Need Good Butt Shampoo For Furry Ragdolls :)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meowmy was very mean with poor Bugsy today

He got one big old piece of poop stuck on his back fur.... no, it was not diarrhea - I thought it was... but it was normal, formed, sticky, impossible to get out wiping poop!

So fellow cat lovers, don't shoot me, but I must confess my crime: it took two trials, screams (mostly on his part (a growl on mine
)), making him into a burrito, from which he escaped........ to be "pinned" down to the bath tub floor.... to have his bum washed with (gasp) caress.

It was either that or have him drag poop around the house.... and sorry folks, I am not the cleanest in town, but that would be too much!
He survived the ordeal and has since been spoiled rotten.
Anyways - from time to time I do have similar accident in the house with 3 long hair kitties, and was wondering what is a good shampoo for the job?
I understand it need to be one good for the fur, and gentle enough on the private parts...
Thank you guys!!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, if doing just a butt bath, I use the kitchen sink filled with plain ol' water. Seems to work just fine on furry butts.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Personally, if doing just a butt bath, I use the kitchen sink filled with plain ol' water. Seems to work just fine on furry butts.
or a hygiene cut by a groomer

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Id personally go for the booty cut..I manage to do it myself to Herc and just get scissors and just trim off some of his back fur a little at a time if he has issues. Luckily since using Benebac I havent had to trim his back end in a while.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

Id personally go for the booty cut..I manage to do it myself to Herc and just get scissors and just trim off some of his back fur a little at a time if he has issues. Luckily since using Benebac I havent had to trim his back end in a while.
Well, this is not diarrhea kind of poop - this is normal poop ball smashed up and stuck to his fur really really well. Diarrhea is easier to come out. This one was tough.

Originally Posted by sharky

or a hygiene cut by a groomer
Well, for the water only... sorry, but that butt is on my face all the time during the night.... nooooo.... thank ya very much, but that's not for me. The hygiene cut from a breeder: I had these accidents a few times in a year - it is not something that happens all the time to warrant one, IMO. Bugsy used to have quite a few accidents before I realized his problem with chicken, but not that has been resolved. Now it only happens sometimes when for some reason they decide to seat on their own poop
. Yesterday, when it happened, I called several groomers to "humanely remove the poop"
, but they only had appointments for October 6th, or so...
Anyways....
Anybody with a good shampoo out there?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
warm a baby wipe or washcloth and use a non oil based soap

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's quite a bit of semi formed poo really pressed into some fur back there your best bet is to go for the scissors. Trying to wash it out ends up with really poopy water... or stinky mess on you.

If you're just looking for a good shampoo for the bad accidents you could try any cat shampoo - read the ingredients carefully since some try to stick tea treat oil in them.
There's also natural soaps, as long as you don't use anything with essential oils.
At least Bugsy will smell nice if it turns into a whole bath.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise

sorry! too funny!

Just this morning I was cleaning off one of my cats, and thinking about what other members would do in the same circumstances - I've learned that if I'm experiencing something - that someone else, here, is too.

I'm not laughing at your circumstances - but, because I'm there right with you as you're trying to clean the stuff that's stuck in their britches. And, yeah - who wants the stuff dragged into the bed, or on the carpet - yep, gotta get it taken care of no matter what we have to go through in order to clean 'em up.

Our Phoebe has long beautiful britches, and they will on occasion catch stuff, too.

She's finally gotten patient with me trying to clean her off. And right after I'm done, I give her a treat - few pieces of dry food that I use as treats. She now knows that after the cleaning she gets a treat, so she doesn't squirm as much any longer.

My Method: I use tepid water, and pieces of paper towels that I've torn in half. I wet the paper towel, and gently take a hold of the offending item with the wet paper towel, making it wet enough to dislodge stuff from her fur. I continue to do this with a new wet piece of paper towel until her britches are clean.

Keeping that tail tamed is another whole story, and because I was thinking of my own experience when I read your post I just had to laugh out loud - been there, and doing that!
Too funny now when I think about it, but, at the time I'm trying to clean her, I may be slightly frustrated with the problem of not having enough hands.

The little boy - Simon - is another whole story - I might end up getting the stuff all over me instead - sheeesh - glad he doesn't seem to have the problem as much as Phoebe.

Thanks for sharing your problem - I'm reading other posts to see if I can pick up a few pointers too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

sorry! too funny!

Just this morning I was cleaning off one of my cats, and thinking about what other members would do in the same circumstances - I've learned that if I'm experiencing something - that someone else, here, is too.

I'm not laughing at your circumstances - but, because I'm there right with you as you're trying to clean the stuff that's stuck in their britches. And, yeah - who wants the stuff dragged into the bed, or on the carpet - yep, gotta get it taken care of no matter what we have to go through in order to clean 'em up.

Our Phoebe has long beautiful britches, and they will on occasion catch stuff, too.

She's finally gotten patient with me trying to clean her off. And right after I'm done, I give her a treat - few pieces of dry food that I use as treats. She now knows that after the cleaning she gets a treat, so she doesn't squirm as much any longer.

My Method: I use tepid water, and pieces of paper towels that I've torn in half. I wet the paper towel, and gently take a hold of the offending item with the wet paper towel, making it wet enough to dislodge stuff from her fur. I continue to do this with a new wet piece of paper towel until her britches are clean.

Keeping that tail tamed is another whole story, and because I was thinking of my own experience when I read your post I just had to laugh out loud - been there, and doing that!
Too funny now when I think about it, but, at the time I'm trying to clean her, I may be slightly frustrated with the problem of not having enough hands.

The little boy - Simon - is another whole story - I might end up getting the stuff all over me instead - sheeesh - glad he doesn't seem to have the problem as much as Phoebe.

Thanks for sharing your problem - I'm reading other posts to see if I can pick up a few pointers too.
Why do I think Bugsy is like your boy Simon?

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Why do I think Bugsy is like your boy Simon?
I bet if you'd ask Bugsy and Simon they'd look at us like we're the crazy ones, and need a serious time out.

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Anyways....
Anybody with a good shampoo out there?
I use John Paul Pet Cleanse Oatmeal Shampoo Sensitive Skin Formula for the lovely chucks left on his bum. First I do try and wet the chunk with warmish water
and then lather and rinse. Mowgli's bowels are so messed up so I do shave my cat's bum, but sometimes I have to let it grow back for various reasons and that's when we sometimes end up with one of these lovely chunks from hell. Hope that helps.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a sanitary shave kind of meowmy. If I don't Isaac some how manages to leave small little "treats" around the house almost daily. I can't help much because I can't even shave him myself, I can't imagine trying to put him in any water. I will say that when I wash Levi I use shampoo called Tails I think. It's a wheat grass shampoo.