The Warmest adult winter boots??

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi hi!
I got a job in my field!!! I move at the end of the month. One of the unfortunate aspects is its much farther north than I am now (it will be in North Bay for all of you cannucks). I haven't bought winter boots in a long time and am looking for suggestions for the most comfortable warmest winter boots out there. I'm looking for something with a minimum rating of -40C
Thanks!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I seem to recall that LLBean had such boots. Other than them, good luck and hope your toesies stay warm!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations!

If you can make it to MEC, they have some awesome winter boots - most are intended for winter mountain climbing or trekking, but they're rated incredibly warm. I don't know if they have a store in St. Cats, but there's one in Toronto.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats on your new job!

I used to live and work in very Northwestern Ontario myself and I loved my Sorel's

Not the cutsie fashion ones but the heavy duty artic boots

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!!!

If it were me though, i wouldnt have the job i cannot stand cold!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorels are good boots. I also like smartwool socks to help the feet stay warm and dry. They make non-itchy merino wool socks that are wonderful!

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are lots of boots rated for -40 and are waterproof. Marks Workwearhouse, if you have them there, has a good line of winter boots. Probably the best are those white kneehigh skidoo style boots, as they are rated to -50. Anything rated oil patch or arctic is what you are looking for. Sorel does make something rated -40 but can't remember the model. At any rate. you want something with a removable liner and a couple of extra liners so they can dry out for a few days before you use them again. This is one instance where you do not want to go to Walmart, SUper Store, etc but to a place that deals with work wear. The two best places here are a tack shop and a privately owned workwear store. Oh and check hunting gear stores too, Remington makes warm, albeit funny looking, boots that are waterproof.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

Congrats on your new job!

I used to live and work in very Northwestern Ontario myself and I loved my Sorel's

Not the cutsie fashion ones but the heavy duty artic boots
Sorel's are awesome!

Tricia, we don't have LL Bean in Canada although we do have access to Land's End via online shopping. Personally I would not buy clothing/shoes online - I need to try stuff on to be sure it fits and is comfortable, especially now when it seems every store's size is different than other stores.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second merino wool socks. I like Merino wool because it's not itchy, not too bulky and very warm.
I work outside all year and have been through many pairs of winter boots. Pretty much one pair each season. If these boots are going to be used everyday outside in the middle of winter, then definitely invest in a high-end pair like from MEC. Think about if you have to take them off and on a lot too, because it's a real pain to be messing about with buttons and laces all day. Removable liners are handy.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that Sorel's are excellent.

Also, the trick when buying and wearing winter boots is to buy 1 size larger than what you normally wear. Make sure you aren't fudging on your usual size. I know women that need to wear a size 8 1/2 and cram their feet into a size 8 because they want to appear to have smaller feet. So if you take an 8 1/2, buy a 9 1/2.

Wear layers of socks on your feet, but avoid cotton, because it doesn't wick away moisture.

The idea of wearing layers is so that the air space between the layers traps the warm air, thus providing you with insulation.

Also, when purchasing boots, make sure the soles are actually rubber and not plastic. Plastic will freeze and crack. Rubber will flex and bend when you walk. Nothing like finding out the soles of your boots have cracks in them from bending and that your feet are getting wet.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How exciting, Congratulations!!!! I am sorry that I don't have any suggestions since I've never really had to buy boots for warmth..

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try Mountain Equipment Co-Op. They have comfy cute ones for -40. Also, maybe Eddie Bauer? I think they have stores in Canada. Just not sure of their selection.

And Congratulations!!

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BABZ

Try Mountain Equipment Co-Op. They have comfy cute ones for -40. Also, maybe Eddie Bauer? I think they have stores in Canada. Just not sure of their selection.

And Congratulations!!
I think Eddie Bauer is sold through SportChek ... not that I do SportChek much because I am more a Carrhart and Work King kinda gal
Both brands are tough, hard wearing, and warm but neither company makes boots; if they do, I never paid attention.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms. Freya

Congratulations!

If you can make it to MEC, they have some awesome winter boots - most are intended for winter mountain climbing or trekking, but they're rated incredibly warm. I don't know if they have a store in St. Cats, but there's one in Toronto.
I think they just opened one in Hamilton...and I'll be in the city for a certification exam on Monday...maybe I should figure out where they are and swing by

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

There are lots of boots rated for -40 and are waterproof. Marks Workwearhouse, if you have them there, has a good line of winter boots. Probably the best are those white kneehigh skidoo style boots, as they are rated to -50. Anything rated oil patch or arctic is what you are looking for. Sorel does make something rated -40 but can't remember the model. At any rate. you want something with a removable liner and a couple of extra liners so they can dry out for a few days before you use them again. This is one instance where you do not want to go to Walmart, SUper Store, etc but to a place that deals with work wear. The two best places here are a tack shop and a privately owned workwear store. Oh and check hunting gear stores too, Remington makes warm, albeit funny looking, boots that are waterproof.
We do have a Marks here, and I'm planning on looking on Tuesday after my test (for a jacket there too). I have a pair of columbians which are fairly warm (I think they were rated at -35) but they wont fit any of those super warm bottom liners (the really thick felt ones with the metal reflective on them) and they wont be warm enough without them. Good idea with the tack shop and workwear stores. I'm thinking a co-op may be a good place to look as well.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Look at all these canadians chiming in

does it really get that cold there? kieran & i want to move there at some stage
Depends on where you live. Where I am now (Niagara region) is not so bad at all. We get some snow, but not a lot and it usually thaws between dumps. My jacket here is a heavy wool pea coat and it's fine. Where I'm moving to is about 6 hours north of here and much more like where I grew up so I know to expect 5 feet of snow and very very frigid cold weather. Basically you want really good supplies, even if you're just having to dust off the car in the morning because your skin could freeze otherwise. I'll be looking for a down parka or a fleece/windbreaker combo for this winter.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cabela's sells good boots www.cabelas.com. You also want to get the moisture wicking socks that absorb the sweat. Your biggest enemy is when your feet sweat in your boots.