Something besides pumpkin or yogurt for diarrhea?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
When I first brought Merlin home he had really stinky diarrhea which cleared up pretty well in two days. His poop isn't so stinky any more but it is still really soft, about halfway between diarrhea and tootsie rolls. I tried giving him some pumpkin but he wouldn't touch it. I even mixed it in with his wet food and he managed to lick up all the food and leave the pumpkin in a pile in the middle of the dish.
He just sniffed at the plain yogurt and walked away. He won't even eat the sweetened vanilla yogurt unless he's trying to steal Cali's.

Is there something else I can try to firm up his poop? I've never had this problem with any of my other cats.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad I read that while I was eating...

I had allot of luck with Peaches & probiotics
but her diarrhoea is because of kittens.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's been plenty of discussions lately about probiotics, and bene-bac tends to be easy enough for most people to find. You can try that out.

Eventually, though, you may have to rule out any food issues since you don't want to have to keep struggling with this.

Originally Posted by Nes

Glad I read that while I was eating...
It said diarrhea in the title - you clicked on it!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

When I first brought Merlin home he had really stinky diarrhea which cleared up pretty well in two days. His poop isn't so stinky any more but it is still really soft, about halfway between diarrhea and tootsie rolls. I tried giving him some pumpkin but he wouldn't touch it. I even mixed it in with his wet food and he managed to lick up all the food and leave the pumpkin in a pile in the middle of the dish.
He just sniffed at the plain yogurt and walked away. He won't even eat the sweetened vanilla yogurt unless he's trying to steal Cali's.

Is there something else I can try to firm up his poop? I've never had this problem with any of my other cats.
Has he been tested for all the parasites? I am assuming so and that he has been checked clear, right? I am with the others that you will also need to find out what bothers his digestive system.... For Bugsy for example, is Chicken... To help him out I swear by Bene-bac. It is SUPER fast acting super cheap, and super effective (in my book super awesome
) 1/4 tsp/day (of the powder) does the trick for him, but he is a BIG boy - 18lbs big - for a kitten I would probably give 1/8 tsp... In case of diarrhea I give the full dose, 2tsp. I would also consider adding a digestive enzyme - I use Nzyme, and Prozyme is another good one.

Good luck!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the has he been parasite tested

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slippery elm bark powder, or boiled chicken and rice can firm up stools (after a vet check of course)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Slippery elm bark powder, or boiled chicken and rice can firm up stools (after a vet check of course)
provided that he is not allergic to chicken like Bugsy is.... That remedy would give Bugsy violent diarrhea...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I had thought when I first got him that the diarrhea was likely due to a combination of stress from the move and change of diet. His breeder had been feeding TOTW but said all of her cats suddenly quit eating it. The day I picked him up she had gone out and gotten a bag of Nutro Natural Kitten food and he'd been eating that all day. She gave me some of the Nutro and I fed him a combination of that and TOTW the first day or two, then switched back to TOTW, which is what I feed all my cats.

He actually prefers wet food. I split a 5.5 oz. can among all 5 cats once a day. The girls generally eat about half of theirs and Merlin finishes it off, so he probably gets about half a can a day. I can't tell how much of the dry food he's eating because I do measured free feeding for all of them. I don't seem to be going through the dry food much faster than before.

The medical records I got from the breeder show that he was dewormed at three weeks, but no fecal tests after that. I took him to my vet the day after I got him just for a general check-up and microchip, but they didn't run any tests. I've had him for three weeks and none of my other cats are showing any signs of parasites, no diarrhea or vomiting or weight loss, so I'm thinking it's probably diet related.

I have an appointment Saturday morning for Merlin to get a booster shot. If he times it right I should be able to get a specimen to take in for them to run the fecal tests.

Where can I get Ben-e-bac? Would places like Target or Walmart have it, or do I have to go to a specialty store like PetSmart?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nes

I know, I'm a dummy, but it was the

That got me

Hope he feels better soon!!
He actually doesn't know that he's not feeling well. Still jumping on everything, including the other cats, and generally being a monkey.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
cook up some hamburger drain the grease well- add boiled rice, mix it together and feed it. This will help bind the stool provided he doesn't have coccidia, giardia or some other ailment. Be careful, diarrhea can be a precursor to some nasty diseases.

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bene-bac didn't help us whatsoever, but I would try that first (after check-up) since it is so cheap and has seemed to help so many. For us, Holistic Solutions was a godsend!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im with CarolinaLima I will swear by Bene-Bac it has helped emensley with Herc and GiGis soft poo...It was like violent diarhea or really watery or anything like that it was just soft...I can tell immediately if Ive given them their Benebac because their poo goes right back to the way it was if they have missed a dose. And I plan on buying more this weekend once I get my electric bill paid off!!