Trimmed nail too short. Is it painful?

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I trimmed Forrest's nails tonight and I got one a little too short. No drops of blood but I can definitely see the tip of the quick. Do anyone know if this is painful for him? He does not seem to be licking it or favoring that foot.

I feel like a horrible Meowmy.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did he jerk the paw or bite at you when you did it? If not, you may not be as far down as you're afraid you might be. They DO bleed when you cut into the quick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Did he jerk the paw or bite at you when you did it? If not, you may not be as far down as you're afraid you might be. They DO bleed when you cut into the quick.
He didn't react when I was trimming other than the usual "squirming" around. I was checking each nail after trimming and that was when I noticed the one nail that you could see just a hint of red. I think if I had gone just even a millimeter shorter there definitely would have been blood.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you got that close it may be a bit sore for a day or so (until it starts growing back). Or maybe not! Cats seem to have a pretty high pain tolerance, at least compared to ours!

Don't feel bad! I've done it before too,