Panic stricken cat

denizli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a two yr old cat who is suddenly waking up in a panic, racing round the room looking terrified. He is twiching with saliva coming from his mouth & I have to hold him firmly to stop him harming himself. After about a minute he calms down & although a little sheepish seems fine. The vet doesn,t seem to think it's a problem but I hate to see him in this state.
Has anyone else seen this happen??

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds like seizures or Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1998

I don't like your vet's attitude. I suggest you find another vet. Video tape some episodes to help in diagnosis.

How often is it happening?

I understand your fear, when Tolly's seizures (very similar to what you describe) started I was out of my mind with worry.He's been on phenobarbital for almost 8 years now. No episodes in over 5 years (took time to find the right dose)

His started when he was 3, he would run around frantically chasing an invisible bug, and was unable to stop or interrupt. He would bite himself, bite the floor shake his head.

Each cat presents differently, but you need a vet who is willing to explore all options and keep an open mind, not dismiss your concerns so quickly.

What's your boy's name? Welcome to the forum and please keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denizli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats name is Marvis pronounced (Marvish) he has a brother Kinali pronounced (Kenela)
They started on Thursday when he had two both while sleeping about 6 hours apart. Yesterday he was fine but he had another this afternoon. I was wondering if he was having nightmares as he seems fine afterwards but I am worried. It did look like a bit of a fit after the fear stage.
Thanks for your help.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he will seem fine after a seizure. maybe a little bit more loving, or hungry. this sounds like seizures to me.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!! I agree with Otto. If your vet won't take it seriously, find another one! It's like cat epilepsy. What doctor wouldn't take that seriously?

denizli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I will take him back to the vets but if he does not check him out properly I'll try & find another vet. The problem is that I am in a foreign country & don't speak the language so my wife has to do it all but it just makes me more worried when I can't explain what is wrong.
Thanks again.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by denizli

Thanks for the reply. I will take him back to the vets but if he does not check him out properly I'll try & find another vet. The problem is that I am in a foreign country & don't speak the language so my wife has to do it all but it just makes me more worried when I can't explain what is wrong.
Thanks again.
Hmm...yes I can see that being in a foreign country with a language barrier could cause problems. Since you live there now though, you certainly want to find a vet you feel comfortable with, and trust. Can't your wife act as interpreter?

Can you video tape a few episodes to show the vet? Also keep a journal and record each episode, and what was happening at the time, so if there is a pattern you will see it.

Keep us posted on Marvis!

denizli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for your advise. I have had the vet here again today as the poor little mite is averaging 2 to 3 a day at the moment. I have given him all the details & he has given me some jel to give him to calm him down for a few days.
I have the camera at the ready & just hope the wife can stop crying enough to use it. I keep hold of him & make sure that he does not bang his head to much.
I stay with him all night & catch some sleep in the mornings but hopefully we will sort him soon.

Thanks again for your support.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of gel? If this is seizures, neurological in nature, he will need strong medicine to control them.

Phenobarbital is usually the most common prescribed medication to control seizures in cats. My Tolly has been on phenobarbital for almost 8 years now.

It takes time to find the lowest possible dose to control break through seizures. It took about 18 months, very gradually raising the dose, until he was on a dose that kept him seizure free. I then lowered the dose slightly, to see if he could have less.

He has now been on 18.25 milligrams a day for over 5 years and seizure free for almost 6 years. He takes 11.25 mg in the morning and 7.5 mg in the evening. he gets bloodwork once a year to check organ function and phenobarbital levels.

Another option is potassium bromide which does not have the same effect on the liver, but I don't know much about it, never having used it.

Please keep us updated on your Marvis.

denizli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They call it Sedapet oral gel which he wants me to give him for 3 days to see if he calms down.
I don't think he beleives that they are fits that he is having but they certainly are to me.
He has just had another one but my wife was not here to film it & I was to busy holding him safe.