Death of her brother

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Buddy my beloved cat died from kidney disease on wed at 12 yrs. He has a sister named Beatrice whom always stayed and slept upstairs as Buddys territory was the first floor and my bedroom. They were not the loving sister and brother as my prev cats of 20 yrs were. He often would go upstairs and mark his area, but that was Bud and I accepted it. Meanwhile Beatrice stays upstairs and perhaps runs into the cellar at night but she has not come down into the Living room nor my bedroom. Whether she knows Bud is gone I do not know. My question is how do I get her to come down and sleep with me at night and mingle downstairs??? I'm totally heartbroken and need her with me. Will time and lack of smell help??

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! Cats are creatures of habit. Can she be enticed with play toys (Da Bird comes to mind) and/or treats and with you accompanying her into short excursions into these hitherto unexplored areas so she can begin to associate them with things other than her brother? Slow and patience wins every time.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely do your absolute best to clean and remove any urine smell, she will not only feel more welcome, but not follow the leader and pee in these already marked areas........

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

I would definitely do your absolute best to clean and remove any urine smell, she will not only feel more welcome, but not follow the leader and pee in these already marked areas........
Excellent advice
I would also give her towels to sleep on upstairs or, if she already has some sort of mat, bring it down to your bed, carry her down to the spot and place her on it, comforting and soothing her the whole time, (shoulder rubs & little "finger licks" behind the ears & along the face, just like her mamakitty would have done to her) allowing her to dash off, if she needs to. Repeat the process till she relaxes. You might also spray some Feliway on that section of your bed, or try a Feliway diffuser. Sending vibes that she comes around soon, and also for your comfort and healing