Eek a tsunami warning!!!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just got up to a tsunami warning - its projected to arrive in an hour to two hours.

There was a massive earthquake in Samoa - 8.3. Gosh, I hope the Samoans are okay

They are saying the wave is about a metre high. I don't get it, if it is only a metre high, then why issue warnings????

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-p...er-Samoa-quake

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is all over the news here and they ay it might hit hawaii around 1 their time.
I hope everyone is ok in Somoa.
I do have friends from Somao.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no!!!! Good luck, I hope everything will be fine

I guess it's still 1m high by the time it reaches the shore, whereas waves are normally petered out by then? In which case, it would cause maybe only localised flooding?? I have no idea...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sam is up in the North Island which may be affected more than the south, where I am. I have just texted my dad and asked him why the warning if the wave is only 1 metre high, he said that it won't be like a wave, it will be more like a bulldozer. Shivers.

The first area that is projected to be hit is where my sister in law to be and my nephew and niece are currently visiting her family.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I heard that on the news a few minutes ago. Many for our Kiwis and everyone else who might be affected by it.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm guessing they're just being super careful after the big one back in 2004. They need to make sure everyone's off beaches, nobody is walking near the shoreline, or out surfing, fishing etc.

Are you near the water?

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live about 3 mins (drive) from the beach. Does that count? Its about 1 mile away.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My dad must think I am paranoid! But after 2004, I am not taking any chances. My son is doing a sport camp and its closer to the beach and so I texted him to ask him if I should think about going to pick him up and take him home, but dad said that no, if there was a real danger, there would be a real civil defence alert. This is just a warning.

I think I will breathe now.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

dad said that no, if there was a real danger, there would be a real civil defence alert. This is just a warning.
He has a point really?. This is the worst thing about the news because they can make people panic when it's not necessary.

Is the sport camp ran by the school?. If it is could you ring them to see what they think?

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, its run by Sport Canterbury. If there is a problem, they will be notified.

They have just notified the citizens of the Coromandel which is up north to move to higher ground. It is projected to hit in 10 minutes.

I know I am probably over reacting.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Is the sport camp ran by the school?. If it is could you ring them to see what they think?
I just checked in with them...they will notify us/take the kids to higher ground if the situation gets worse so I will be on my toes!!!!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have just found out that a friend is on holiday in Samoa! I hope she is okay.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

I just checked in with them...they will notify us/take the kids to higher ground if the situation gets worse so I will be on my toes!!!!
Oh my goodness, now I am very anxious for you! Yikes!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please be safe... Don't be a hero, and always always err to the side of caution...

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Please be safe... Don't be a hero, and always always err to the side of caution...
Don't worry, I won't.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The waves will get taller as they approach shore.

There was a professor at my old university who was either scuba diving or snorkeling offshore when one approached and all she noticed was that the water became murky. On her way back to the shore, she saw hotel furniture floating in the water!

I would not take any chances and would head inland or upward.