HELP NOW- Hope ate a sheet of Bounce Dryer Sheet - what do I do???

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually she ate 2/3 of it, and gave me the other 1/3 as a prize
She went into my laundry bag, took it, and ate it. I am sure ot it - bit marks, chewed up, round, moist, etc...
She is playing, normal etc. It's been about 15 minutes.
Is this an emergency? What do you guys think??

Ok, so I checked it out - apparently it is not toxic in that quantity, but it can cause obstruction, so that is what I need to watch her for... does that sound right?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ditto. Call the vet. Better to be safe than very sorry. Why do they do these things?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so paranoid about these things that I don't even use dryer sheets anymore. Neither of my cats like them anyway, but I try to use other ways to keep my clothes soft and static free.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
call the vet .. I do not beleive the non toxic part..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been watching her, but so far so good - she is playing, eating, peeing, pooping... little brat

Oh my goodness - she scared me to death!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

On that QTY it is not toxic - you can check the safety data sheet... The problem is that it can cause obstruction.
Vet was called - "watch her - while she is eating, playing, using the box normally, she is is fine - if things change, bring her in ASAP".

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
glad you called.. I say that for personal reasons... the sceanted one still can cause a rash to me though used

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

FYI - Safety data sheet http://www.fsafood.com/msds/vault/001/001949.pdf

Ingestion: Ingestion of used or unused sheet by a young child or household pet may lead to impaction of the
gastrointestinal tract. A physician or veterinarian should be consulted.
Ingestion: Oral ingestion may result in mild gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Franklin ate part of one once when I accidentally dropped one while shaking out towels...He pooped it out later that evening when he went out before bed there was no problem from it...He went about his day normally..Now if only it would have made his breathe Spring Sunshine fresh..LOL

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had a rat die in the attic by the access door that was there a few days.? I hung a Bounce dryer sheet in that closet to help with smell. This is a vacation home. We will be back in 10 days with our cat and wondered if the smell would bother him.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Your cat should be fine.  After ten days there will hardly be any smell at all from the dryer sheet.   Hopefully, you won't need to hang any more, but if you do, try to keep the closet closed.  My cats have never had any problems with dryer sheets but yours might be more sensitive.  

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. That makes me feel better. I don ' t use dryer sheets in the laundry at all. Just wanted to get rid of the stinking rat smell. I have placed them in the out door garbage can as well to keep odors down . Thanks again!