Another food choice question-pouches?

counttopula

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, I've decided to transition to wet food now that I've researched this. Of course I'm still trying to decide on a brand. I have one overweight & one normal weight cat. So, the overweight cat definitely needs an overhaul in food after reading about all the carbs he is getting with dry food cheaper varieties! Anyway, what are your thoughts about the semi-soft or pouch treats/food? I've seen some of these on the websites I've been checking out-I'm looking at the good food like Nature's Variety, Wellness, etc. Also, if any of you experts have a recommendation on transitioning from Purina One dry to wet and what wet food I should go with, I would be grateful!! Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
pouches are fine... wellness makes several that are grain free ..

IMHO go to the store and buy 2 cans of every brand and flavor ( check return policy as some are not happy to exchange )

kitty queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did that. lol. Bought like one of everything because my boy is very picky.

My caution to you is with the transitioning and fiber content. Really a good transition should take up to a month. My boy went from Royal Canin (after 3 yrs) to blue buffalo. He got loose stool because he wasn't used to it and I put him on a weight control formula which had a way high fiber content. It gave him loose stool. Once I switched him off the weight control he was fine.

So... just be careful with weight control.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

counttopula

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, so I bought blue diamond dry to mix with purina one to start transitioning. I also bought eagle pack holistic wet-they ate that up, but complained about the mixed dry. Apparantly they hate blue diamond! So any suggestions for a dry they might touch so I can transition them slowly. I want to eventually just get them all on wet, which btw, they had no trouble liking at all. So I don't think I'll have the dry food pickies as I've read on here from some of you! I didn't spend a whole lot-we have a local (rural) store that had some on sale. The dry was cheaper than purina one & the wet was 79 cents a small (9lives size) can & 30 % off. So any advice on how to continue this transition plus other food options is greatly appreciated!~

counttopula

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

do not mix wet and dry
Why not? If this is an issue, should I just switch to completely wet now?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
wet can grow bacteria quickly

wet and dry can be served but in seprate bowls

counttopula

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, OK. Well, I did know that & haven't been mixing them! It's a mute point, however, because they are refusing to eat the Diamond that I mixed with the last bit of their dry Purina One. So I guess we have transitioned to wet food already-lol! On a cool note, my fat boy is much more satisifed & the small cans are lasting the two of them about 5 feedings, so they're definitely eating less. This food is the Eagle Pack holistic. So, should I stay with it or move on to a completely grain free wet food?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would add in some grain free ... but ep is a solid brand and their wet IMHO is good

counttopula

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone,

I had another question that I sort of saw addressed before. I can't believe how picky they've gotten after one week on wet food. Now they are starting to turn their noses up at the turkey flavors & only want the fish! So should I go on & transition to grain free wet & what are good brands of this? I'm going to buy out my local feed store that has the EP 30 % off plus it's already very cheap. After that, what should I do? Also, should I mixed a bit of fish flavored into the chicken or turkey flavored. Will it hurt them to have fish daily like the other posted asked?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by counttopula

Thanks everyone,

I had another question that I sort of saw addressed before. I can't believe how picky they've gotten after one week on wet food. Now they are starting to turn their noses up at the turkey flavors & only want the fish! So should I go on & transition to grain free wet & what are good brands of this? I'm going to buy out my local feed store that has the EP 30 % off plus it's already very cheap. After that, what should I do? Also, should I mixed a bit of fish flavored into the chicken or turkey flavored. Will it hurt them to have fish daily like the other posted asked?
you can mix it if you want ... if there is no UTI issues then wet fish is fine , the cats may have digestive issues with turkey

counttopula

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! As I'm typing my very hungry boy is nuzzling my elbow while standing on my lap. I think he knows I went and cleaned out the local feedstore's supply of EP. I got the big cans for .93 per can; hoping that's a good deal!! Now to find some grain free to start mixing in. I actually ended up buying about 21 cans today, so we're on a roll here! Any suggestions for grain free wet?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried a few cans with the "gravy" stuff and none of mine will eat it. They tried it once - and promply threw it all up.

I stick to the solid "pate" type of canned food with none of the gravy additives.