The "bath vs. shower" debate!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, so maybe you remember the long discussion about who takes showers and who takes baths, and why.

But maybe this discussion will change some minds?

Infected Shower Heads

The gist is that the majority of shower heads are infected with some very nasty bacteria and are perfectly situated to infect your lungs and skin with them.

The scientists responsible suggest just taking off the shower head and showering in the stream of water. Of course, that would be just about like taking a bath, wouldn't it? And there wouldn't be a water-use restrictor in the line any more, so you'd use a lot more water and energy.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i clean the shower head every day and as soon as i get out the shower i spray it with a shower cleaner then its cleaned with a disinfectant cleaner every weekend

i cant physically have a bath in my flat because there isnt one

I saw that article in the newspaper a couple weeks ago was quite interesting actually

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I spray mine with a bleach cleaner once a week. baths just seem dirty soaking in your dirty water..

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

I spray mine with a bleach cleaner once a week. baths just seem dirty soaking in your dirty water..
I guess that would depend largely on how often you bathe as to how dirty your water is (will be).

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ewww! Ewwy, Ewwy, EWWWWWWW!!!

We're on well water but we recently had an issue were we tested & found a large coliform bacteria load (the bacteria that says there maybe something worse there). We drained the well & the issue went away (we just tested and we're testing again in another month or so) but I'm going to clean my shower head TODAY!!!

That is SO gross!!!

Watch J&J is going to come out with something you twist onto your shower head to "clean it" that just sprays nasty chemicals at you and into our water

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the story said the first burst of water that comes out is the worst, and plastic shower heads were worse than metal heads (going from memory). We always run the shower for a bit before we get in anyway until the water adjusts, and have a metal head, so it doesn't bother me.

Baths are for soaking in occasionally, but having on a daily basis.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I guess that would depend largely on how often you bathe as to how dirty your water is (will be).
I know i'm certainly not dirty

I won't have a bath in a hotel, only a shower, so now i'll be thinking of their shower heads when i go away next month

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ewww....Our bath tub is not so big, but I do love baths! Maybe I will clean the shower head more often....

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I think the story said the first burst of water that comes out is the worst, and plastic shower heads were worse than metal heads (going from memory).
Thanks sarah, that article was VERY hard to read. That does make me feel better since I have to leave our shower running 2-3 minutes before it gets to temp (we have water pressure issues).

Still, I'm SO cleaning my shower head :x.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bacteria is on the inside of the shower head so for those that clean with bleach, you actually have to remove the shower head

I always run mine for a bit to get the temp correct also and with all I breathe in outdoors, I can cope with the shower

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

OK, so maybe you remember the long discussion about who takes showers and who takes baths, and why.

But maybe this discussion will change some minds?

Infected Shower Heads

The gist is that the majority of shower heads are infected with some very nasty bacteria and are perfectly situated to infect your lungs and skin with them.

The scientists responsible suggest just taking off the shower head and showering in the stream of water. Of course, that would be just about like taking a bath, wouldn't it? And there wouldn't be a water-use restrictor in the line any more, so you'd use a lot more water and energy.
Mike, if you remember peeking in my master bedroom I have a standalone shower and big jacuzzi bath. I fill the Jacuzzi while showering off just to get the dirt off and to be clean before getting in the Jacuzzi. I learned this method in Japan, you never get into a bathtub unless you are already squeaky clean.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While we're on topic - what do you guys use to clean your shower/bath?

Ours is gross because of hard water. The walls are fine but it's the floor that's slowly turning orange again. I try to use only natural cleaners (vinegar) but I think I need to get some CLR again :S.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nes

Ours is gross because of hard water. The walls are fine but it's the floor that's slowly turning orange again. I try to use only natural cleaners (vinegar) but I think I need to get some CLR again :S.
Try Oxiclean. It works wonders for me.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

The bacteria is on the inside of the shower head so for those that clean with bleach, you actually have to remove the shower head
Exactly. You can take the shower head off and soak it in vinegar to loosen up the lime scale. That's what I do, then rinse and spray it down with some bleach and set it aside while cleaning everything else.

Literally half of my master bath is tile. Tacky 60s tiles (it'll go eventually, but that'll be a big expensive mess). To clean them I like to used things like comet or ajax and a nylon scourer to scrub any soap scum off. In between scrubbing I have a bleach and vinegar solution that I mix up for sanitizing surfaces.
The bathrooms are always cleaned with bleach, though. I'm a C.diff carrier and bleach is the only house hold cleaner that will take take care of it.

BTW - I remember reading this back on the 15th? and stuff about it before. I never thought to post anything about it here since I figured people simply wouldn't be interested.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nes

I use scrubbing bubbles foaming bathroom cleaner. It works really well and leaves things really shiny and clean. I also have Mr. Clean bathroom and kitchen cleaner that I use sometimes and it cleans pretty good. I used to use that where I used to live with well water that turned the tub a yellow colour and it got it clean.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Mike, if you remember peeking in my master bedroom I have a standalone shower and big jacuzzi bath. I fill the Jacuzzi while showering off just to get the dirt off and to be clean before getting in the Jacuzzi. I learned this method in Japan, you never get into a bathtub unless you are already squeaky clean.
I always thought the Japanese had the right idea there.

Personally I love bubble baths but I usually take a bath and then rinse off with the shower after. I would do it the other way around if I had the separate shower and bath or if I had a bathtub that didn't have issues draining after a shower. :p

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A bath isn't an option in our home - no tub - but Gary's such a freak he removes the shower head and soaks it in a bleach solution every week. AND it takes a minute or so for the hot water to run into the bathroom, so *phew*.

Oh - and we bleach the lines in the RV from the faucet outside about every two months. We replace the hose providing the water at least 2x a year.

...but...

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's why you C.L.R. it!

I hate the way the lady in that commercial talks...

I still prefer bath's to showers but here at my grandparent's house I'd rather shower because their tub is straight up nasty.

It's been cleaned...but it went so long without being cleaned that no matter how much you scrub it, it still looks disgusting and I don't want to sit in it.