Question of the Day - October 2nd - Friday

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let's talk handbag size. Do you carry a handbag? Big, small or can everything fit in your back pocket?

I would say I carry a normal size handbag. It holds everything comfortably without being cramped. It's not one of those huge bags that everyone seems to like now though.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Diaper Bag!!

I'm not a big fan of carrying my entire life around but when it comes to Lucas I need:
- diapers
- wipes
- wallet
- extra clothes
- snacks
- juice
- toys
- books
- mittens
- sweater
... it goes on & on & on...

I got my nice black diaper bag at walmart on sale actually
. I wasn't going to get another one (despite the huge rip in my old one) until hubby pointed it out, then the price! It's my 3rd diaper bag & he's only 17 months!

I miss all my old purses and visit them in my closet from time to time, one day...

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love today's question!!!
I carry a really big tote bag to classes which usually contains
a notebook
pens and pencils
my laptop if I feel like bringing it
gum
chapsticks or lip glosses
wallet, keys, phone

Wow I just realized how boring I am!! I don't really carry that much stuff lol..I actually switch between two bags, one is smaller for when I don't bring my laptop and so moving stuff usually leads me to carrying just essentials like wallet, keys, phone, and then other stuff will typically get left out, and so I just give up on carrying random little things I may need throughout the day because I know i'm most likely to forget it anyway so what's the sense of bringing something just in case I need it, when it could turn out that I happened to forget to move it exactly when I end up needing it.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normal size, just for the necessities. I can't stand those oversize bags. Besides, if I had one, I would just fill it up then I wouldn't be able to lift it,

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I like small-to-medium ones, usually carrying a medium one. I try to get by with small bags, but can't past 2 days--I end up with too much junk!

It's amazing how many you accumulate, even though you think you're "not into" handbags (like me)! I recently went through mine, and had 18. I did purge them, and donated some to the Goodwill. I had DH make a hanger in my closet. It's a strip of wood, about 7 ft long, with large, heavy brass hooks put in every few inches, then screwed to the wall. I have just enough hooks for the bags (I double some up, though), so I can't buy any more bags until one "dies".

BTW, I buy most of mine at Goodwill. They always have such nice ones, and in great (even new) condition. Mind you, I don't look at the ones in the cases (the expensive ones), but the $3.97 bags! Some of my faves are from Goodwill. I was in yesterday, and had to resist buying a cute denim bag, that had the laced corset front on it.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
at the minute the one im carrying is about the same size of the one susan put a link up for but im forever swapping which bag i carry i have waaaaaay to many

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say its a medium size with a shoulder strap. I cannot carry things in my hands for long times so I need something over the shoulder.

It holds things like my wallet, first aid supplies (few bandiads and alcohol wipes), medication, pens and small notepad, girly supplies, cell phone if I remember to take it out of the truck, and some gum.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No bags. I'm very prone to losing things and putting them all in one handy place to do so is a terrible idea.

I carry a wallet, with the typical wallet type things in it.
I have an almost OCD like behavior of constantly checking all of my pockets when away from home. I'll literally pat all of my pockets every 15-20 minutes, even if I've been sitting in the car the whole time. So far that's kept me from losing my wallet.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As soon as I started traveling with a laptop I lost the handbag. I don't need the laptop with me much anymore, but Gary bought me a lovely leather backpack in 2001 or 2002-ish and it is still GORGEOUS. I used to carry a large coach bag - but I always carried the bag over my left shoulder, and I was having so many shoulder and neck problems. The backpack solved that by distributing the weight evenly.

I cannot believe it has lasted so much longer than any of the Coach bags I ever used.
It's dark brown leather with an inside zip pocked at the top - perfect for the checkbook. The two not zip pockets have pens and my glasses in them. The third one holds my PDA.

Outside pocket on either side - one has hand wipes in it, the other has a small flashlight, pepper spray and a whistle (all easy to grab).

It has a full-size "pocket" on the back - that has some work papers in it - they don't get squished or dirty in there - and a note pad.

In the main compartment, my laptop fits if I need it. But right now it has my wallet (a Harley wallet with the chain), kleenex, a keychain with keys to locks and stuff I don't need right now but this way I always know where it is... and a little toothbrush kit.

There's also a small tote bag kind of thing (like 8" x 4" x 4") with pill bottles, collar stays, fold-up brush, fold-up lint remover thingy, medical supplies, stuff for tooth aches (for Gary), and a sewing kit.

Keys and phone usually go in my pockets - but they can go in the backpack if I don't feel like looking bulky.

I have no other bags.

Edited to add: we spend so much time in Dr.'s offices that the backpack is convenient for toting books and magazines around. !!!!!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's mid size. Got out of carrying big bags some years ago. The one I have now is a freebie and has a strap that can convert it so you can put it around your waist.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No handbag at all, here. If it doesn't fit in my pocket I figure I don't really need it. Of course, I've actually had DH carry my eyeliner in his pocket so I can fix myself after a wedding or funeral.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a LARGE....belive me its huge....bag for school. I have in it:

-5 subject notebook
-2 books
-wallet
-keys
-ipod
-phone
-sunglasses
-a gazillion pens and pencils
-highlighters, lead, erasers, other things...
-my inhaler(sp?)
-Weekly planner
-Water
-food of some sort
-sometimes Kamie (our new kitten) climbs in my bag and I have been tempted to take her with me!
-misclaneous papers and there is morejust cant think...

I also have medium purses I like to use and a few other large purses I use. I do have one small purse...that I use if I only need a few things.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing most of the time - if it cant be pocket luggage, I don't need it. BUT, I do have a nifty large wallet with a strap (wally world 12.00) that I use if I need to tote a bit more than pockets will hold or I am wearing those pocketless pants they insist on making for women

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

No bags. I'm very prone to losing things and putting them all in one handy place to do so is a terrible idea.

I carry a wallet, with the typical wallet type things in it.
I have an almost OCD like behavior of constantly checking all of my pockets when away from home. I'll literally pat all of my pockets every 15-20 minutes, even if I've been sitting in the car the whole time. So far that's kept me from losing my wallet.
I am the same way!! I hate carrying a bag cuz I constantly stop to dig inside to make sure I have everything, it's a nightmare!!
I've lost my phone 4 times in the past year and all 4 times people find it and take it to lost and found, I'm sooo lucky!! The last time i lost something, I was checking out at the bookstore and I sort of laid down my phone and keys on the counter while I get my wallet out (don't ask why I was holding them in my hand rather than had them safely put away in my bag), so I paid and left them there and walked out..lol I felt sooo embarrassed and I haven't lost anything in the past few months I think that embarrassment just taught me a lesson, knock on wood..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Get a small bag and make sure everything is sorted in it? Phone in a front pouch, keys in another (you don't want them loose scratching on a nice phone, anyways), and then the wallet in the middle?

Though I've seen guys leave their wallets in stores and had one who was in a hurry and left his debit card. Thankfully I had his number! I also had someone leave their bright orange phone...

I have a clip on my keeps and usually keep them on a belt loop - it keeps me from losing them and makes it easy to get to them in the dark.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use large handbags most of the time. I have purchased tho the smaller ones esp. when running around and don't won't to carry a lot of stuff. Right now I am using my new Italian croco leather medium sized handbag, it is the first blue bag I ever had and it's quite pretty. I just love bags with all the outside pockets so you don't always have to go inside the bag for every thing.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a small handbag, only contains my purse and mobile. I only take it to work, and carry my purse and mobile the rest of the time or use pockets.