Why did I do this???

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have vet appointments for ALL 3 CATS in 45 minutes. I'm an idiot. It was originally for yesterday morning so DH could come with me, but then I had to change it, so made it for today, but couldn't get it for a time where DH could come too.

So now I have to wrangle all 3 cats. Lily doesn't like being picked up, and hates being put in the carrier. She also just KNOWS when I'm walking to her to pick her up, and once she senses it, she hides and won't come out.

She's gotten a bit better since the last time so I'm going to try to scruff her using a towel, so I can wrap the towel around her, then shove her + towel into the carrier.

Smudge can be a butthead about going into the carrier, and has had a bunch of vet trips lately so may get rather annoyed with me for trying to shove her in.

Stumpy should be fine, but I have a different sort of carrier for her which is a bit smaller and we haven't tried before.

Eep! Wish me luck!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Good Luck!

Seeing as my husband refuses to take the two of them to the vet together without "Alpha" (me), I can sympathize. Hopefully they'll all just be good about the carriers today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whew, back! Lily struggled and freaked out, but I've learnt not to let her go - it does not help her in the long run, so I juggled and wrestled her and it wasn't too bad. Smudge pretty much walked in to the carrier with just a push to the back end, and Stumpy was a pain this time. My third carrier I have never used and was one a friend gave me. It's very small and Stumpy just said "nope nope, not going!" Lucky I had a cardboard carrier as well, so could just dump her in that and she was fine.

Lily needed her annual check up and is completely healthy, and they all needed rabies vaccinations, so that was done too. Whew!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't it funny how they just KNOW when something is going to be to their liking and when not! Biscotte is my little horror for getting in a carrier or for taking medicine - she can sense it before I have said or done anything. And then she is in the top of the bookcase and I have no chance of getting her down. I always allow an hour to catch her if I have to take her somewhere. And at other times I just call her name, she always meows in answer and then comes straight to me for a headbutt.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Isn't it funny how they just KNOW when something is going to be to their liking and when not! Biscotte is my little horror for getting in a carrier or for taking medicine - she can sense it before I have said or done anything. And then she is in the top of the bookcase and I have no chance of getting her down. I always allow an hour to catch her if I have to take her somewhere. And at other times I just call her name, she always meows in answer and then comes straight to me for a headbutt.
Flowerbelle and Tuxedo are this way. We've taken to getting the crates out two days before they have to go and leaving them open. Thank goodness we have crates that open from the top! We start calling all of them for treats at odd times of the day - getting them all confused. Then when it's time, we call them for treats - while they're eating, we close the doors so they can't escape anywhere it's hard to wrangle them - and as we put down a second round of treats, we nab 'em.

Glad all went OK Sarah!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, I feel for ya! Glad everything worked well for you, and went okay for the kitties!

I never make an appointment for all three...did it once, and I will never, ever again!!!

I tossed Cleo in the bathroom, Lola on the back porch, and Maggie in the entry way. Then, and only then, did I bring the carriers upstairs. Each cat was wrangled separately into their despised carrier and shuttled out to the car. Holy Mister...what a cacophony on the way to and from. They're all drama queens trying to out meow each other. That trip effectively cured me of ever attempting that stunt again!!! Whew!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrandall2000

You are one brave meowmy! I did it once with two cats and vowed never to do it again.
Hey my vet is in Sunnyvale

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhh the joys of getting cats in cages. I get up extra early when leaving for cat shows so I can get the Exotics in but the Persians normally are already asleep in them (since I leave them out, but I know you've already tried that Sarah).

And how were they? everything OK with their check ups? or was it those titre (sp?) shots??

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Smudge and Stumpy both sleep in their carriers when they're not being transported in them, so they're generally fine. Lily would freak out no matter how long it had been out for - it's the semi-feral in her. Poor baby spins in circles and does headstands in her efforts to get out of the carrier
She settles down eventually though.

Only Lily needed a check up, but they all needed their rabies vaccinations so I can get the titer tests in a few weeks.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Smudge pretty much walked in to the carrier with just a push to the back end,
cute
i can just imagine

Originally Posted by sarahp

Lucky I had a cardboard carrier as well, so could just dump her in that and she was fine.
oh yes yes cardboard carriers.
i'm definitely a fan (i still have the first and only cardboard carrier ever given to me by Penny's foster parents. ..so convenient; i won't part with it. plus it reminds me of Penny as a baby)

Anyway, be glad you won't need to be this type of busy bee for a long time

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

Anyway, be glad you won't need to be this type of busy bee for a long time
Actually we need to do it again in a couple of weeks to get their rabies titer tests!

zirpkatze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i feel for you. 3 of mine have the same vet schedule. the screaming in the car gets to me, it's like they feed of each other.
on a positive note, combining them all saves time and gas money