Box Spring

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At night, Loki likes to go under the bed, lay on his back, dig his claws into the box spring, and scoot around.

Tonight, I looked under the bed and didn't see him.
It turns out, he made a hole in the box spring and is now inside of it. Our mattress set is only about a year old.

I need to figure out how to keep him from going in there so we don't squash him.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on the style of frame you have for your bed, you could get a sheet or two of plywood or particle board and lay it in the frame and then put the box spring on top of it. If you are really crafty, you could cover the plywood in felt so it is better on your box spring.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

At night, Loki likes to go under the bed, lay on his back, dig his claws into the box spring, and scoot around.
I'm sorry for laughing, but i have the image of him in my head doing that because Rosie used to do it to the bottom of the sofa when she was little

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Reilly does that too
I've never figured out how to stop him

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just tacked a sheet to the bottom of the box spring. problem solved!

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We had to cut our box spring in two in order to get it into the upstairs of our house (it was an old box spring) because the house is so old. So there are lots of nice hiding spots IN the box spring for Tasha

I remember being woken up one night because my entire bed is shaking & Tasha is IN the box spring & Miss Kitty is scooting around under the bed & they were trying to kill each other (or play, it was hard to tell at 3am)!!

I was NOT impressed.

I wouldn't worry about squishing her, we havn't squished tasha yet
. I also havn't figured out a way to keep her out of the box spring, she'll just rip another sheet if I put that over the hole - it's her favourite spot!

Plus Tasha is a very shy cat, so I figure having a good higding spot to retreat to is only goign to help her

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fatman Hercules GiGi and Franklin all ripped out the dohickey under our box spring too..Some nights we have all four under there playing or sleeping...I was going to put a sheet under there and staple it to the box spring but I figured they would just rip that open too if they are that determined to get under there.Especially Fatman thats where he sleeps and hides.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heavy percale sheet.

The stuff put under box springs is filmy and very attractive to cats. A heavy percale sheet does not take claws well.

Or...I liked the poster's idea with the thin plywood placed over the bed frame before putting the box springs down. cats aren't going to claw through that.

I know cats like to have hide away places, but I don't consider the box springs a good safe place to hide for a cat. Impossible, almost, to get kitty out of there, should you need to. and springs can be dangerous, danger of pinching kitty, or getting a claw stuck.

Give kitty a cardboard box or closet corner to hide away, and block off the box springs, IMO!

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had this problem too...

What I did was perform surgery on said box spring and completely removed the bottom of it, so now there is just the top and sides and I put a big block in the center underneath to help support it. I don't think this would work for all box springs, luckily mine just happens to be exceptionally sturdy. But now there is no way to get inside it, as there is nothing there to support the kitties underneath. And I do believe they have come to rather like it because of all the extra head room under the bed.

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kiki disappeared the other day too. She had figured out there was a hole in the box spring (it was torn during our last move). For now I have taped it up with duct tape, but I like the sheet idea or maybe even the plywood.

milk maid

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about covering it with carpet, staple it to the wood frame and that may just do the trick at least it should last a while.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not get some of those "under bed organizers?" You can store stuff in them and then slide them under the bed, thus filling up the space so that your kitty can't get under there?

The other option is to get a platform frame and put the box spring/mattress on it and that way you don't have openings under your bed. However, the draw back of a platform frame is that you can't easily move your bed if you want to rearrange your furniture.

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I couldn't help but smile and laugh when I read this.
My first cat use to do this and you brought back some great memories for me!

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Why not get some of those "under bed organizers?" You can store stuff in them and then slide them under the bed, thus filling up the space so that your kitty can't get under there?

This is what we do now. They make great one's that are made to go under the bed and they are totally air tight and cat proof!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today's box springs are not actually springs but just a foundation. Mine is a wood frame covered in material. The bottom portion was just a flimsy cloth covering the frame. I had the bed for a month when I brought the girls home. They completely shreaded the cloth! When I have time, I am going to buy some inexpensive material and staple to the frame!

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

That's the way mine is, so I just let Tasha have it as long as they promise not to wake me up playing in there any more!!