Foster Kittens battling URI's..help please

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm fostering a litter of 6 week old foster kittens for the animal shelter.
They were brought to me a few days ago recovering from URI's and looked okay at first but three of them are getting congested and their eyes are getting gloppy again (yellow goo)
I have a humidifier running in their room and have been wiping eyes and noses several times a day.
I'm also bringing them into a steamy bathroom twice a day (for 15 minutes at a time) and have started treating the three sickest kittens eyes with teramycin.
The three sickest are also starting to show signs of dehydration..their skin isn't bouncing back as quickly as it should and they are getting more lethargic. Should I syringe water into them? I'm feeding them wet food warmed up with some salmon oil added to help them to smell it..I'm also giving Nutrical twice a day.
The shelter cannot afford to take them to the Vet and neither can I..

I'm going to let the shelter know that a few of the kittens are doing worse but they'll most likely put them to sleep if I bring them back in their condition..
Any advice on anything else that I could do how to help them out?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They need oral anti-biotics. The shelter won't see if their vet will just give them anti-biotics with a visit? We keep a variety of anti-biotics on hand at the shelter here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll e-mail and ask but I know that one of the other foster Mom's ended up taking her fosters to the vet herself because the shelter said that they couldn't afford to pay when her foster kittens were sick.
The shelter is battling a huge URI problem right now..all of their cats are under quarantine and they've lost quite a few

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please let us know how things are going.

Are there any vets you can go to who may give treatment at little or no cost since you are a foster?

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm still waiting to hear back from the shelter..I use the same Vet that the shelter does and I'll give them a call in the morning and see if they can help us out if the shelter can't..I would hate to lose any of the babies.
Fostering is so rewarding but this stuff makes it hard to handle sometimes.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The sickest baby took a sudden turn for the worst about 45 minutes ago..she's stiffening up/gasping for air and really lethargic..her temperature seems like it's dropping and I can't get ahold of anyone to help..This sucks

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's doing better.
I finally got ahold of the shelter and they gave me some ideas to help her out.
She's breathing better and her wheezing is almost gone.
She has more energy,her tone is good and she is purring up a storm.
They said that the kittens have already been on antibiotics for 14 days and they are worried that its turned into pnemonia..I'm going to see how she's doing tomarrow and go from there.
If needed they said to bring her in to be put down

Poor little one's.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ciera (the kitten) is doing much better this morning.
We've been keeping a really close eye on her but I'm thinking that she's going to pull through

The rest of the kittens (there are 7 total) are doing great!

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittiesx2

Ciera (the kitten) is doing much better this morning.
We've been keeping a really close eye on her but I'm thinking that she's going to pull through

The rest of the kittens (there are 7 total) are doing great!
Great!!

I am praying for her