What type of rabies vacc. and how often?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just wondering if you know what type of rabies vaccinations your kitties get?

My vet offers 2 types - a recombinant vaccine which is: Live rabies virus vaccines comprising a recombinant rabies virus genome which overexpresses the rabies virus G protein increase apoptotic activity in infected cells, and enhance the generation of anti-rabies immunity in a subject.

Or the kill vaccine (not sure what the more technical term is), which is a killed virus.

The recombinant can be done yearly, and the kill vaccine is done every 3 years, as it holds it's strength for that long.

I needed to get the kill vaccine done again so I can get a rabies titer test for quarantine regulations, in case we move back to Australia in the next year, which we may. It meant giving Smudge and Stumpy another vaccination before they were due - I think Smudge had hers last year, and Stumpy the year before. I don't like over-vaccinating, but it has to be done if they are to come back to Australia with us

We'll have to make sure that if we don't go back next year, then we wait a few years (which we would most likely do), so as not to overvaccinate them.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
merial now has a 3 yr without the icky stuff

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So just the straight kill vaccine, not the recombinant?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

So just the straight kill vaccine, not the recombinant?
yeah
also look for the one with out mecury

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet uses the PureVax rabies vaccine,

it is an annual vaccine because it does not contain the adjuvant which is what is thought to cause vaccine site sarcoma. The adjuvant, while making the vaccine stay longer in the body, is what is thought to cause the vaccine site sarcomas.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Local laws here state that they must be done yearly, and as a director at the shelter we are supposed to lead by example so they get yearly Merial vaxxes, our shelter vet uses PureVax.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

My vet uses the PureVax rabies vaccine,

it is an annual vaccine because it does not contain the adjuvant which is what is thought to cause vaccine site sarcoma. The adjuvant, while making the vaccine stay longer in the body, is what is thought to cause the vaccine site sarcomas.
that is what my vet uses for all his vaccs.