When did you start buying baby things?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question for everyone!

Did you start buying baby things for your self before you got pregnant? Or after you got pregnant?

and I want to know the explanation why you chose that way!

Thank you

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not until after I was pregnant and even then not until I was in the second trimester. I just thought it was bad luck

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I plan on waiting until I know what I'm having.. cuz... well I want to buy the right stuff... I am going to go get a Snoogle today though, i'm having a hard time sleeping already, lol. But I guess thats not really for the baby... huh?

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
3 months is supposed to be the bad-luck cut off.

I started knitting his baby blanket at about 2 months I think, waaaay too excited!!

Ask friends & family for hand-me-downs you won't regret it! Kids go through and incredible amount of clothing & new stuff is SO expensive!! Even if all of the hand-me-downs aren't in the best condition, my son as a whole pile of "dirt shirts" for playing in the garden in.

Plus I got things like brand-spankin' new cloth diapers that I love & never would have bought for myself but now use ALL the time on my little guy

That being said, run out & get summer clothes RIGHT NOW (Ooops - Australia, I guess winter clothes
) while they are on sale. Then wait until after Christams, everything goes up before christmas

There really is nothing wrong with buying before you got pregnant or in your first 3 months!!

We have so many hand-me-down clothes I still have a bunch of stuff that is brand new that Lucas never got to wear so I haven't bought a single thing for the new little one (although gramma told me she did get him a few sleepers, apparently she forgot I have like 20+!!! I know, I know, they are too cute...). I'm a really bad mommy because I haven't even started on his blanket & Lucas' was long since finished by now :S. Then again we haven't really settled on a name yet.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought the basics closer to my due date and then after the babies were born I bought more specific stuff..The one thing that was specific that I bought beforehand was when I picked out their crib theme for my oldest it was Boyds Bears and my youngest it was Winnie the Pooh. But now I only buy for my friends that are having babies and I generally stick with the same things a pack of diapers, onesies and a stuffed monkey. I always stick with neutrals though because sonograms can be wrong.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once we found out the sex we went and bought a few ridiculously cute gender specific things, and we got given a lot of big things so we didn't start buying the last things until probably 5th/6th month also.

But you may want to space out the big expensive things - stroller, crib, change table etc. so you don't have a heap of big expenses at once.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

... But now I only buy for my friends that are having babies and I generally stick with the same things a pack of diapers, onesies and a stuffed monkey. I always stick with neutrals though because sonograms can be wrong.
Want to be MY friend??

For anyone buying for presents with diapers go for bigger rather then smaller. Everyone likes to give newborn diapers because they are cute
but my son grew out of clothes & diaper sizes at an INCREDIBLE rate. Get a size or two up, kids are always growing into thing

My son is 17 months in 2 year old clothes size 7 feet & 5 diapers (diapers only go up to a 6!!!). It's not that he's exceptionally big, it's that he's tall with big feet & a wide bum.

Thank goodness our friends who are giving us hand-me down have an older son!! (he's 3 1/2).

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted . I had to go pick her up with in 24 hours of the phone call. Since we had been waiting for 7 years. We had given up hope. I basically run into sears got the immediate necessaries. Then we bought everything after we got her home.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fran - did I miss something?
Or are you asking because you want to start buying things even though you're not pregnant yet?

Either way - have fun trying - or have fun shopping!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Fran - did I miss something?
Or are you asking because you want to start buying things even though you're not pregnant yet?

Either way - have fun trying - or have fun shopping!
What is going on?!

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't buy anything or get anything form friends and family until after I was about 3 months. I wouldn't recommend buying before you get pregnant in case there are complications. You really wouldn't want baby stuff starring you in the face everyday if you are having trouble. I was 16 when I got pregnant the first time. ( Yes I know ...my mistake and trust me I'm still paying for it...she's 13 now and can be a holy terror) Anywho, I got remarried about 5 years ago (I'm 30 now) and we wanted to have another baby. I came off the pills and it took us over two years to get pregnant. I did everything...temps, clomid, etc. We were going to do IUI when my husband got home from Iraq, but one week after he left I found out I was pregnant. Turns out all that stress from "trying" didn't help. We gave up trying and I quit my job...don't know which did it, but one of them worked.

I held off buying baby stuff b/c my sister had several miscarriages and I had a chemical pregnancy.

Sorry I tend to go on and on when it comes to being pregnant.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I waited until about 4months or so. I honestly don't remember but I was pregnant.

I know some people who bought stuff before getting pg when they were on sale but they were trying at the time.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom bought a couple things like a cute onesie outfit she found ridiculously cheap and a stuffed animal or two. I don't think I bought anything myself. I know my best friend found a bedding set on sale really cheap and picked that up before she was pregnant. Luckily she had a girl once she did get pregnant!

For myself I waited till I knew the gender. Then we ran right out and bought a couple outfits. I wanted to buy her her outfit to go home in myself. Mom bought her a stuffed animal when I was like 11 weeks. My Dad went and bought me a crib and changing table when I'd barely announced the pregnancy to anyone! Guess he's excited to be a Grandpa?

Ok I take it back somewhat....I did pick up a couple books with future children in mind. Does that count? I think they are both Christmas story books.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nobody has missed anything Yet!!

I am asking because, well now we arent trying but an accident is going to happen as i was taken off the pill, and am not allowed any form of hormone stuff for life. Had early signs of a stroke last week and doctors are not taking any chances.

So while my friend (she has a 5 month old now) and I were shopping i saw a pram for $15 in a very condition so i picked it up

Now each time i go shopping with her I will slowly start adding stuff to the pile, I only started collecting baby clothes neutral colours and blankets and stuff for baby showers, and i guess if i dont get pregnant in two or so years i a can always give it to someone who needs the pram

Hubby didnt mind me buying stuff already, infact he was impressed

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's so sweet of him! You seem to have such a great attitude about this.
You're going to make a great mom - so if things don't happen naturally, since you can't have any form of hormones... maybe you'd consider adopting if it came to that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have hormones... I mean i cant take anything such as the pill or any additives that will cause me to have a stroke.. I should have cleared that up!

I have been pregnant before and miscarried, this was right at the beginning of our relationship which was two years ago So we know WE CAN get pregnant its just a matter of it being healthy

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well we're all routing for you!!

I just wouldn't put the stuff out around the house, that might make you seem crazy. Unless you want to tell everyone that comes over the onsies & the pram are for the cats

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My goodness there sure are a lot of pregnant ladies on this site now!!!

We didn't buy anything until after we found out we were pregnant, but I hadn't been planning on having children, so prebuying wasn't really on my mind.

I'm sorry that you had prestroke symptoms, Fwan. That happened to my friend. She was taking Yaz and she had a mini stroke. Three months after she was off the pill she was pregnant again!

So good luck to you when you start trying. Just take care of yourself.