lived in Durango, and is a big outdoor kitty, (I bring him in at night), went outside in the backyard of the new home yesterday. A neighbor dog spooked him and he jumped the fence into the field. The grass is so high, I couldnt see which way he went, but am pretty sure of the general direction, an area with tall grasses, and a forest nearby, some very small streams. He has a microchip, but no collar. He has claws, and is a good mouser/bird catcher. Izzy is huge, and quite tough, our old neighbors called him "Chuck Norris"

I'm a wreck. This is what I have done: Call him almost every hour, in the field and in the small neighborhood (15 homes)we live in, called the local shelter, called the local public radio station. Put up fliers at the mailboxes for this neighborhood and nearby small grocery. Talked to several neighbors this morning.

Do you think there is a chance he can make his way back, even though this is his first time venturing into this field, and we are in a new home? Do you think that he possibly can here me calling him but is spooked? I am just looking for some hope please! Also, is there anything else I should be doing? This sounds weird, but when I was calling him in the field/forest, I was hot and sweaty, and rubbed some of my sweat on the fallen logs hoping that he can smell me.

(Also, the neighbors said no coyotes are around but we do have owls.)

Please say a prayer for Izzy! And I would love to hear what else I should be doing? I am such a wreck

xoxo
Heidi aka bunnybee

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers for you and Izzy - I'm sure more experienced folks will come along - I wonder if you might leave out some unwashed tee-shirts of your and your family around your house and yard, just like you did while you were searching. And keep sitting out there calling him - some cats do get scared even when they can see you.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am praying for you and for Izzy. It is my hope he is just scared and stilll nearby and that he will find his way back home. Is there any way that you can contact friends from your old home to keep an eye out for him? I recently moved a cat from one place to another, and he ran away twice and went back to the original place. I was a wreck also, so I do know how you feel. Five hours is a long way but I have heard some amazing stories about cats returning to their homes from long distances. Please keep updating, I will be thinking of Izzy and hoping you find him very soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunnybee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by KRZ

I am praying for you and for Izzy. It is my hope he is just scared and stilll nearby and that he will find his way back home. Is there any way that you can contact friends from your old home to keep an eye out for him? I recently moved a cat from one place to another, and he ran away twice and went back to the original place. I was a wreck also, so I do know how you feel. Five hours is a long way but I have heard some amazing stories about cats returning to their homes from long distances. Please keep updating, I will be thinking of Izzy and hoping you find him very soon.
Oh Darlili,

Thank you so much for your thoughts and your prayers. I keep reading the stories about cats coming home, trying to stay positive. I promise to update.

bless you,
Heidi

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What does he normally eat? Try putting out some wet food for him, something with a really strong meaty or fishy smell. Tuna fish is good if he likes that. Others have suggested KFC chicken, original recipe. Put the food in a dish close to the house so he has to come to you to get it.
that he finds his way home soon.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I can't imagine how you feel. I have heard that cats will stay within a very short distance of where they live. Of course, you have the problem with just having moved there. I would not worry too much about owls. You say your cat is large. I don't think an owl would want to tangle with that large an animal. I once saw on television a blood hound and her owner who look for lost pets. They had a very good record of finding them. And again, they were in very close proximity to their homes. Usually there are blood hound owners who work with the police. I wonder if they moonlight? Just a thought. I sure hope your Izzy comes home.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Farleyv, the reference in cats not going far from home is to indoor cats that escape outside but have never been out - or have infrequently been out. They hide because they're scared. Cats that are used to being outdoors play by different rules.

Heidi - I'm so sorry.

When you find him, he needs to be kept indoors for about a month - and then he should be outside only when supervised initially. He needs the time to adjust to learn that this new place is "home."

If you have uncleaned litter boxes, set them outside.

Put out really stinky food at dusk and dawn or after dark when he'd feel most comfortable moving around. If you've got a pet bed that has his smell on it, put it outside somewhere close to food he loves.

I would add driving to local vets and putting up posters there.

Indoor cats are usually too scared to come when called - he may be different. Get familiar scents out, sit in a chair and talk out loud - let him (if he's in range) hear your voice and smell those scents.

...and just keep searching.

Izzy come home!